Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reptile

Options
  • 16-12-2008 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

i was wondering could anyone give me advice. i recently got a tank that is roughly 5 foot by 2 by 2 in dimension. i have decided to put either reptiles or snakes in it. what i would like to do is to segregate the tank into maybe 3 or 4 sections and have a different animal in each. maybe a lizard, snake and frog. or something. i don't really want to put in one creature would rather have it varied.

does anyone have advice on if this is possible and could they recommend any type of species.

thanks for your help with this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

norris wrote: »
    i was wondering could anyone give me advice. i recently got a tank that is roughly 5 foot by 2 by 2 in dimension. i have decided to put either reptiles or snakes in it. what i would like to do is to segregate the tank into maybe 3 or 4 sections and have a different animal in each. maybe a lizard, snake and frog. or something. i don't really want to put in one creature would rather have it varied.

does anyone have advice on if this is possible and could they recommend any type of species.

thanks for your help with this
    Have you ever kept reptiles before? If not then you'd be mad to buy 3 or 4 at once, its not like looking after a dog, a lot of care has to go into them, I had a Veiled Chameleon and to look after just that wasn't very easy.

And its a pretty small tank to have 3 different pets in, considering I had a 4 foot x 3 foot x 2 foot tank for just the Chameleon. But you could probably put a Crested Gecko or Leopard Gecko in one section and some sort of small Snake in another. Wouldn't recommend making the housing much smaller than that.

If its a lie down tank, it'd be the perfect size for a Bearded Dragon, if its a stand up one, maybe a Water Dragon or two, A Frilled Dragon or some sort of Chameleon. If it's your first reptile, I'd recommend the Bearded Dragon, you would probably be able to put two in that tank, they're great fun and much easier to look after than some of the other big lizards I mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 norris

thanks for that. i do keep fish but got a long lay down tank and was going to put reptiles into it. does any body know any good place to get exoctic pets in southern ireland in the munster region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Definitely don't divide the tank, most reptiles have excellant smell and will know the other animals are there and it will annoy them as most reptiles are solitary creatures. Some don't even like being in the same room as each other. I've two pythons in a similar size setup and it's a pain having to seperate them for feeding and moving them around the place for cleaning the tank up, hoping to get another tank for one of them in the new year.

It's a good size tank for an adult snake of most types, prob a bit big for a baby corn or so. There's plenty of reading freely available on the internet but do your research especially on feeding - not everyone wants live locusts and crickets in their house or dead mice in the freezer.

Can't help you on the Munster region pet shops though unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

not a good idea, snakes (even the small ones) will need about 4-5 foot vivarium. Some snakes need damp conditions, some lizards need dry conditions to mix the two would be impossable to control not to mention the different heating requirements ... just get one species you can have fun with decorating their enviorment with the stuff they need. Plus some of the exotic's you mentioned above are natural enemies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I've had a kingsnake for 7 years in a 3 ft viv and he's great. Larger tanks can stress small snakes, they like small areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

Try a water dragon? I had one awhile back and it was, without a doubt, the nicest reptile I've ever had, and I've had a few over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭SCI

It's a fish tank put fish in it,reptiles are housed in vivariums.

Advertisement