Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on patches

Options
  • 16-12-2008 1:30am

Hey all, Just quit smoking there over the weekend. The first 2 days were quite hard, so today I bought a pack of 14 patches. I'm first of all wondering if this is a good idea, as I went 2 days without the auld smokes cold turkey.
    I'm thinking maybe go through this pack of patches and then go cold turkey after? Or is this a terrible idea. I know christmas isn't the best time to quit, with all the parties or whatever, but hey..gives me a headstart on new years :pac:

Now I smoked pretty much anywhere from 25-40 cigs a day depending on what I was doing for about 3 years, just to give you some backround info. Havn't had a craving at all since I put my first patch on. I've even been doing that rubber band thing where you keep one around your wrist and snap it every time you feel like smoking, which believe it or not actually helped.

So any input about my methodology is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

hi trying myself on the 1st jan, from all the info and reading here on the boards, cold turkey seems to be the best way to go, as you are still getting some form of nicotine from the patches , you will have to come off them at some time and then the withdrawel will take place..but hey to be honest id try everything..lol

dollyk wrote: »
    hi trying myself on the 1st jan, from all the info and reading here on the boards, cold turkey seems to be the best way to go, as you are still getting some form of nicotine from the patches , you will have to come off them at some time and then the withdrawel will take place..but hey to be honest id try everything..lol

The nicotine from the patches is still a million times better than smoking :)
    They really make a big difference with cravings. So if you feel yourself about to cave in and smoke, just go to the chemist as opposed to the local spar and buy patches instead of smokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    The nicotine from the patches is still a million times better than smoking :)
    They really make a big difference with cravings. So if you feel yourself about to cave in and smoke, just go to the chemist as opposed to the local spar and buy patches instead of smokes.
    No, don't, that's almost as bad as going and buying a packet of smokes. I know there's a significant difference in terms of damage to health, but by doing so you're losing the battle to the addiction i.e caving to the craving.

If you feel yourself craving, go outside and take a few deep breaths of air and have a glass of water, then remind yourself how good it'll feel to be off the filthy things and just remember, it's the nicotine addiction that is causing it and by feeding it nicotine, you're only going to remain a slave to it for a longer period of time and cost yourself more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Yes but the patches really, really DO help. I'm off the smokes over 3 months now - I was never able to give them up before now. Smoking over 20 yrs.

I stayed on the patches for about 2 weeks. They really took the edge of a craving. You have enough temptation and battles with yourself in the first few days so anything at all that helps is worth it.

I had no problem coming off the patches at all after that - no headaches or anything. I just stopped. I missed the mad dreams though!!

holly8 wrote: »
    I just stopped. I missed the mad dreams though!!

LOL. Whats with the mad dreams? I only used daytime ones, but sometimes I'd have a nap with one on and the dreams are pure mental and vivid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

holly8 wrote: »
    Yes but the patches really, really DO help. I'm off the smokes over 3 months now - I was never able to give them up before now. Smoking over 20 yrs.

I stayed on the patches for about 2 weeks. They really took the edge of a craving. You have enough temptation and battles with yourself in the first few days so anything at all that helps is worth it.

I had no problem coming off the patches at all after that - no headaches or anything. I just stopped. I missed the mad dreams though!!
    Yes but you have to realise that you're in a tiny minority of people.

Most who use substitutes end up using them for a long, long time. My own mother, for example, has been using the gum for over a year now and can't let it go.

They're called substitutes for a reason and are pretty f-ing pricey themselves, especially considering they're not needed whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

Rb wrote: »
    Yes but you have to realise that you're in a tiny minority of people.

Most who use substitutes end up using them for a long, long time. My own mother, for example, has been using the gum for over a year now and can't let it go.

They're called substitutes for a reason and are pretty f-ing pricey themselves, especially considering they're not needed whatsoever.

I know, I know. I hear you. All I can say is that they helped me. I found coming off patches easy-peasy after coming of the cigs. Though my bro had the headaches/sweats for 2-3 days after & my mother is still on the gum 7 yrs later - so you do have a valid point. But I didn't have to buy them - I just used my brother's left-overs!

For the 1st few weeks after I gave up, I had to break all my usual habits. The physical craving for nicotine was only part of it, the physcological habit was harder to break. So I had to do it one habit at a time. I don't know if I could have handled it all together.

I had to cut out surfing on web at night & long chatty phone calls when kids in bed (usual social outlet with glass wine in hand) & coffee breaks at work, etc. I had to stop visiting 2 particular friends & my sister altogether. Old smoking buddies - I only looked at them and I wanted to smoke. Sounds pathetic! Whenever, wherever I smoked had to go.

I was in bed every night at 8:30 trying to sleep though the withdrawal as much as I could ( I am a nightowl, never bed before 1am)

Once the physcological habit was broken, the physical part was easier.

DH just quit today - I put him to bed at 9pm and covered him in patches!!!

Advertisement