Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Wedding C&C

Options
  • 16-12-2008 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Did an alternative wedding shoot for a couple celebrating their 1st wedding aniversary.

3111381776_128aa48a0c.jpg

3110484049_30a0c6c2cf.jpg

3111434486_f8b64ce393.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

are the colours off slightly...the wb maybe? interesting shoot, first image is a bit too far off, couple too small in it imo, the second is a bit mneh also, maybe its the colours i dunno, seems bland and too dark, again distractions all round from lass. The final one, hummm the cut dress for one and yer man needs to work on his poses big time lol. Idont mean to be harse, I thinkt hey would look better with some more pp.

tho thats my opinion, tis worth nothing in reality :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

First one looks like a tilt shift - is that what you were going for?

Is that a noose in the background of no 3??

I have a punk wedding to do in June. Hmmm.... difficult to get right I'd say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

The ones not on here are much better imo.

Unlike the others I think one is grand, though getting the swans closer in the still bit of water would have been good maybe.

no. 2, I'm not gone on the angle.

No. 3, love the noose. I think his pose is grand as it's all very informal.

@ Sinead

"I have a punk wedding to do in June. Hmmm.... difficult to get right I'd say.. "

Don't do weddings, but I'd make an exception to taggle along for that.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

As fergus said"alternative" not Punk.
    Punk is bandied around too easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ok - I'm going out on a limb here.

I'd say what a 'hot' couple. I mean the groom looks like he should be in one of those hard rock bands like bon jovi and the bride is just the hottest thing in a dress - so hot i'd say she should be a photographer. I mean the second photo says it all - foxy ????? You might say she gave him her harte???? Ah, go on - am i right or am i going to be eternally mortified? :o

Now re: the photos - I love the concept and the whole trash the dress thing and its great to see the groom getting involved here too. Way to go you couple (who ever you are :cool:)

#1 is good if a little far away. There is quite a bit of shadow over the subjects which if the lighting had been better would have been great. Even far away as it is I think the depth of field and resulting bokeh makes it interesting to the eye. It one if printing to blow up to the size of a door (well maybe a window) - but i'd guess that it would need to be really big to appreciate it. I like it though.

#2 I think this is great. Only thing i'd suggest is that its a little too bright (at least on my screen which in fairness isn't calibrated) The pose is great (that one really should be a model ;) ) and interestingly i find that i normally dislike most shots from low angles as it tends to be very unflattering. I think in this case it works in that you've gotten the distance just right. Turn the brightness down a little. Would also like a little vignette.

#3 is technically fine but i wouldn't be gone on the background. The rope hanging looks like something you wouldn't want to have at your wedding (i'm getting the image of a noose) so i'd clone that out if it were me. The lines of the wall / frames in the background kinda emerge from the couples heads which I also don't think works in terms of a general scene.

Anyhow i like them. Well done DK. If the happy couple are who I think they are then can i just say to the brid- YOU GO GIRL!!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Covey wrote: »
    The ones not on here are much better imo.

T.

Why do people always say that to me, Shot selection should be the easy part :D

More pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fergusmcnally/sets/72157611298733970/

An Cat Well spotted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

AnCatDubh wrote: »

#2 I think this is great. The pose is great (that one really should be a model ;) )

thats one of the thinks i like least funnily? Looks like a pose a stubourn 7 year old would pull when surrounded by aunties demanding a redition of "I'm a little tea pot"

yay! go meee-eeee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭nilhg

Foxy indeed.

Nice set, not sure you've posted anything like the best here, hope this one doesn't symbolise their marriage.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I think the 2nd and 3rd shot would look good if they where heavily desaturated untill almost at the point of black and white. Give them a bit more of the "moody" or "gritty" ideal that you and the couple seem to be trying to go for.

The couple themselves unfortunately dont seem relaxed enough either, almost as if theyre trying to hard to be "alternative" (Animal Rights- Alternative is another term that is bandied about waaayyy too often) and instead just look like a cheesy 80's rock tribute band.
    Unfortunately though thats one big problem with wedding type stuff and unless your practiced at it its hard to get the couple to relax for the camera so no criticism really on yourself.

The first one is great as is IMO, i like the distance in it, although i would possibly have got on my knees for this one in terms of perspective.

EDIT: Just had a look at the whole set, you definetly didnt chose the best ones...but then thats not always the best thing to do for C&C. I reckon most of them would benefit from reducing the saturation though.

• Advertisement

Hah! Eirebear!
    Of course you right on the alternative thing and I agree with the cheesy/naff comment.
    Only looked at pics on my iPhone so will need to see on my desktop
    Tommorow, gut feeling is with earlier posters on shot selection.

As fergus said"alternative" not Punk.
    Punk is bandied around too easily.

