Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice pls on campervan insurance in Germany

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello,
    We are new to this site so please excuse if I have posted incorrectly.

We are from Australia and travelling in Europe for next year, we bought a T25 VWcamper in Germany and had no address so had to put export plates and temp insurance on. It has now nearly expire and we are having trouble finding someone here to insure is. We can use a friends address in Mullheim, but either cannot find an agent who speaks English, and we have no German, or they don't insure campers! Please help, if anyone has gone through this themselves and know a way, in 2 weeks our insurance and rego run out!!
    Cheers,
    Brian and Julie (Caloundra, QLD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This is going to be difficult to impossible.

In order to get insurance the camper needs a German reg, in order to get that you need to be resident in Germany.

Your friend could insure the car in their name and let you drive it, but even that is not always straight forward, depending on the insurance company.

Your case is further complicated by the fact that you now have "exported" the vehicle and would have to re-import it again ...which carries another rake of paperwork with it.

I'm not up to date about insurance conditions in other EU countries...but there must be ones where it is simpler.

There are lots of Ausies and Kiwis touring Europe, surely there must be a wealth of experience out there on how to best do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I would say that you'll have to reregister it somewhere other then Germany. Do you have any friends/relatives in the UK whose address you could use. At worst you could get them to register it and then "sell" it to you.
    I remember reading elsewhere how Aussies/Kiwi's come across this problem all the time, I just can't remember what solution they came up with, (although there was one).
    Perhaps an enquiry to Australia house in London will throw up something. Their bound to have come across this many times before.
    Another idea would be to ask on any Australian motorhome websites. They're also bound to have members who have been through this.
    Don't register it in Ireland unless you want to pay VRT!

Advertisement