Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple device Syncing - GooSync??

Options
  • 16-12-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

OK- I hope this makes sense.

Just got a Unbuntu Netbook for traveling etc and I want to sync contacts etc. Here is where the fun starts. My main business machine is an MS XP using Outlook which syncs with my SE p990i so that all contacts, calender and stuff is up to date. I also sync a private mobile - Nokia E51 which is used on holidays and travel when away - main mobile diverts to office but certain people can contact me directly if required. It syncs with Outlook also.

Now here is the problem - trying to get these phone to sync with Ubuntu seems like a lot of fun but time consuming.

So my question is - has anyone used GooSync to Sync with Evolution in Ubuntu? I figure it could be the handiest option. Main machine updates GooSync so everything is online and then Evolution pulls everything back in. Reverse the process when I get back and everthing is nice and organised.

Or am I dreaming??

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've suggested ScheduleWorld before - going to reiterate it, as it's based on the rather superb Funambol platform, and all-round rocks. I tried a number of approaches to multi-platform synchronisation before, and SW is the one that Just Works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

Just going through that site now as I remembered it from the previous thread.

Looks like GooSync might not be the best app, it uses a google account but google calender / gmail does not appear to be able to sync the contacts. You can import them but thats a real pain.

Must say that while there is a learning curve with this stuff information seems to be much more forthcoming and that makes me want to try more stuff. :D

BTW - here is another one that I found in my searches O-Sync - http://www.o-sync.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

@oscarBravo

Set up schedule world and it worked, everything went up form Outlook and pulled down into Evolution, allmost 1000 contacts and calender accross with no problems at all even for a Noob like me. Will add a new appointment and contact and see how that works - fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice

imnotworthy.gif

Advertisement