Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Disposal

Options
  • 17-12-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm curious as to what you do with cat litter (those of you who need to use it).
    I scoop out all the <ahem> lumps every day and put them in the bin but every week I'm then left with approximately 5kg of clay in the tray. We buy the stuff in Lidl and it's not too bad although the odours aren't great - it seriously needs to be scooped twice a day.
    Anyway, instead of throwing all that stuff away, I'm considering throwing it into the garden and using it to line a flower bed. There should be no issues with this, should there? The only problem is that is seems to get awfully "mushy" like cement after a while outside.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

I use organic litter (Worlds Best or Cats Best). The clumps are flushable and the remaining litter gets dumped in the compost bin after a week.
    Both varieties are more expensive than others but they work very well and don't make me wheeze like clay or smell like other wood/paper types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There are many debates on this topic and it might be worth Googling it. Some say Cat Litter should not be put in compost bins for health reasons. Something to do with the waste from carnivores versus herbivores. Others say you can spread the litter directly on the garden but again hygene is debated. Clay litter turns to mud very easily and could be a pain to deal with after a few wet weeks.
    Do your research and take your chance!

Advertisement