Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you buy your pets Xmas presents?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else buy their pet a new collar/toy/bed for Xmas, or am I the only big softie around here!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭littlemisspiggy

I usually buy her a new toy but generally end up giving it to her before Christmas morning - I can't resist seeing her get all excited!! My oh's family (we have christmas day with them every year) always buys my dog a present for under the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Eh, usually something small, like treats or a new toy that I haven't gotten around to buying any other time. But she's just as happy to play around in the gift trash (bags/boxes/etc.), so I just try to leave it around a bit longer for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

We are going to buy our dog a pigs ear and wrap it in wrapping paper and put it under the tree. He's a springer spaniel and his job will be to find it with his nose!

arctictree wrote: »
    We are going to buy our dog a pigs ear and wrap it in wrapping paper and put it under the tree. He's a springer spaniel and his job will be to find it with his nose!

I know its slightly off topic - but I do something similar during the year. I cut up a cooked sausage (she goes wild for them) and then hide bits round the house. Her job is to find them. It sometimes take a while but she spends hours sniffing round just in case she missed one. She's a cocker spaniel cross so has the gundog genes.

she also has one of these - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_toys_dog_training/intelligence_games/13172

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I usually get them Those christmas stockings for pets you get from pet stores.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

We bought our guys Christmas stockings the other day filled with doggie goodies.

But Jericho cried so much for them, when I came home the scene was like a Lassie movie. He took me over to where the stockings were hid, pointing with his nose and crying to let me know he knew where they are and wanted them!.

I gave in :o

Mairt wrote: »
    We bought our guys Christmas stockings the other day filled with doggie goodies.

But Jericho cried so much for them, when I came home the scene was like a Lassie movie. He took me over to where the stockings were hid, pointing with his nose and crying to let me know he knew where they are and wanted them!.

I know what you mean. My dog knows where I store her treats and when I get home she goes and sits in front of it and cries til she gets one. She has me well trained!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Bit off topic but, we were down in my parents house last weekend and brought the dog along.

They had just put up their XMas tree. Even though he is well house trained, he strolls over to it, cocks his leg and pees on it!! I was cracking up laughing, lucky there were no pressies under it yet!!

(Oh, and he was given a stern NO from the wife!)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

SeekUp wrote: »
    Eh, usually something small, like treats or a new toy that I haven't gotten around to buying any other time. But she's just as happy to play around in the gift trash (bags/boxes/etc.), so I just try to leave it around a bit longer for her.

same here, our dog loves the idea of opening presents. Usually if we wrap a squeaky toy even when she has found it she still plays with the wrapping trying to get it to make some noise.

I think i will just wrap up some cat food and let them tear it apart and find the catfood as it comes out. I imagine they will both get squeaky toys on their visit to the in-laws for christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I normally buy a present for my dog. I wrap up and everything and even though she knows there's something in there for her she doesn't 'unwrap' it until Christmas morning! I'm bringing her to get her booster shots and to get microchipped in an hour though. Something makes me think she won't like her early Christmas present!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mairt wrote: »

You're such a softie. :P

This will be our first year with a dog. The cats always get "my" turkey from the christmas dinner so will probably do the same with harley, just an extra bit of nice food.

Although we do need to get some doggy supplies like a bean bag bed, a reflective jacket, a few more toys, a lead and collar, a proper bowl (all donations greatfully accepted :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My previous cat got a cat stocking without fail all her life every year for 18 years herself and the other cats did appreciate it too.
    This year guineapigs will get extra veggies, the budgies will get some extra treats, Rocky cockatiel is getting a new cage but won't be able to order it until next week so it will be after xmas before he gets it.
    Will be baking oat and honey with cinnamon cookies for the dogs, although they had some samples today and they went down very well. Gingerbread men shaped of course! Will post a piccie of some I made earlier in the week shortly they're very cute.
    They'll also get leftover meat which is something they don't get very often poor deprived things mind you it's not like they appreciate it, my two swallow it without even tasting it.

Don't forget the wild birds this xmas if anyone has suet or lard they can make fat treats by melting the fat, throwing in lots of seeds and put into a plastic cup with a bit of string in the center, pop in fridge, once set plastic can be taken off and they can be popped onto a tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

yep i do, i breed bengals currently have 4 cats one king charles spaniel
    and i get them a advent calendar each, so they get a little treat every day stocking with toys each then they have at least 4lbs of turkey allocated only too them, a small present under the tree each,
    so yes i do as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I do Secret Santa with other members of an animal rescue forum so presents have been arriving from their Secret Santas over the last couple of weeks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Yeah, we buy them stuff too.

This year they got a hamper each :eek:
    Blanket, biscuits, choc treats, box of other weird treats, rope toy, rubber ring toy, rawhide christmas card, different tubs of food :o

Then since the middle of November they've been getting their other gifts.
    The rottie got a Ruff Wear backpack, RW coat, RW beacon
    The papillon got a RW coat and a RW beacon

Though they could be my presents since I want them seen at night :D and not soaked to the skin (the rottie is a sick girl regularly losing her own coat so needs a proper coat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Honey is getting a tartan coat and a stocking from me... my neightbour left in a present for her today and the rest of my family all no doubt have pressies for her too.... shush don't tell her though cos I'm still telling her she has to be a good girl until Christmas morning lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yep. I got two hampers from Husse. A cat one for my two to share and a dog one for my brothers new miniature Yorkie who is only 10 weeks old so the toys are probably all bigger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

Its the Husse ones I got as well. When you open the Rocky biscuits, they smell like Rich Tea :D
    I was tempted to put a bit o' butter on them meself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

well my new little puppy bessie will be spoiled we got her her own sock and have bought so much stuff it wont all fit in it he he cant wait to give them to her:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I usually get Samhain (my cat) a small toy. But last year, she got spoiled. We moved from a very warm climate in Florida to a very cold climate in Boston. I was worried that she would get cold during the day, when my landlord turns the heat off, so I bought her a heated cat bed for Christmas. I spent more on her than I did on anyone else that Christmas!
    She loves her heated bed though. She barely left it all this past weekend (we had a ton of snow and the temp is in the negatives right now!). I think it was definitely worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Yep always. Got him a toy from the ISPCA site this year. I wrap it up and let him open it himself coz he loves ripping up paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Was going to get my cat a new bowl today and my mam got her a new collar but she's jsut been knocked down and gone to great big cat heaven in the sky :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Along with the cat stockings I got them, my mam bought my cats new beds for Xmas!

They seem quite pleased!

xmaskittiesmt5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I didn't buy my dog anything but he got more off my friend and family than I did. He done well this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yeah new collar and lead, bowl and new hairbrush. Gave it to him before christmas though.

Didnt know what to get the rabbit though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I got my own cat, Jess a new collar. We have to have spares as shes always coming home collarless!
    I get all the animals I petsit for during the year pressies for Christmas. I even got videos from clients this year of the dogs opening their presies under the tree on Christmas morning. So cute!!!

Advertisement