Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music & Video Games

Options
  • 15-12-2008 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

As a gamer, what would be your favourite type of music to listen to while playin your favourite online games?

Just to add; I didn't mean playing music when playing your games in story mode offline, as that indeed would be quite distracting.

I'll start it off with an example;

While playin FPS & sports games I like to listen to The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Kasabian and Linkin Park amongst other similar artists.

Whats yours?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tried in the past but it just doesn't work for me, I find it incredibly distracting...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

for me it depends on the pace o the game.
    in fast and furious fps,id do thrash metal like old metallica stuff.
    if i was playin the likes of pro evo solo,it would be netin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Tried in the past but it just doesn't work for me, I find it incredibly distracting...

I know what ye mean. I did find it distracting at first. Like it just wasn't feeling natural controlling and not hearing everything going on in the game. But listening to the right music did add an extra rush to online gaming so I kept it up.

After a while it wasn't a distraction anymore and everything felt natural again.

I started to find I played better when I had some good music rockin nice and loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If I'm playing an FPS or any game with a half decent story then I'd leave the tunes off (for the sake of not wondering what the **** is going on 3 or 4 stages down the line :D)

Any game after them (fight night, pro ev, fifa etc) its usually classic 90's rap if havin a few smokes or trance if its a night in with some cans. Very organised :D:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Can't play games while listening to something with words so it's instrumental stuff all the way. Russian Circles, Explosions in the Sky, Saxon Shore, El Ten Eleven etc.

On the flip side, i listen to a few game soundtracks from time to time while working. Most of them stream from here; http://www.gamemusicjukebox.com/?

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote: »
    Can't play games while listening to something with words so it's instrumental stuff all the way. Russian Circles, Explosions in the Sky, Saxon Shore, El Ten Eleven etc.

Gonna check some of those artists out. What kind of instrumentals we talkin about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Varies really. Russian Circles are a bit heavier, El Ten Eleven are really sedate like Saxon Shore and Explosions in the Sky are superb stuff... very polished musicians.

Most games soundtracks suit the game really well so bringing in outside music doesn't always work and a lot of the time takes away from the experience. Posting a thread like this in the Counter Strike forum would get interesting results as there isn't much in the way of audio in that game apart from team calls and gunfire.

That said... you do get some people who find themselves so immersed in a game that music and in-game audio doesn't matter a jot and you could be shouting at them from across a room and they'd shrug you off.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Varies really. Russian Circles are a bit heavier, El Ten Eleven are really sedate like Saxon Shore and Explosions in the Sky are superb stuff... very polished musicians.

Most games soundtracks suit the game really well so bringing in outside music doesn't always work and a lot of the time takes away from the experience. Posting a thread like this in the Counter Strike forum would get interesting results as there isn't much in the way of audio in that game apart from team calls and gunfire.

That said... you do get some people who find themselves so immersed in a game that music and in-game audio doesn't matter a jot and you could be shouting at them from across a room and they'd shrug you off.

Just listened to Russian Circles and they are similar to 65daysofstatic who I like, so I'll check out some more of their stuff. Cheers.

And yea I should have worded the original post better. I am more aiming the question at online gaming when you're not really following a story and there's no in-game music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,979 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I always only listen to the in game music. I'm quite pedantic about it and will even do so no matter how bad it is. I find the in game music suits the game better than anything else. Playing something like Panzer Dragoon Orta or Shadow of the colossus with anything other than in game music is sacrilege.

I've changed the original post to point out I meant online competitive gaming.

As you have pointed out, it would be a bit odd playing other music over a game in story mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

WipEout goes well with music...especially the Prodigy or Orbital :D

CCCP^ wrote: »
    WipEout goes well with music...especially the Prodigy or Orbital :D

Racing games are somethin I always over look! I have to get meself a copy of the DIRT or PGR4 soon. I loved the older versions of those games.

And online gaming with a great racing game + top music= nice gaming rush :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I always only listen to the in game music. I'm quite pedantic about it and will even do so no matter how bad it is. I find the in game music suits the game better than anything else. Playing something like Panzer Dragoon Orta or Shadow of the colossus with anything other than in game music is sacrilege.

Well said, most games these days have better musical scores than movies, I'm playing Prince of Persia at the mo and cant imagine playing it without that gorgeous score booming through my headphones, the score to Shadow of the Colossus puts a lot of fantasy movies to shame, even when playing on Live its ingame audio only

Advertisement