Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

WHAT NEXT!!??

Options
  • 16-12-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Ive had a bmer for the last 3 yrs..318is and currently 318ci.
    Like most of us i have to get smart and size down to something more economical.
    But having serious trouble finding anything that doesnt make me sigh!
    Would like as much flash for 7-8k and 1.4-1.6l max.
    Any suggestions on which car would help sooth the pain!:)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Alicano wrote: »
    smart
    roadster maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hes said a bit of flash, not raving about the vagina he would posess if he bought a smart

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks.
    huh? You want to downsize to be more economical?

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

huh?

+1 - you're driving a 4 pot BMW? Looks flash, but I don't think you could downsize much more unless you went for a Hyundai Coup or something pathetic like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

Re do your maths all your goin to save is a couple of hundred on tax and insurance.Economy will be much the same
    How much extra will it cost to run the CI for another three years over a 1.4 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

have the 318is, and its no worse on petrol than any of the cars ive had, 1.2 puntos and 1.3 mirages. actually, its better than the mirages on petrol. you wont save much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Thanks.

1.9 TDI Audi or VW do decent MPG. Tax is 580e a year though :(

Nico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

a natural progression would be an e30 318is,
    Seriously the money'l you loose changing wont justify any potentials savings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Whats so pathetic about a hyundai coupe.
    I drive one regularly and it is a very nice drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

i take it a '4 pot bmw' is not a description i should include in an advert!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Thanks.

if a 1.9litre bmw is too much maybe a nice focus or diesel golf is what you want:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I don't see the saving, either tbh.

My sis-in-law changed her 318ci to a 323ci and it only does 1mpg on average, less. Yet the difference in the cars is night & day.

If you want to save money on a running cost basis - you'll have to make a big leap and go super-economy. But most of those are new/new-ish........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

huh?

1.9l to 1.4l...less tax...alot less insurance..and a much bigger jump on the fuel gauge when i put 40euro in!...economical.:)

less tax maybe, less insurance are you sure? how much are you currently paying and whats it going to go down to?

have you calculated how much you will actually save in fuel...

Cyrus wrote: »
    if a 1.9litre bmw is too much maybe a nice focus or diesel golf is what you want:confused:

Yeah have found myself going back to them alot when im looking online.
    What do you make of the civic?(last model not current)
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

1.9l to 1.4l...less tax...alot less insurance..and a much bigger jump on the fuel gauge when i put 40euro in!...economical.:)
    Unless your insurance is sky-high, the savings will be outweighed by the cost of changing. A 1.9 is hardly a huge engine, even compared to a 1.4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Whats so pathetic about a hyundai coupe.
    I drive one regularly and it is a very nice drive.

It's a girl's and gay's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

testicle wrote: »
    It's a girl's and gay's car.
    Are you really that insecure?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Unless your insurance is sky-high, the savings will be outweighed by the cost of changing. A 1.9 is hardly a huge engine, even compared to a 1.4.

Yeah i know a 1.9 is not a monster by any means..what do u mean exactly by cost of changing?
    i saved a bit by importing from uk.should get more than what i paid.
    thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeah i know a 1.9 is not a monster by any means..what do u mean exactly by cost of changing?
    thanks.

have you seen used car prices :(

he means the cost of changing cars i,e the loss you will take on the 318

how much is your ins by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

thanks.

You could have built the beemer from scratch using pipe cleaners and toilet roll and you wouldn't get more than what you paid.
    Get this bit into the noggin first - You will loose money on the beemer or it won't sell. Once that's in, then reasses the cost to change.

have you seen used car prices :(

he means the cost of changing cars i,e the loss you will take on the 318

Hmmm.i'll take that onboard.thanks for those links..much appreciate the opinions on here.
    insurance isnt massive..about 600ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You wont ever be happy with a 1.4 engine. You will end up trashing the engine which will make it heavy on petrol.
    Maybe consider a diesel.
    What age is the BMW?

Hmmm.i'll take that onboard.thanks for those links..much appreciate the opinions on here.
    insurance isnt massive..about 600ish?

still sounds highish depending on your circumstances of course, maybe at renewal time shop around, the quotes i was getting varied from 2500 to the 880 that i am paying (on an m3 bmw)

Biro wrote: »
    You could have built the beemer from scratch using pipe cleaners and toilet roll and you wouldn't get more than what you paid.
    Get this bit into the noggin first - You will loose money on the beemer or it won't sell. Once that's in, then reasses the cost to change.

Hehe..I'll let you know how i get on.:)

mickdw wrote: »
    You wont ever be happy with a 1.4 engine. You will end up trashing the engine which will make it heavy on petrol.
    Maybe consider a diesel.
    What age is the BMW?

thanks man.never done the diesel thing before.might be worth a look.
    Car is 01...i have a very ordinary job!:)

still sounds highish depending on your circumstances of course, maybe at renewal time shop around, the quotes i was getting varied from 2500 to the 880 that i am paying (on an m3 bmw)

Wow thats dam good..your not 70 are ye!?:)
    M3 is a beaut...someday gadget..

• Advertisement

Lol no just gone 28

Advertisement