Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed.

Options
  • 16-12-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Great spot here and I've just discovered it.

I've a degree in corp law (hons), an LLB and am qualified as a tax consultant (AITI) and interviewing around for solicitor apprenticeships. (Have the FE1's too)

I've been working in offices for the last three/four years and you know what, I just don't think it's for me. For all the money in the world I'd rather be off teaching. I'd love to teach English and History, but my degree pushes me towards accountancy, economics and business. Am I mad to be thinking of teaching with all these cuts in educations. Perhaps I just have an overly romantic notion and might need a hard slap of reality.

Can anyone give me a bit of advice? I'm from Kerry originally and may be able to get hours in my old secondary school as I got on quite well there but at the same time, should I be prepared to face a huge uphill battle to firstly qualify and then find anywhere to work? Having a read of the threads here it seems people love the job but it seems to be impossible to find a permanent post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Three days, no replies.

Helpful bunch. Very educational. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's already a thread on whether going into teaching these days is a good idea or not.

English & History teachers are ten a penny I'm afraid and if they're not in your degree, that's a long road you're thinking of going down. Though you may think you have 'teachable' subjects in your degree, there's no guarantee that the Teaching Council will agree with you. If they don't recognise your degree, you're looking at doing another primary degree and then the HDip.

The other thread will probably be more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Yes,youre mad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

You'll have to go back and do a degree in History and English. Then a HDip and then realise that there are no jobs. Up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

You really need to think long and hard about this. It looks like you will have to go back and do a 3/4 year degree and then the PGDE. A very long and expensive process. Jobs are very hard to come by and at the end of it all it is really hard demanding work. It never leaves you- I bring home work every night and weekend. English and History graduates are everywhere- your waitress in the restaurant, shop assistant etc. Not too many teaching though. My degree is in History and I dont even teach it!! I am lucky enough be have recently been made permanent- but crappy part time permanent so I have had to waitress on my days off to make ends meet!! This after 7 years teaching.

I also know of people who have decided in the middle of their dip that they are no way fit to be a teacher- all that time and money wasted!

Best of luck in what you decide to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've a degree in corp law (hons), an LLB and am qualified as a tax consultant (AITI) and interviewing around for solicitor apprenticeships. (Have the FE1's too)
    1 months work in an office would sound the same in a teaching interview, all the above means jack s**te to teaching unless its solicitors you arfe teaching, sorry to be blunt but its like people with phDs thinking it will secure a job, not a hope.
    I've been working in offices for the last three/four years and you know what, I just don't think it's for me. For all the money in the world I'd rather be off teaching. I'd love to teach English and History, but my degree pushes me towards accountancy, economics and business. Am I mad to be thinking of teaching with all these cuts in educations. Perhaps I just have an overly romantic notion and might need a hard slap of reality.

Uphill would be an understatement, being honest again but personally unless you really really want to, then forget it. Try a few hours and see if teenagers not giving a rats ass about English or History is really appealing to you. I love it and kids are grreat but you need to see if its for you before you make the sacrifice. And look at the thread on teaching, says it all.
    Be prepared to move abroad if you really want a teaching job.
    Maybe lecturing with your level of qualification?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Sir Humphrey

TheDriver wrote: »
    Maybe lecturing with your level of qualification?

The guy has a primary degree in Law (which is not a requirement even to be a solicitor) and a taxation qualification which isn't even at post-graduate level. Some distance from lecturing too I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

OP, if you're really interested in any sort of teaching, you may find that it's easier to get into primary school teaching. The type of primary degree isn't as important.

Advertisement