Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about ubuntu install

Options
  • 17-12-2008 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I downloaded the Ubuntu zip file, burned it to a cd and did a reboot.

I ran the CD in windows (because it didnt pick up on the reboot) and chose install alongside windows and i set 10GB for the partition.

Then i did a reboot and the Ubuntu desktop is working great.

When i go to install it by clicking the icon on the desktop it asks about the partition stuff.

I was told to choose the first option but it says use 100% of the HD. Does this mean 100% of the partition for Ubuntu or the whole HD ?

I am worried my windows partition will get deleted if i choose this option.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

That does sound like it will wipe your system. Look for an option that says use free space or go for the manual option. Have a read of these
    WindowsDualBoot Guide
    and Installation Help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

If you ran the installer in Windows, you shouldn't have to deal with partitioning -- just say how much hard disk space you will let it use.

You say you rebooted. If you were asked about partitioning (or see the install program on the desktop), you were running off the CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I had the ISO on a CD but it wouldnt auto run, so i mounted it onto a drive using Daemon.

3 options came up, install by doing a reboot, install alongside windows and read more...

i chose install alongside windows and chose 10GB for the space it can use. This space is definitely gone from the hard disk for the new partition.

Then i rebooted and it ran ok (so i guess it's running from the Daemon image)

I am just wondering with the first option in the partition screen, does it mean 100% of the partition or the whole disk ?

I cannot seem to drag the amount of space it wants to use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

The fact that you have the install to HardDisk option does make it sound like you are running from the CD. So to be sure and put us all at ease just remove the CD and reboot :)

When you say
    it wouldnt auto run
    Do you mean when you are in windows, you place the CD in the drive and it doesn't autorun? Or do you mean with the CD in the drive you reboot and your system boots into windows? (in which case it might be that your boot order places "disk" before the "cdrom").

Normally I place the CD in the drive, reboot start live disk and test the hardware is ok the select the install to disk option. It's been a while since I had windows on my machine :) but I think it offers to repartition and take some space from windows!? You could use your windows tool of choice to reduce your windows partition leaving some unallocated disk space first, then tell the install to use freespace.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Thanks for the tips guys.

What i did was install inside windows, so a ubuntu folder was created on c with a 10gb disk limit created (or something like that! )

When i reboot WITHOUT a CD i am given 2 options, to boot with Ubuntu or Windows. The performance is quite good this way although not as good as a proper install.

I think this option is best for me as i am quite inexperienced with Linux at the moment.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement