Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borders & Frames. Your thought process?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All. Getting back into photography these days and was wondering how people decided what borders or frames to use, if any. Are there a set of rules people should generally work off? Landscapes = Small border, macro shots = Large or the reverse of both? Or not to use a border!

If some people could take the time out to let me know there thinking on borders etc, with possible examples I would be grateful for the education.

If I feel brave later I might throw up one or two of my pitifully shots and see what border, if any, people would suggest/recommend. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My idea about borders is: Don't use them. I just think they're crap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i agree with challengemaster unless there is heavy whites, in general i think they look a bit naff, especially when the have titles and sigs thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

can't stand them either, ruins perfectly good shots, although on printed paper, a white border isn't completely out of place at times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I'm a bit unsure on it. I tend to get a gorgeous frame and go off it very quickly. I have used thick black with name at bottom right of border, looks ok but after a while it gets old. I also really favour a fade out, almost vignette for bright shots and darker shots a slight, very slight black vignette on the edge.

Now that the last mentioned is starting to irritate me I have decided to once and for all settle with one thing, from now on I am using a 3pt black or white border and the same colour text at the bottom right. These are for online sites only!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

The frame must complete or even enhance the picture. I am in favor of frames, when used creatively.

I find signatures and watermarking more irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If by border you mean a mount, I would throw out every single piece of advice there and mark them as near essential if you are selling prints. They frame images, can give a lot more depth to an image, and coupled with the right frame, make a good photograph look fantastic. Antique white is my prefered mount, though black and a mustardy cream have worked to great effect too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Nope, they're talking about Making a large canvas in PS, and pasting the image in.. that type of border.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah.

People don't think about printing enough these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Hoser

im in favour of them

i have around 40 shots printed and put around my wall..some of them have black borders or white ones and i must say the boarder completes them.

Advertisement