If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between these Samsung LCD TV's?

Options
  • 17-12-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi,

I would like to buy a reasonably good 19" Flat screen LCD TV at the best price possible so I've been searching around and I read that Samsung are a good buy so I did a little more digging but can't figure out what the difference is between these 3 so-called LCD TV's... can anyone please explain and advise?

DID Electrical: 299.95
    SAMSUNG (LE19R86BXXEU)
    19" HD Ready Glossy Black LCD TV

Powercity: 199.95
    SAMSUNG
    SAMSUNG 19" HD READY LCD.
    - WIDE SCREEN.
    - FAST 5MS RESPONSE TIME.
    - PC MONITOR READY.
    - TILT BASE.
    - NOT WALL MOUNTABLE

komplett.ie: 199.00
    Samsung 19" LCD-TV
    Syncmaster 932MW, Widescreen, TV-tuner, DVI, 5ms

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given. Apologies if it's an obviously stupid question!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mlelsc

Why are you going with Samsung! Philips invent the technology and then the other companies purchase it off them! Philips are way ahead of the rest so I would personally go with them than any other brand name. You get what you pay for you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ivorystraws

Ok, thanks for the response but the Phillips LCD TV is more or less the same price at Powercity i.e. 290.95.

Anyway, I appreciate your advice but I don't want a Phillips and I'd still like to know what the difference is between the makes... I'm guessing some of them are just LCD Monitors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The second one is a PC monitor / TV. I have the 22" version in my bedroom, the T220HD, Tesco were doing them for €224 a few weekends ago.

samsung1.jpg

I find it fine for bedroom use, and it's a beautifully designed set.
    However, being designed as a monitor, the viewing angle is not brilliant (if you look at it from an angle the screen darkens) and the sound is a bit on the tinny side. And as the powercity ad says, its not wall mountable.

But for my bedroom, its perfect and I got it cheap enough.

Thanks JoeA3, that's actually very helpful! I didn't really understand what the difference was between those previously detailed. This is for a present as a bedroom TV so I was wondering why the 100 euro price difference??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think its mainly down to the technology in the screen, the cheaper one as I said is primarily meant to be a monitor (so it's a "TFT" screen), so the viewing angle is poor, so be very wary of where it will be located in the room - e.g. if its up on a high shelf and you're looking up at it the whole time, the picture will be crap (too dark). I view mine at a low angle, so its fine.

Other than that, its grand, its got loads of connectivity, 2 HDMI's, Scart, DVI, etc (well, at least the 22" version does).

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi,

I would like to buy a reasonably good 19" Flat screen LCD TV at the best price possible so I've been searching around and I read that Samsung are a good buy so I did a little more digging but can't figure out what the difference is between these 3 so-called LCD TV's... can anyone please explain and advise?

DID Electrical: 299.95
    SAMSUNG (LE19R86BXXEU)
    19" HD Ready Glossy Black LCD TV

Powercity: 199.95
    SAMSUNG
    SAMSUNG 19" HD READY LCD.
    - WIDE SCREEN.
    - FAST 5MS RESPONSE TIME.
    - PC MONITOR READY.
    - TILT BASE.
    - NOT WALL MOUNTABLE

komplett.ie: 199.00
    Samsung 19" LCD-TV
    Syncmaster 932MW, Widescreen, TV-tuner, DVI, 5ms

Thanks in advance for any help and advice given. Apologies if it's an obviously stupid question!

Guys,

Given that this is our forum - I thought I had better get a word in - how about this one http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SAMS-SM932MW - 19" Sammy again at just £149.95 (approx €175) and available ex-stock - who needs PC/DID ETC?

Regards,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

I've tried ordering from the UK but none of the outlets seem to want to ship to Ireland. It may be a bit late for that now.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Hi John,

I've tried ordering from the UK but none of the outlets seem to want to ship to Ireland. It may be a bit late for that now.

Thanks for your feedback.

ring the Belfast office fella, number is in John Mc's sig above. They'll look after you, and £20 delivery down south is pretty sweet aswell

Perfect, thanks Sticky MCGinty! I will do.. sorry ..where is that number that you mention above (I could be blind or simply stupid :o ) and how fast would they be able to deliver?

Could be a no-goes anyway... I'm based in Dublin as I rent but my credit cards are addressed to my home and their website states "We are only able to deliver to the credit card billing address."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

mlelsc wrote: »
    Why are you going with Samsung! Philips invent the technology and then the other companies purchase it off them! Philips are way ahead of the rest so I would personally go with them than any other brand name. You get what you pay for you know!

Personally unimpressed with Philips, been comparing a few this last while and overall impression I get from Philips is their blacks have a blueish tint to them and this Natural Motion thing they have makes things look very unnatural

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mlelsc wrote: »

I don't know where you are getting that from, Samsung is the largest manufacturer of LCD panels in the world and it develops the technology for its panels itself.

LG.Philips is the second largest manufacturer of LCD's in the world, yet it isn't Philips, it is a completely separate company based in South Korea, which Philips happen to own 32% of, but they are looking to sell that share.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. After many deliberation, I bought the one from Powercity!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.