Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Volvo S60 re-sized to 3-series/A4 size

Options
  • 16-12-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/236533/

Blimey! Volvo's sizes have always been out-of-kilter - too much of a gap between S40 & S60. What took them so long?

One of these might just be on my radar next time I change car... Looks very, very promising if they get the dynamics right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Wow!

I really hope it will be as good as it looks.

I've always liked Volvos, and I really hope the new S60 will go well for them.

One of the more interesting things about the new S60 is that it will be one of the very first cars to feature the new 1.6 direct injection turbo 4 pot that Ford are busy developing.

Apparently it is capable of 180 bhp.

I hope though that there will be a good selection of 5 cylinder engines, and that the new twin turbo D5 that has just gone into the S80 will make it into this car as well.

At least next year they will have the new DRIVe models coming for the C30, S40 and V50 which will give them a few VRT band A cars.

And a 2.2D FWD XC60 is on the cards as well, with the 173 bhp engine found in the 2.2 mondeo TDCi.

Volvo badly need a 6 pot diesel for top end versions of the S60, V70, S80 and XC90, of around 3.0 litres in size.

A good place to start is to stick on an extra cylinder to the D5 engine, assuming the D5 is a modular design of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does it use the MkIII Mondeo floorplan?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Amazing. I love what they've done with the doors to make it look like a coupe. Let's all hope they'll stick to the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

unkel wrote: »
    Amazing. I love what they've done with the doors to make it look like a coupe. Let's all hope they'll stick to the concept.

I don't think there's much chance of that but we should at least get a handsome, well-priced, handily-sized saloon with a nice profile (which ISN'T a BMW or Audi - v important that:D...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

And a 2.2D FWD XC60 is on the cards as well, with the 173 bhp engine found in the 2.2 mondeo TDCi.

Correct. But that isn't the engine they're using. The D5 engine is going to be upgraded for sometime in the new year and used in this model in detuned form.
    Volvo badly need a 6 pot diesel for top end versions of the S60, V70, S80 and XC90, of around 3.0 litres in size.

A good place to start is to stick on an extra cylinder to the D5 engine, assuming the D5 is a modular design of course.

A six cylinder version of the D5 engine is on the cards and under development as we speak.

• Advertisement

WOW - I wonder would Santa bring me one of them?

I have an S60 at the minute, great car....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I have an S60 at the minute, great car....

Totally agree. In the past I've had various S60s - a 2.0 auto, D5 and an amazing T5. Any new model has a lot to live up to, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

We have to remember, this was the Insignia concept.
    opel_insignia_concept_car-_2003.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Correct. But that isn't the engine they're using. The D5 engine is going to be upgraded for sometime in the new year and used in this model in detuned form.

They're giving the D5 twin turbo treatment for the S80, which will lift the power to 205 bhp. I'm assuming this will make it into the XC90, V/XC70, XC60 and new S60 in due course.

I could be wrong but I could have sworn that Volvo were using the Ford/PSA 2.2 twin turbo HDi/TDCi engine for the FWD XC60 in order to get the CO2 down to 169 g/km.

Seems a bit odd considering they haven't used it before and that the AWD has the 163 bhp 2.4D as the entry oil burner.

205 bhp is quite simply not enough for a semi-premium brand like Volvo to have as the top line diesel, I mean that's the sort of power that the second from the bottom diesel in the 5 series has more or less - at this stage it really needs to be around the 250 mark, though with a twin turbo 6 pot on the way from Merc and Audi 280-290 bhp is what is really needed, and that's where a D6 will fill a huge hole in the Volvo product range.

Which is why I'm so delighted to hear that Volvo finally have a 6 pot diesel on the cards.

VolvoMan, you seem like the one to ask - what's the story with 5 pot petrol Volvos?

Are these starting to become an endangered species, what with the new 4 pot 1.6 turbo on the way, and the fact that the new S60 will have a host of 4 cylinder engines in order to compete with the 3 series, A4 etc and the fact that the entry S80 and V70 have only 4 rather than 5 cylinders these days?

Is that 2521cc turbo going to get an update anytime soon?

When are a company claiming to be environmentally responsible ever going to get around to re-introducing direct injection petrol engines?

I can understand the antipathy after the far from successful outcome with the Mitsubishi GDI engine which did a bit of damage to the company's reputation for solid reliable cars but direct injection petrols actually work these days - so what's the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    The linked page says that the doors will not make the production model which is a real shame.

Ah I must have read over that. That is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

This should mean that the present now old model will take a price drop. Was looking to get a used volvo diesel for herself. The s60 is a fine car but 2.4 makes tax etc higher. However they are a fine car and if I saw one with top spec and right price I might be tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

E92 wrote: »
    VolvoMan, you seem like the one to ask - what's the story with 5 pot petrol Volvos?

Are these starting to become an endangered species, what with the new 4 pot 1.6 turbo on the way, and the fact that the new S60 will have a host of 4 cylinder engines in order to compete with the 3 series, A4 etc and the fact that the entry S80 and V70 have only 4 rather than 5 cylinders these days?

Is that 2521cc turbo going to get an update anytime soon?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it looks like the Volvo 5 cylinder is gradually being phased out. The 1.6 Turbo looks like it's replacing the 2.0 LPT with an identical power output (180 bhp) and the only remaining 5 cylinders are the 2.5T and the D5 in their various states of tune. The latter is getting upgraded for certain but I am not so sure about the former. The 3.0 litre T6 and 3.2 litre I6 engines are both development of the 2.5 Turbo afaik, so they still must be using it as a basis for new engines.

The abandonment of 5 cylinder engines is probably a move for greater efficiency that is more easily achieved with your average 4 cylinder. It is a mighty shame though, as it is an engine configuration that Volvo have become synonymous with in recent years.

Oh and Limerick-man, I don't think that's the Insignia concept you have posted there.

Advertisement