I know what Fergus said- I wasn't suggesting its the same thing. The bride wants a 'trash the dress' style shoot which is what made me think of it. The couple are punks :rolleyes: They chose me because they loved the style of some gig shots I've done for them.

Tommy you're more than welcome along!

@OP - I didn't mean the above to sound like criticism. I've been stuck to the computer writing code for weeks now and I think I've lost 80% of my language skills.. I really like the style of them. I think the DoF in the first throws the eye a bit - I would have gone a bit wider on it (or maybe its the saturation?) but that's just MHO anyway. And I like the noose too - nice touch :) I just wasn't sure if I was seeing things last night. At this stage of assignments time it wouldn't be unheard of..

And who are they? I have no idea..

sineadw wrote: »
    The couple are punks :rolleyes:
    Not sure what you mean here...are you referring to this upcoming wedding you have or to this couple or just being sarcastic? :p
    99% of what non Punks call Punk is not.
    Simple.
    I know you know about Paranoid Visions but can you name another 5 Irish Punk bands who are still gigging?
    Can you name 5 non Irish Punk bands and don't be peeking at my pixie for the answers.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

sineadw wrote: »
    And who are they? I have no idea..

Smell the glove and her other half!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

+1 to the previous 'foxy' comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Hi all, I'm loving this set for more reasons than one....

Can I just say that first of all I chose these pics as they were some of my favourite, we had discussed it and thought it would be funny to see who copped it.... not that I've met many of you;)

We had an absolute amazing day, so much fun and it gave the wedding areal run for its money, hitching along the road had to be a topper! Or maybe it was the look on hubbies face when I woke him wearing my dress! Anyway Fergus did a great job, we love the shots and isnt that the main thing.

There are some amazing shots in there, I loved the day although it was tiring driving around Dublin on a Sunday morning in a wedding dress....

In response to posts

So hubbie reckons he doesnt need pp....

He is from a cheesy 80's style rock band

I wasnt really awkward, more frozen:P

And Sinead, I did a punk wedding and it kicked ass. Dread locks rocker boots and full length velvet coat, brilliant! Can't believe you didnt recognise me, I'm hurt!

So hubbie reckons he doesnt need pp....

He is from a cheesy 80's style rock band

I wasnt really awkward, more frozen

hehe, i hope i didnt cause any offence i didnt know it was yerself! :D

Ah its all good, I'm no oil painting anyway so we're not expecting to be called supermodels;)

Ah its all good, I'm no oil painting anyway so we're not expecting to be called supermodels;)

I dunno "foxy" seems to be the general consensus! Not sure about hubby though :p

• Advertisement

lol, our surname is FOX so the graffiti rocked!

lol, our surname is FOX so the graffiti rocked!

ahhhhhhhh its all falling into place now.........i think i shall resign to another thread before i look any dafter!

hehe, ah we were terrible playing a trick on you all really.

Sorry STG! :) You look stunning.. If I ever get married again (guffaw!) I'll do a trash shoot, rather than the real one. Actually, maybe when my divorce comes through... if I ever find my dress again.. hmm.. rubs chin..

** IRRELEVANT MATERIAL DELETED **

They've asked me to shoot the wedding on the back of a lot of gigs I've shot for them as they liked the grungy style I use sometimes. They're on my Pixie account.. I'm really really looking forward to it and terrified of not doing a decent enough job in equal quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Is this the music forum or is it a Punk thing to go wildly off topic?:pac:

For the benefit of the OP please KEEP THIS ON TOPIC. This forum is NOT interested in punk. Its irrelevant. THIS IS NOT A PUNK DISCUSSION. The thread is being pulled off topic. Please PM each other on the topic or take it to a music forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Would have to say Punk rightly or wrongly has being mentioned by 3-4 diff posters and all with pics or links.

DK on the photographs - and I am sorry for your sake that they were victim of a semantics argument - I have a couple of comments.

1) Photograph 1 I like but the couple look a little lost in the photograph. I think this could have been alleviated somewhat if you'd managed to get the groom to have his face in the sun. I see the bride's face is in the sun...I think their faces would stand out a bit more...and I think, looking at the photo, his face is shaded by the bride's head? If you'd gotten that, you would probably have gotten a really nice black and white with sepia tint out of that photographs

2) Photograph 2 I like a lot. I must be in a serious black and white mode at the moment because I would, however, up the contrast quite a bit and convert it. Maybe not throw the sepia filter on that but get a nice contrasty black and white would be lovely.

3) Photograph 3 is a beautiful photograph. On my screen however (and it may well be my screen) the bride's jacket is zoning into the background. YOu might want to have a little look at the contrast on that.

Best regards

Calina.

Advertisement