Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BER Design and reaching an A3 or B1

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hello all,

Started recently to look at what I have to do to achieve an A3 or even a B1. To me it seems complicated.

I have two options:
    • Get down to work and do a bit of study
    • Get someone else to do the work and give me the spec of how I should build my house to achieve an A3

I have done a fair bit of research, and I find it very complicated. I'm grand with u-values but its like how are stoves with external air supply rated or Stanley stove where it will take air from the room? Little quirky things like that make me a bit confused on how they fit in.

To get someone to do the whole thing properly and spec it out how much should I expect to pay. This is just looking at BER related activities, I'm not looking at materials and actual work on site

I know it only early days and the newer regulations are only in since this summer. But how have other people gotten over this?

Its early days for me(still in planning), but this is something that needs to be done early.

Regards,
    Cormac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Hire an SEI registered BER assessor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Cormacmul as sinnerboy says you need an SEI registered assessor. Some assessors offer a specification improvements service in addition to the basic BER service which will specify what you need to get to A3 or B1. A preliminary assessment based on your plans can be sepced to achieve the levels you require but you would have to price the additional materials etc, and there would be a lot of them to achieve A1, yourself unless you also wanted to hire a Quantity Surveyor. Definately do it as early as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cormacmul

Hello sinnerboy,

The house I'm hoping to build is very simple. The only quirky things in it are
    • it's at a bad angle for solar panels (As in no flat part of the roof is facing south)
    • It is going to have one small stove with external air supply
    • Large stove with air supply from the room

My issue is that the BER design is there seems to be a standard fee for a specification that is mostly a collection of information that can be got from other places. With maybe 10 or 20 pages specific to your build.

The only good thing I can see is that if during the build if I need some advice, they would be available to take a call. This I think is worth something.

How much should I pay for the specification above. What have other people paid?

I just want to put a note here that I am not against the BER system or higher regulations. I think its great but I do think it should be a more simple process. It seems to me, if you are doing a simple or complex house it doesn't matter the spec is the same price.

Thanks,
    Cormac

Look back on you first post . And mine . Sorry I can't be more helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

cormacmul wrote: »
    My issue is that the BER design is there seems to be a standard fee for a specification that is mostly a collection of information that can be got from other places. With maybe 10 or 20 pages specific to your build.

The only good thing I can see is that if during the build if I need some advice, they would be available to take a call. This I think is worth something.

And a Doctors fee would be based on a prognosis gathered from information that can be got from other places as well. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm, confused too do you want advice or just to give out about BER assessors without having even appointed one?? If you have a problem with paying extra for advice about the specification improvements you want don't!!just pay for a BER cert when the build is finished you get a rating based on what you've put in and have researched yourself but dont be suprised if you don't get the rating you think you will. As for what you will pay theres around 700 assessors in the country ask a few of them for a quote for exactly the service you require.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hello sinnerboy,

The house I'm hoping to build is very simple. The only quirky things in it are
    • it's at a bad angle for solar panels (As in no flat part of the roof is facing south)
    • It is going to have one small stove with external air supply
    • Large stove with air supply from the room

I just want to put a note here that I am not against the BER system or higher regulations. I think its great but I do think it should be a more simple process. It seems to me, if you are doing a simple or complex house it doesn't matter the spec is the same price.

Thanks,
    Cormac

cormac...

in order to have a good specification you need to think about lots of factors.
    • how the materials work with and react with each other
    • how the materials can breathe and if theres a layer that stops this
    • the structural capacity of the material
    • the compliance of the material to building regulations
    • the price and availability of the material

• Registered Users Posts: 38 cormacmul

Hi All,

I'm not giving out and apologies if I'm coming across like that.

As I said I am a big believer in saving energy and believe that money spent at this stage can save money in the long run.

I was quoted 800 Euro and then VAT on top of that for the specification.

I think this is a lot of money.

I suppose I'm looking for other house builder opinions. People that have actually got a specification. What have they paid? Have they found it useful?

Maybe it early days for the new regulations and not many self builders have actually done this before.

Thanks for advice, I'm not giving out. I just don't want to spend money and regret it later.

Talk later,
    Cormac

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the most important use for a specification, in my opinion, is at the tender stage when all tenderers price for the same materials. if you have construction drawings and a construction spec then you know all the builders are pricing for the same build, otherwis eyou simply do not...

do not expect a builder to list each and every piece of material hes pricing for.

then during the build, the spec is basically an instruction manual for the builder when building.

If you do not have one then;
    You will never know what the builder was pricing for.
    You have very little come back during the build if the builder uses sub-standard materials...

Hi All,I was quoted 800 Euro and then VAT on top of that for the specification.I think this is a lot of money.Cormac

Construction cost vary around the country - a lot . From €2k/m2 around the M50 to €1/m2 further from there .

Where I am ( within M50 ) €800 will not get you 3 skips ( €290 ea inc VAT )

How much are you going to invest in the construction ? Have a look at the heat pumps thread and see how much people are paying for ESB bills . I'll wager they did not have the advice I am am recommending - that you seem to believe is not worth it .

Retain a BER asssor to take you through the build options and guide you in detail where your choices will leave you in terms of energy performance before you lay a single brick ( or timber frame panel or whatever ) .

You will have plenty of time ( and money ? ) later to regret ( or not ) later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

sinnerboy wrote: »
    From €2k/m2 around the M50 to €1/m2 further from there .

Surely one of these figures is wrong!

Shop around theres better value out there if you look!! and it depends on what you are looking for and as sinnerboy says where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

My advise for what its worth is to get at least 3 quotes. But check the qualifications of these people giving the quotes as an underqualified person eg a hairdresser who has done the BER course will not be in a position to give the best advise for upgrading a spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Cormac, Just to let you know that the best angle for solar panels is 30 degrees facing south. You dont need a flat roof at all.

Also you seem to be trying to save money. In order to do this you need to hire an accessor who will provide you with a proper specification for your house. It is by implementing this specification in the construction of the house that saves you MONEY (in the long term).

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Always get three quotes minimum!
    No matter what you are looking for or doing in construction.

Its early days still, hopefully someone who has retained a BER ssessor will answer your query. A Registered BER Assessor will have done the course, paid a fee to be registered and have P.I insurance.

€800 isn't a huge amount on the build cost of a house circa 150K to 300K. It would buy 31 rolls of fibre glass, or 26 bales of 60mm cavity insulation board, or 1600 blocks!

Q2002 wrote: »
    Surely one of these figures is wrong!

Don't call me Shirley :D

Advertisement