Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying/Bargaining with Brick and Mortar shops.

Options
  • 16-12-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm heading into town tommorow to buy my first DLSR, there's a few reasons I won't be able to get it online which is what I had originally planned.

Anyway I'm going to be getting the Sony Alpha A200 or the Nikon D40, not 100% sure which one yet. They'll both cost around 4-500 i'd imagine. Basically my question is have people had any joy getting a few euro off/extra stuff thrown in from the bricks and mortar stores due to the easy availability of cheaper cameras online.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

No harm in trying, but don't be surprised if you're told to feck off and get it online. I have had a few pre-recession almost arguments with sales staff in shops about pricing and their unwillingness to move on it.

What with the fall off in Christmas spending and all that depressing jazz this year, it may be likely that you'll get a few quid off. Check the price online and if the lowest they'll go is still well above the online price, I'd save your cash until you can get it online.

Now, ye can all slate me for 'taking money out of Irish shops' and 'being the cause of lost jobs' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, I've knocked several hundred euro of lenses when scouting around in Dublin. It still worked out cheaper at the time to buy them online though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'd say you could get a few gadgets thrown in and a bit off but really online is the way forward...screw the irish economy and that jazz

hey c'mere now.. "Bring back Fajitas and Elven" is all well and good... but wheres your "Bring back rymus" statement? ffs man...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Actually, out of boredom, I checked a price online there compared to one of the pricier establishments in town.

They had a lens marked 1699 in the shop, inc. tax. A bit of haggling and I got the price down to 1300 - Calumet was only 150 cheaper, and online was only 100 cheaper - not bad at all really, considering the shop... and considering it was in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

rymus wrote: »
    hey c'mere now.. "Bring back Fajitas and Elven" is all well and good... but wheres your "Bring back rymus" statement? ffs man...

Rymus... I cried for you too many a night when Al was bullying me...I've let you go out of my life now...don't reopen old wounds... for the childrens sake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Yeah sure i'll go in tommorow and see what i can get off. Any shop recommendations or are they all 6 of 1?

gunns or briminghams i'd say

/me pokes old wounds with a salty stick

open up there will ya.. tis freezin outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bought a second hand lens for a hundred and fifty euro - got twenty off the list price, a uv filter, a case, lens caps and a hood and a macro filter and a years guarantee all thrown in......
    Sure you might as well ask, the worst that can happen is that you can be told to feck off and take your business elsewhere. And in the current economic times theres plenty of shops that you will get a couple of euros off.....
    Also get the a200 its a bloody savage camera, way better than the d40 and just as good as the d60!

• Advertisement

/me pokes old wounds with a salty stick

open up there will ya.. tis freezin outside.

I can see why your not a mod anymore...

Ah now.. don't be like that. Ye's know's I love's ye's

Ah now.. don't be like that. Ye's know's I love's ye's

stop you making me blush.... :o

Advertisement