Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 Mobile Broadband Volume Statistic

• 17-12-2008 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

This is a relatively small problem in the grand scheme of things when compared with some of the problems that other people have been having in relation to broadband providers but small things like this with regards billing are beginning to irk me lately so I am posting this to put me at ease . If anyone had any similar trouble or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have an o2 broadband modem Huawei E220 and I have had this for quite a while (well over a year). At the moment if I go over 10.2Gb of data I get charged. I have to commend o2 in relation to their product as it makes it easy to keep track of usage and cost in comparison to other companies.

Here is a copy of an email that I sent to o2 customer support:

I have a query in relation to billing for my O2 broadband. I reset the 02 volume statistic function in the software with my broadband modem on the 27/11/08 and up until the current date point it tells me that I have received 1.6Gb and sent 270.1Mb to a final total volume of 1.8701Gb. However, when I go to my details from the 02 website from that time period and add them up they come to 2.06905Gb which is 198Mb more than what the 02 volume statistic calculator has shown. Why is there a discrepancy? This extra amount puts me over my monthly limit and I will be charged for this.

So in essence there was a discrepancy between the o2 software on my PC and the on-line billing. Has anyone ever had a similar experience to this? The amount is tiny and in all honesty only cost me 1 or 2 €. However, what I am worried about is that this has been the case for a while and that I would not have noticed it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You'd be better off asking the folks at O2 on this one who can actually fix you up if there's a problem

http://forums.o2online.ie is where they're at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

OK, thanks for the information. The only problem I had was that o2 customer support were unable to resolve this issue. I will try the forum you recommend though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They supplied the modem, their stats should match the modem stats . Otherwise their stats are wrong .

Keep this thread updated willya , there are a few iffy traffic counters in Ireland that cost a lot of money and cause grief for the unsuspecting end user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

also o2 are/were supposed to operate a fair usage policy on their broadband and people on the o2 forum have reported going over their limit by 1-2gb and still not being charged but this may have changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

The O2 Broadband app seems to reset the data used by itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

Mrmoe wrote: »

Here is a copy of an email that I sent to o2 customer support:

I have a query in relation to billing for my O2 broadband. I reset the 02 volume statistic function in the software with my broadband modem on the 27/11/08 and up until the current date point it tells me that I have received 1.6Gb and sent 270.1Mb to a final total volume of 1.8701Gb. However, when I go to my details from the 02 website from that time period and add them up they come to 2.06905Gb which is 198Mb more than what the 02 volume statistic calculator has shown. Why is there a discrepancy? This extra amount puts me over my monthly limit and I will be charged for this.

I think the modem automatically resets the volume stats on the 1st day of the month

The Modem software doesn't reset in mine anyway. I have to manually reset each month if I want or need it. Here is the reply that I got from o2 customer service. I don't think o2 are a bad bunch but it might be something that other people need to look out for.

Dear xxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email (Query Number xxxxxxx).

I have reviewed your account and you bill has now generated as your billing cycle date is the 2nd of each month. You used 10314.06mb last month and you were charged €1.23 for going over your 1GB allowance. I do not know why your online account was advised you had used double this. I cannot check this now as its passed your billing cycle date and that information is gone from your unbilled calls online. I would recommend that you monitor it this month and the minute you see a discrepancy contact customer care on 1909 and they can get our technology department to investigate. You can email the details to us but by contacting customer care you will get a faster response. Please accept my apologies for any inconvience caused in relation to this.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Kind Regards
    xxxxxxx
    O2 Customer Care

I have uploaded 4 screen capture images.
    The first two are from my on line account that show my broadband usage from the 27th of November until the 2nd of December. If you add up the data volume from the 27th of November until the 2nd of December you get over 2Gb of data. This is what o2 base their billing on.

The next two images show screen capture of the volume statistic calculator of my o2 modem software and the date that it was created on. As you can see they are less than the 2Gb of data shown on the online bill.

This next attached image shows that the software does not reset itself at either the beginning of the month or at the beginning of the billing cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mrmoe wrote: »
    This next attached image shows that the software does not reset itself at either the beginning of the month or at the beginning of the billing cycle.
    maybe you should write a letter to o2 asking for details of your data usage and ask that it be investigated properly instead of you being asked to watch out for next months usage?

although from your screenshots you seem to be downloading a lot. do you use youtube much or download games or movies?

• Advertisement

Here is the latest reply from o2 on this issue.

Dear XXXXXX

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care by email (Query Number XXXXX).

Unfortunately O2 does not support data counters on laptops / pcs etc in relation to usage. I confirm our billing information is checked and rechecked before issue to customer and this information is correct.

I hope this is of assistance to you

Kind Regards
    XXXXXX
    O2 Customer Care

foggy_lad wrote: »
    maybe you should write a letter to o2 asking for details of your data usage and ask that it be investigated properly instead of you being asked to watch out for next months usage?

although from your screenshots you seem to be downloading a lot. do you use youtube much or download games or movies?

I download a lot of data files for molecular dynamic simulation for college.1Gb files are nothing unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The data counter on the o2 modem is useless. At the moment it says I have used 20.7Gb :eek: but my netmeter says I have only used 8Gb. I would tend to believe it over the o2 modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭missyfirefly

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The data counter on the o2 modem is useless. At the moment it says I have used 20.7Gb :eek: but my netmeter says I have only used 8Gb. I would tend to believe it over the o2 modem.

Yup the counter is useless but mostly because it relies on the user to reset the counter exactly on the billing cycle day every month.

Best bet is to only use the counter on o2.ie as that "supposedly" reflects the exact billing information O2 have.:)

Advertisement