Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preferred method for training to heel

Options
  • 17-12-2008 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Have the rescue doggie about two weeks now! Have been successful at training her to do a few tricks, few obedience tricks etc. But walking her on a leash is still a bit of a struggle. I've read a few methods online - but we haven't really settled on one to start her with yet. At the moment if she's pulling too hard, I stop and get her to sit beside me on a loose leash until I'm ready to move off. Which she's quite good at - and she will stay and wait at the side of the road until I move off also. It's just WHEN we get moving, she's still really straining! She's a big enough dog, so it gets very frustrating!

Any tips/methods/tricks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

For the physical aspect of her strength you could try a Halti headcollar. With a regular collar, a dog can lean all it's weight into the collar and pull, but they can't do this with a headcollar. It should be easier to train her what "heel" means once you're not being dragged around!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Thanks for that - I'm kinda hoping to train her with a normal collar. She's smart enough to pick up any kind of instruction, it's more me who needs to know how to give it! I'm sure if I knew what to do, she'd pick it up in a flash. With the help of some sizzlers of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Changing direction immediately helps with the straining. It's easier to do in an open area than on a pathway though. You go in a completely different direction the minute the dog starts to strain - "jerk the leash" (this is a sort of admonishing movement involving pulling the dog both close to you and along with you, just for a moment) change direction, say 'heel' in a firm but light voice - do these three things together. I'm sure there are videos on youtube that would illustrate it better than I'm describing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A harness might be a good option anyway, because with all the pulling it can put a strain on the dogs throat and they end up coughing.
    Even a normal but comfortable harness may help worth a go anyway.

Some may disagree with me but I think we should all be switching to harnesses, I will be not because of pulling but for the comfort of the dog, if you have to stop a dog suddenly you have to pull on their neck with a harness the dog feels the tension on the lead but doesn't put any strain on the dogs neck.

My little dog stopped pulling as much on her Puppia harness..just a regular soft harness for small dogs, she's a bigger puller than my collie.
    The collie is getting one as soon as I find a comfortable one for her, I find once they've let off a bit of steam in our garden first then they don't pull on the lead or they pull a little until we get walking a bit then they calm down and walk slower.

You could practice at home walking to heel with no lead on, use one clear command and treats by your side or lots of praise if she does what you need her to do. It might take a bit of time, it's only been two weeks but I do think harnesses have their place and they are normally not used for training but used as a day to day thing, replacing the lead on the collar in most cases.
    There's a lot of smaller dogs walked with harnesses nowadays but I'm seeing more larger dogs as well, I think also with some dogs they can feel the harness around them so tend not to pull as much and even if you are loosely holding the lead they still feel the harness so think you are holding them firmly so don't tend to pull as much.

Not talking about all dogs of course but it's worked for my little pooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We are having a similar problem with our pup. He pulls like a train! He is fine for anything else - waits at roadside before crossing, wont cross until the green man lights and beeps etc - but once he gets going he is, lets say, in a hurry!
    I know there are harnesses that also use a muzzle piece that pulls the head to the ground when they pull on the lead, but ours is a Shar Pei and I cant get one to fit his fat face!
    The woman in puppy class is to get back to us with a suggestion so here's hoping...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Halti do a harness with a clip to the front of the chest too (not just the head collar). I think there's a few harnesses like that. It still works the same - they pull, they dont get anywhere but its safer because the dogs arent getting their necks whipped around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Update after a few days of the 'walking in opposite direction' method!

When we're walking her to her usual walk/play spot - she's straining on the leash. So I turn around and walk the other way - she seems a bit confused as to why we're going home, but she walks perfectly to heel. So I take the opportunity here to praise, give treats etc. The minute we turn around - she's straining again. I suppose it will just take time. I have found that she's improving. And on the way home from walks & play she's great. I think she's just so excited (esp when I have the ball thrower in my hand) that all training goes out the window.. for now anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

have a read of this

Advertisement