Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Portfolio

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi. I'm doing a model portfolio for someone, and I wondered how many photos should it contain, and what type of photos.. were to take them, in a city or in a landscape...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Isar wrote: »
    Hi. I'm doing a model portfolio for someone, and I wondered how many photos should it contain, and what type of photos.. were to take them, in a city or in a landscape...

Isar, are you a WUM?

For the past week or so you've started threads that can only be described as wind ups IMHO, from memory cards to looking for business cards printed and delivered for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Reading his threads he appears to basically have just gotten in at full force into Photography, kinda like doing everything in 1 go.
    Whereas as I started as a newbie have to learn and do things 1 step at a time...hence I'm not even at the web site yet. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

Excuse me, didn't know people could be so rude, and by the way, i didn't just get into photography, i've been a photographer for almost 4 years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Excuse me, didn't know people could be so rude, and by the way, i didn't just get into photography, i've been a photographer for almost 4 years.

the questions are odd alright, moreso since you've been at it for 4 years?

Back to the original question, kinda depends on many factors, whos the model, looks/style/experience/aspirations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Begs the question, what have you been photographing for 4 years, that you don't know how to think for yourself?

Anyway, for a model portfolio, you would want a mix of settings and lighting.
    I'd get some shots in a park as well as some shots around a building with character and some studio shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I didn't say new I said full force. :)
    I have seen your website and read 4 years.
    I liked the little red riding hood take with your model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This fella' cracks me up..
    Some of your thread titles aren't even polite
    "Need Help now please!"

Come on like try and be polite atleast you are asking for help...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I gather you're doing all this for free? :D

Most models want about 10-15 images for their portfolio, prints, different scenes and different outfits. Some indoor, some outdoor.

Really, you should try talking to the model, and ask what SHE wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Paulw wrote: »
    I gather you're doing all this for free? :D
    Really should be, considering he's got no running costs to cover now... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Careful folks - Isar is asking advice and advice which others in the future may benefit from if they read the thread in the search archive. Should any user have a concern about the posts of any other forum user they should raise it with any of the moderators by PM or report the offending posts which means that all moderators will receive it. Please don't derail a users thread with posting any suspicions that you may have inline in the thread. That's downright rude and in variance to the the forum charter on many counts and hence you'll find yourself picking up an infraction before too long. If you intend something in jest then please use the smileys to signify it such that your post isn't misinterpreted.

Isar - You are welcome to post any photography queries on the forum. Re: the topic, I haven't done a portfolio shoot as yet but i'd suggest you have a search of the archive - it has come up many times (not your specific query but you willl find other useful information which might be of benefit).

Good luck with your shoot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Ask the models what type of work they are looking to do and guide them in that direction, some studio style/outdoor location shots/head/head shoulders/full length/flash/natural light that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Careful folks - Isar is asking advice and advice which others in the future may benefit from if they read the thread in the search archive. Should any user have a concern about the posts of any other forum user they should raise it with any of the moderators by PM or report the offending posts which means that all moderators will receive it. Please don't derail a users thread with posting any suspicions that you may have inline in the thread. That's downright rude and in variance to the the forum charter on many counts and hence you'll find yourself picking up an infraction before too long. If you intend something in jest then please use the smileys to signify it such that your post isn't misinterpreted.

Isar - You are welcome to post any photography queries on the forum. Re: the topic, I haven't done a portfolio shoot as yet but i'd suggest you have a search of the archive - it has come up many times (not your specific query but you willl find other useful information which might be of benefit).

Good luck with your shoot.

The least he could do is give us information of the model as people have said above..I can't see many models wanting to trawl through a muddy field for the special shot but this one could be a mud wrestler or something..we just don't know...He could atleast give us details about his equipment as we could suggest night time city shots and he could have no flash gun or a low light lens... Hes trying to get help from us but for that to happen he needs to help us first supplying us with as much info as possible of all the factors that could be a problem or something helpfull when doing this shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I realise Christmas is stressful but there's no need to be narky, please guys.

1) OP, you need to discuss with your client what he or she wants. Obviously they will be using the portfolio to market themselves, so they will want a portfolio tailored. There is no such thing as a one size fits all portfolio.

2) The rest of you don't need all his camera information to answer that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Calina, you're taking this thread in isolation.
    Many people would be forgiven for speculating that the next thread from the OP would be, "I Want Someone To Shoot A Model For Me, FOR FREE, Right now!"

City-Exile wrote: »
    Calina, you're taking this thread in isolation.
    Many people would be forgiven for speculating that the next thread from the OP would be, "I Want Someone To Shoot A Model For Me, FOR FREE, Right now!"

You're right. I am finding it hard to believe that people who are usually so helpful can be so snarky on this occasion.

Personally if I had an issue from questions from the OP, I just wouldn't post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

2) The rest of you don't need all his camera information to answer that question.

I disagree, everyone knows at minumum you need a 30mpx, Ubikkor 100Dx with a 3-6534mm f1.4 USM-AFS Fujinon lens to take anything of quality...

/sarc

OP maybe be a little more specific and more focused?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

isar = jogorman on flickr???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

No I don't use flickr or any of those kind of uploading your photos sites, as they are full of crappy untalented photos, sites like that just happen to get way to many photographers, so its pretty hard to find something of interest or quality.

I must say that most of you guys have been extremely rude, and I will definetly use this site if I need help allot less. This does not count Calina & Ancatdubh.

Consider yourself a member lost, and I would not recommend the photography section of boards.ie to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

No I don't use flickr or any of those kind of uploading your photos sites, as they are full of crappy untalented photos,
    I must say that most of you guys have been extremely rude

I was reading this thread and was a bit surprised at some of the responses but you're being quite rude yourself there. It's hardly surprising people are rude to you
    Consider yourself a member lost, and I would not recommend the photography section of boards.ie to anyone.

boohoo, how will we sleep at night ???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I sometimes wonder when a photographer offers his services (model portfolio) for €150-200 and then posts on boards asking what he should provide to the client. Normally a cost of service is based upon what the service provides - time, equipment, work involved, etc, plus profit.

But you have a price range, but no specifics as to what you will provide for that.

Maybe if you considered the vast amount of information and advice you've received here in the last week alone, you will see that rather than being rude, the members here have given you plenty of help, and just feel like they're been taken advantage of a bit by all your requests.

Boards photography is a two way street - give and take, mutual assistance. That's what makes it so strong and makes it work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

No I don't use flickr or any of those kind of uploading your photos sites, as they are full of crappy untalented photos, sites like that just happen to get way to many photographers, so its pretty hard to find something of interest or quality.

It's actually incredibly easy. Pop in your Keyword into the search function and start scrolling down the page. Chances are had you done this in Flickr, pix.ie or DA then you would have seen a host of samples and photos that might inspire your own shoot.

I do this quite regularly and never fail to find work that inspires me.

Consider that members who contribute plenty of advice and images will be missed.

Others won't be.

I have had enough. Could you lot all - all of you - refer to the basic manners thread linked on the charter please and remember the bit about being nice and welcoming to new/inexperienced posters. Points can be made without coming across as snarky.

This thread is locked and we will decide later what if any further action to take.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement