Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog(s) Nightmare

Options
  • 16-12-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Right....a quick bit of history and then some advice please...

We live beside a woman who now owns 5 dogs and 3/4 cats. When we first moved into the house , the lady next door only had 1 dog.

The back garden where she keeps the dogs is not very big - the house is a pretty new development (around 2000) so you know how much space builders give up for back yards !

The dogs she has are mostly mongrels , two are like spaniels , a jack russelly type , some sort of collie cross (main problem) , some real ugly brown dog with yellow eyes & strays and now its reached the end of the line.

1. A dog is always on top of the kennels , looking over our fence , into our garden , and kitchen. If we're in the kitchen the dog will bark at us - and when I go out in the back garden , the dog will bark like mad and chase me up and down the garden - with load growls and barking

2. Another dog barks the whole night - constant yapping.

3. There is a huge amount of dog dirt in the garden , and during the summer the smell of it coming over the fence was horrible.

Myself and wife are expecting are first child in the early summer , and the noise of the dogs wont be a good environment to bring up a child. I have no privacy what so ever in my kitchen and garden.

This is only one of twos problems I have with this lady - as when she goes out , she comes back at night - and turns up music real loud , and roars and shouts. I dont think she is the full basket at all.....but thats something else to deal it.

My wife approached here about the dogs a number of months ago , and she said "oh , my dogs dont make any noise..." ....and "if hes up on the kennel tell him to go to bed "

Its not my job to discipline the dogs - or spend money getting it sorted - I was thinking about wrecking a high fence or wall - but why should I be out of pocket on this !

Tonight Im going to approach her , and tell her I want to get rid of most of her dogs. Am I being fair/unfair ? 5 dogs ????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

dopeyboy wrote: »
    Right....a quick bit of history and then some advice please...

We live beside a woman who now owns 5 dogs and 3/4 cats. When we first moved into the house , the lady next door only had 1 dog.

The back garden where she keeps the dogs is not very big - the house is a pretty new development (around 2000) so you know how much space builders give up for back yards !

The dogs she has are mostly mongrels , two are like spaniels , a jack russelly type , some sort of collie cross (main problem) , some real ugly brown dog with yellow eyes & strays and now its reached the end of the line.

1. A dog is always on top of the kennels , looking over our fence , into our garden , and kitchen. If we're in the kitchen the dog will bark at us - and when I go out in the back garden , the dog will bark like mad and chase me up and down the garden - with load growls and barking

2. Another dog barks the whole night - constant yapping.

3. There is a huge amount of dog dirt in the garden , and during the summer the smell of it coming over the fence was horrible.

Myself and wife are expecting are first child in the early summer , and the noise of the dogs wont be a good environment to bring up a child. I have no privacy what so ever in my kitchen and garden.

This is only one of twos problems I have with this lady - as when she goes out , she comes back at night - and turns up music real loud , and roars and shouts. I dont think she is the full basket at all.....but thats something else to deal it.

My wife approached here about the dogs a number of months ago , and she said "oh , my dogs dont make any noise..." ....and "if hes up on the kennel tell him to go to bed "

Its not my job to discipline the dogs - or spend money getting it sorted - I was thinking about wrecking a high fence or wall - but why should I be out of pocket on this !

Tonight Im going to approach her , and tell her I want to get rid of most of her dogs. Am I being fair/unfair ? 5 dogs ????

I doubt that you will be met with much understanding asking her to get rid of her dogs.
    The ISPCA can do damn all also so long as the dogs have adequate food and shelter.
    To be honest if you want some peace and quiet I would suggest to her to go halves on some proper fencing and hedging to cordon off the gardens properly and failing that I'd just fork out for it myself if it was causing me that much of a problem.
    Do the neighbours on the other side have the same problem? I would suggest talking to them too as if she is a nuisance noise wise then I'd say you will get more of a chance of getting the guards out to her for noise pollution.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

I would give her a list of your complaints and what you want done with a deadline for completion first. e.g. cleaning up all the dog poo, no more loud music, stopping her dogs from barking (it can be done!). If she refuses to co-operate then contact the relevant authority for noise pollution, can't remember who it is, and make a formal complaint that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say try reporting her to the SPCA anyway. It sounds like the dogs have a crap life (I presume they aren't taken out for walks which would explain the incessant barking caused by boredom) lack of socializing can cause dogs to go crazy, understandably, if they are left in the garden all day with no exersize.

Even if she isn't breaking the law (do the dogs have food, water and shelter?) maybe an SPCA inspector could have a word anyway and encourage her to start exercising the dogs and making their environment cleaner. (maybe dept. of health would get involved if the dog excrement is causing a health hazard)

Good luck.

Advertisement