Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless or wired flash?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

I'm considering playing around with off camera flash, wireless seems like a really cool way to go about it, but the variety and user opinions about doing it on the cheap seems unreliable and seems expensive looking at any proper gear (I haven't searched that much though, any recommendations?).

The alternative is a cheapo shoe cord, but with all photo things, I don't want to buy cheap first, then buy expensive. Any advise please?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

a wireless light sensor that operates off pop up is cheap and cheerful, add a cheap flash circa 25 euro and your flying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Oh wireless wireless wireless!!!

I've spent enough time tripping around on f'ing wires in studio's.

Check out Radio Poppers and the Cactus triggers... not 100% reliable, but cheap as chips. You can put together some DIY fixes for more reliablility too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

a wireless light sensor that operates off pop up is cheap and cheerful, add a cheap flash circa 25 euro and your flying

I don't really understand what you mean, do you mean buying an extra flash that will fire when it detects the popup flash is fired?
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    Oh wireless wireless wireless!!!

I've spent enough time tripping around on f'ing wires in studio's.

Check out Radio Poppers and the Cactus triggers... not 100% reliable, but cheap as chips. You can put together some DIY fixes for more reliablility too.

I've heard about those, but haven't done enough research. I have a 430EX, I guess they'd work with any flash? This option sounds best, is it reliable to buy them from ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, as reliable as anywhere else afaik!

Quite a few members here using them. Don't bother with the cells tbh - You've gotta have all your flashes within line of sight, the other ones work of radio frequencies which means you can play around a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Quite a few members here using them. Don't bother with the cells tbh - You've gotta have all your flashes within line of sight, the other ones work of radio frequencies which means you can play around a bit more.

Cool, thanks a million. Off to research more and then ebay :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

thats true... they're fun when you set up lights 'around them', for a specific set up needed they could hinder you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I had an optical trigger and found it more frustrating than useful.

Switched to elinchrom skyport universals, so so so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

question : for wired to a strobe, do i need a male to male connector ? im guessing i dont need a hot show adapter right ? the tripod head/mount has slot to hold the flash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Placebo wrote: »
    question : for wired to a strobe, do i need a male to male connector ? im guessing i dont need a hot show adapter right ? the tripod head/mount has slot to hold the flash

It depends on your flash/camera

If your flash and camera have a pc port then us can use a pc/pc wire, otherwise you are looking at some combination of female hotshoe/pc, male hotshoe/pc or female/male hotshoe

Your tripod head might have a slot to hold the flash, but that doesn't mean you can't stick a hotshoe adapter on top of it, like I said it's all to do with your flash and camera.

hot shoe.*
    Its a canon 40D and a nikon sb24 and sb25, i think i just need a pc/pc

thanks btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have the optical one and it is grand for close setups. Cactus is good up to 15 meters, further could be some misfiring.

Where about did you get cactus ? shipping from official site is quite pricey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You can get something similar from Calumet in Belfast.

Advertisement