Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website C&C

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Have a new website on the go, I know its not perfect, a few pointers would be nice, cheers lads and lassies!

www.fmcphotos.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Only thing I'd say is that on my screen resolution it's all up in the top left corner, looks kinda "unbalanced" to me :)

Screeny:
    screenshot.jpg

[Edit]Just checked it in Firefox and IE. Firefox has the same problem but IE looks right.[/Edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Clean, straightforward and to the point. All things I look for in a website.

A few minor critiques:

You have the domain so there's no need to be advertising your gmail address, at the very least get a forwarder.

Is there any way you can get rid of the flash on the frontpage? Might just be me but it's a pet hate of mine on-line and Firefox Ad Blocker places a big 'Block' tab over your front-page photos.

Use alt tags for all your images, they help search engines know what your page is about.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Nice site - simple, clear, to the point. Lovely picts. Shame you're a Nikon user. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I'd agree with what's been said so far.

The website looks good, nice and simple!

Tables shouldn't be used to design the site but that's not down to you, it's the designers I suppose.

I'd say add a bit more text into the website to help with SEO and also get the web master to add in meta tags for each page!

Looking good though Fergus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

kjt wrote: »

I'd say add a bit more text into the website to help with SEO and also get the web master to add in meta tags for each page!

QUOTE]

Whats SEO?
    Who is the Webmaster?
    And what are Meta Tags?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Yep looks good. The key is keeping it simple and let people look at your photos easily.

So in summary, nice site, brutal photographer! Kidding..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Whats SEO?
    Who is the Webmaster?
    And what are Meta Tags?

SEO = Search Engine Optimisation
    Webmaster = person who updates/edits/creates the website
    Meta Tags = tags such as "keyword", "description","Copyright", "Author" etc, basically tags that help give information about the site which search engines and such use more than people see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

nice BUT logo needs to be above the menu

menu
    logo
    heading

the heading and menu break off due to this positioning,
    i would also consider a different logo but either way should be positioned top left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey Fergus,
    SEO = Search Engine Optimisation. It's what help google/msn/yahoo to index your pages and ranks you better. SEO is a business in itself within Web design/development.

Meta tags are part of HTML but are there for the sole use of search engine spiders. They will help you with ranking better but won't shoot you to the top on their own. (linky)

I was guessing the webmaster was somebody within Cite?
    At the bottom it says "Designed by Cite", or was it a template you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i think it's clean, simple and easy to navigate - as someone has already said - everything I like about a photgrapher's website!

Just a personal thing though - I'd like a bit more info. For instance the alternative wedding - such as what you/the couple were trying to achieve, etc. Don't take that as criticism though - I'm not a pro or a designer - that's purely a personal thing with me.

Looks good so far though, and I look forward to seein it grow!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Gambler wrote: »
    Only thing I'd say is that on my screen resolution it's all up in the top left corner, looks kinda "unbalanced" to me :)

Screeny:
    screenshot.jpg

[Edit]Just checked it in Firefox and IE. Firefox has the same problem but IE looks right.[/Edit]

nice website...., really clean and simple... but as Gambler mentioned, at my screen resolution, your content shows in the top left of the screen filling about 25%

Simon

Advertisement