Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microchipping

Options
  • 16-12-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before and feel free to lock it once it has been answered, or if I get pointed in the right direction. I was wondering how much it costs, roughly, to microchip a dog. I was just reading the missing pets thread and the last post was the image of my dog and the thought of her going missing broke my heart in two. She's 8 now, will she still be ok to be microchipped? I'd imagine there's no age limit on it.

Edit: Can it be done in most vets as well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Heya OP, you are definitely making the right choice, its never too late to chip your dog. It can be done from 2 days old to... whenever! Its inserted using a fairly wide bore spring-loaded needle, and is placed under the skin, usually at the neck / shoulder area. It may elicit a sting/yelp, but its over in a second, most dogs don't even react!
    In my practice it costs 45 euro, I'd imagine its fairly standard in most places anyway, and I'm sure that almost every vet in the country can do it now. That price includes lifetime registration to the international databases, most likely FIDO, the most popular Irish owned one. This will ensure that even if your dog is stolen and ends up in Spain, he is still traceable.
    Just ensure that the chip is actually registered, you will be given a registration pack which explains how to do it online, and you can also change your details (phone numbers, addresses etc) if necessary.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Wow! That cheap?! I was expecting it to cost €200+. Will definitely get that done ASAP so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

hey if you are in Dublin or anyone else interested then Dogs Aid clinic in Ballymun will chip your dog for 10 - 15 euro.
    Also the DSPCA run mobile clinics and do it for 5 euro every nowand again.
    make sure you register your dog with FIDO or Animark tho when you get hte dog chipped as we see lots of chipped dogs with no details registered.
    www.dogsaid.ie
    www.dspca.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Just another question on this topic, when we got our lil fella he was already microchipped, we filled out the registration form and sent it off to a crowd (address is not coming to me) but i know we had to post it off. Is this right??? Should i still register with Fido and Animark???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Just to let you know, Honey is nice and microchipped now! It only cost €36 too, although they quoted me at €11. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

http://fido.ie/faq.html

for anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭TKD SC

http://ikc-animark.ie/

You could also check the above link. It gives lists of Vet practises too, although at this stage every vet practise should do it.

re: Tired: do you have any details of who your pet was microchipped with? Usually the beginning of the code will give an idea of whether it was Ani-mark, FIDO etc...If no luck and you want to find out, get him scanned at a vet and then you will be able to find out who he is registered with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

Hi TKD, havent checked it yet, have all his details at home so will check the code, i know when we first got him we brought him to the vets and he told us what we had to do which we did, but it was just a form we sent off (think it was blackrock) and then when we changed vets, the new vet scanned him and said all was fine. Just wondering if I need to register him online aswell but I suppose i wont know this until i get home and check his Microchip details. Thanks though!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭boardsusername

The veterinary clinic I go to is really good but their quote of 80 euro to micro chip our new rescue dog was a little steep so I phoned around.
    The new vet clinic up in the DSPCA do it for 25 euro. They were great. I highly recommend them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

This is two and a half years old.

Locking

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement