Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please dont get ill in ireland

Options
  • 16-12-2008 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

had to bring my mum to tallaght hospital yesterday .on her gps advise .now this lady is an oap in her seventys .
    arrived at 12.45pm and should have known something was amiss when a guy who was obviously in pain asked me for directions to the beacon clinic ,while i was parking the car .
    checked in at 12.50pm and was left waiting and waiting .seen a triage nurse who told my mum that her condition was needing urgent attention and as soon as a cubicle became free she was in .
    5pm and i went to see what the hold up was .i was told that they had [now i dont know the exact amount ]either 113 or 130 patients in the a+e and they had no room for any more .
    she got called into the a+e at 12.15am this morning .i went in with her ,and the site that greeted me was nothing short of one of those disaster movies every available space had a trolly with a patient on it .down every corridor ,people on chairs ,nurses working from only can be discribed as a food trolly and a shelf .
    eventully seen a doctor at 2am behind a screen while two guards had a prisoner in handcuffs right beside her .
    what dignity does that give an oap
    3.30am a second doctor decides to retain her
    and i see from the papers today that theres a little plan to curtail even more a+e services [WHAT A F##KIN JOKE THE HSE IS ]
    shes still up in tallaght this morning on a trolly outside a toilet and the situtation looks even worse today
    so good people of ireland
    dont get ill
    because the whole a+e experience will probably make you worse
    rant rant rant :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sorry to hear that!

Don't think I've ever been in A&E actually :confused: Certainly not since I was a kid

I don't fancy it

Hope yer mam gets better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tallaght A & E is a complete ****hole. If you can, avoid going to Tallaght and go to Naas instead.

The primary reason is because every scumbag and criminal in 5 mile radius uses Tallaght as their local GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I am sorry for your troubles. Lets hope she is fit and out of that place soon.

I am glad I have private medical Insurance and can be seen in the A&E of a private hospital hearing stories like this.

Things are only going to get worse. Nobody is safe in the recession. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My wife works in the hospital, so i always get to skip the queue whenever I need it.

Sorry to hear about your mam though

seamus wrote: »

The primary reason is because every scumbag and criminal in 5 mile radius uses Tallaght as their local GP.

Im afraid this is the curse of the unregulated and non means tested medical card to anybody in social housing which Im afraid Tallaght has a lot of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

The sad fact is that Ireland is and will continue to be a developing country... Its not a place i would want to grow old in...

My dad had been in and out of hospitals in Ireland for years, if it wasnt for my sister being a nurse and constantly pointing out the doctors and other nurses incompetence he would be dead 5 times over by now...

Vote FF if you want more of this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tallaght A & E is a complete ****hole. If you can, avoid going to Tallaght and go to Naas instead.

I thought the opposite, I think tallaght A&E is better than most. Kilkenny is a dump (Basing that on one experience, maybe I am being harsh), I didn't like naas either, reminded me of death.

Actually are there any good hospitals in Ireland? Apart from the maternity hospital in Cork, the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I thought the opposite, I think tallaght A&E is better than most. Kilkenny is a dump (Basing that on one experience, maybe I am being harsh), I didn't like naas either, reminded me of death.

Actually are there any good hospitals in Ireland? Apart from the maternity hospital in Cork, the new one.
    I don't think so. I was discharged from Tullamore General with a broken leg on crutches but what they couldnt tell me, even after 7 x-rays that my arm was also broken. So I was discharged on crutched with an untreated broken arm.

And thats only the start of the things I could say about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Berty wrote: »
    I am glad I have private medical Insurance and can be seen in the A&E of a private hospital hearing stories like this.(
    If you think that having private medical insurance will prevent you from ever going through the horrors of the public health system then think again my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Q2002 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I was discharged from Tullamore General with a broken leg on crutches but what they couldnt tell me, even after 7 x-rays that my arm was also broken. So I was discharged on crutched with an untreated broken arm.

And thats only the start of the things I could say about them.

Yea, true... I have had some crappy experiences with them. I think I was a bit hard on kilkenny hospital, it's actually pretty good.

I guess I have been to tallaght more and most of my family use tallaght, so my views have been distorted somewhat? I was discharged once from tallaght with a dislocated knee cap, torn ligiments and torn cartilage. I got one crutch, lucky I had my friend with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

now im not getting at you xavier but i dont think you could get much worse than the conditions in tallaght atm. from the staff trying to do any kind of work .to the dignity of the ill people
    and btw this is,nt my first experience with the place ive been back and forth for a few years now .but this time the situtation really got to me

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

I am sorry for your troubles. Lets hope she is fit and out of that place soon.

I am glad I have private medical Insurance and can be seen in the A&E of a private hospital hearing stories like this.

Things are only going to get worse. Nobody is safe in the recession. :(

How many private hospitals have an A&E? Where are they located?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Health insurance is useful after the fact or if something can be seen from a good while away.

In an emergency, you will be brought to the nearest hospital and you will stay there until you you're discharged, health insurance or not.

macshadow wrote: »

I dont know about where they are ALL located because I only concern myself with the ones near me.

There is the Galway Clinic and there is one being built on the Dock Road in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

To make it worse what do they announce today! They are doing a review of a&e to downscale!! what a joke of a healthservice and they actually want to reduce certain services in the A&E. Expect 12 day waiting periods instead of 12 hours if they are let do what they want with the health service!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

macshadow wrote: »
    afaik all the swiftcare ,beacon ,etc you can go and pay 105e and be seen to in about 1 hour .
    grand if you need a couple of stiches or a sprain ,but if you need any other medical attention atall they will refere you to an a+e department in the public hospitals .and then the fun begins :mad:

Health insurance is useful after the fact or if something can be seen from a good while away.

In an emergency, you will be brought to the nearest hospital and you will stay there until you you're discharged, health insurance or not.

Of course but as an emergency patient you are seen immediately if you come as an emergency. I would either be put in a private room OR if unavailable transferred to a private hospital.

If I was told by my doctor I needed further tests to be done in a hospital I would drive to either Cork or Galway. I would not go to a public hospital on account of the waiting time.

Absolutely nothing to do with the quality of care I must point out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I must stop complaining about the high price of my heath insurance, at least I get looked after and don't have to pay a doctor every time I see them! It's a sad state of affairs that the system is so bad after the economic boom the government had over the last decade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Sorry, but you are completly misguided, yes its true that you can go to private A+E's, theres one in the galway clinic, but its only open from 10-7, after that its off to the public hospital. Plus if there is sometime seriously wrong with you they will said you to a public hospital, fact.
    you will not be transfered to another private hospital!

Private health is only useful after the fact.

I would either be put in a private room OR if unavailable transferred to a private hospital.

your havin a laugh if you believe this!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

Why the hell are we as a people putting up with this crap? Why can't we do what the French (!) would do and protest about the state of our 'health' service until something is done about it?

To paraphase some famous bloke, a nation is judged by how it treats its youth, elderly and sick.

The government is able to bail out the banks with billions but it can't find a few million to put into the hospitals? What the hell is going on?

What a disgusting government we have.

That Harney one should be ashamed.

Thoughts, opinions etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

had to bring my mum to tallaght hospital yesterday .on her gps advise .now this lady is an oap in her seventys .
    arrived at 12.45pm and should have known something was amiss when a guy who was obviously in pain asked me for directions to the beacon clinic ,while i was parking the car .

At least her gps didn't send her the wrong way down a one way street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

P.S Boards is acting up....i didnt include that <br> stuff?!

Why the hell are we as a people putting up with this crap? Why can't we do what the French (!) would do and protest about the state of our 'health' service until something is done about it?

To paraphase some famous bloke, a nation is judged by how it treats its youth, elderly and sick.

The government is able to bail out the banks with billions but it can't find a few million to put into the hospitals? What the hell is going on?

What a disgusting government we have.

That Harney one should be ashamed.

Thoughts, opinions etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Sorry to hear about that OP. 
    I've only had to use Tallaght a/e once (bringing a friend down) 
    and the wait was OK. Guess we were just lucky. 

skelliser wrote: »

your havin a laugh if you believe this!!

Not everything that happens to other people is what happens to everybody. I have private health Insurance and Im Entitled to a private room in a private hospital, failing that a private room in a private hospital.

Yes, sometimes a private room in a public hospital is not available and when it is not WE(me and GF) get moved to a private hospital at the health insurance companies expense(charged to our claim). We pay for these benefits so we ENFORCE them. I have had many arguments with matrons(GF has incurable disease so constantly in and out of hospital) about moving to a private hospital. They are always arguing that it is never done. Its BS because it does happen and it is an entitlement. I pay for private health care and will not accept sharing a room. If I was willing to share a room I would pay less or nothing at all.

Not everybody is hard done by in life. If you want better health care pay for it or go looking for a medical card.

The emergency room in Galway is closed to non emergency cases(oxymoron I know) but you can be transferred to this hospital 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Not everybody is hard done by in life. If you want better health care pay for it or go looking for a medical card.
    I don't know if you've looked around you lately or not, but most if us have private health insurance.

As several posters have pointed out, it really is a fat lot of good to you in this country. Those private A&E clinics only provide certain types of first level triage and even then under 'office' hours.

I tried to get my late Mum her own room in Beaumont when she had terminal cancer a year ago without success. I couldn't even get her her own room in the hospice and she had Bupa at the time.

You really need to wake up to the fact that private health insurance in this country isn't the magic passport that you seem to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

steo87 wrote: »
    I know that you are being emotive but I'd just like to point out that if the banks started collapsing, or keep up the restrictive lending policies they have at the moment, then it could cost us a multiple of what we offered them.

DublinWriter there are different levels of health insurance.
    And your smiley is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I went there a few months ago after splitting my finger open.

I had gone to my local surgery (my GP had just died) and the locum wasn't able to stitch my finger.
    He referred me to Tallaght and I was out of there in about 2 hours with the adult version of a lollipop.

I found the staff to be great.
    They x-rayed my finger to see if there was any damage beyond superficial.
    They spoke nicely to the drunk on the trolley (they seemed to know him and he seemed to be a regular visitor).
    The bandage they used on my finger before I got the stitches wasn't good enough and I was bleeding all over the place. The blood was mopped up within minutes. They also put on a fresh bandage.

I'm quite squeamish when it comes to my own blood and they were really nice as I went whiter than I normally am and I felt very little pain as they stitched my finger.

A very nice experience all around.

The thing is though, I didn't just walk in off the street.
    I went to my GP first and he gave me a letter.

There were plenty of people who were there before me, but were not seen to by the time I was leaving.

Edit: I don't have medical insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Of course but as an emergency patient you are seen immediately if you come as an emergency.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Define "emergency". If you're one of those that think by calling an ambulance you're automatically put on the priority list or will be seen to straight away when you get to A&E you are in for a surprise.
    I would either be put in a private room OR if unavailable transferred to a private hospital.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

A&E activity for today. Tallaght is one of two hospitals in the country with one or more patients waiting >24 hours for admission.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/ed/16th_December_08_Emergency_Dept_Activity.PDF

It was worse yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Im afraid this is the curse of the unregulated and non means tested medical card to anybody in social housing

Have you ever tried to get a medical card?! Your statement is completely wrong.
    Of course but as an emergency patient you are seen immediately if you come as an emergency. I would either be put in a private room OR if unavailable transferred to a private hospital.

Also, completely untrue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement