Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What if a car has never been nct tested?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have a 95 peugeot 106 car,(old i know) It seems that this car has never been nct tested at all.

I have done a lot of work to it and its gonna be ready to go for an nct test in Jan 09.

Now what happens in a case like this? i know if a car did have a test and it expired, that the new test would go back to when the old one ended.

So my question is, Will i have to back date nct certs to the year they started doing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Buffman

Its a 2 year cycle, every 2 years from the date of first registration it's due. As yours is a 95, if you did it now the max time you would get is 1 year (ish) depending on the month. Say it was first reged in Jan 95, if you did it now you would get 1 month NCT until Jan 09. But if you left it until after Jan 09, you would get a 2 year NCT till Jan 11.

EDIT: Actually just remembered you can do the NCT up to 3 months in advance of the date of first reg, and get a full 2 year NCT

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ya wont have to backdate it. Get the cops to sign that forum saying the car has been off the road for whatever amount of time. Then you wont have to pay a load in back tax

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

seanybiker wrote: »
    ya wont have to backdate it. Get the cops to sign that forum saying the car has been off the road for whatever amount of time. Then you wont have to pay a load in back tax
    They're talking about the NCT, not road tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Anan1 wrote: »
    They're talking about the NCT, not road tax.
    i know that but he still gonna have to pay back money on road tax also. Just thought i let him know that :)

Tax & NCT have nothing to do with each other. Any mention of NCT has in fact vanished from the updated RF100A tax form.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

thanks

i know that but he still gonna have to pay back money on road tax also. Just thought i let him know that :)

'Eh, hello guard, my cars been off the road since 1995, can ya just stamp this form please':D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Buffman wrote: »
    'Eh, hello guard, my cars been off the road since 1995, can ya just stamp this form please':D

Theres a sizeable number of Guards that will stamp it without reading it...

Be some laugh just to see the guards face

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

MYOB wrote: »

They don't care, they don't have to care. They are only witnessing it. They never query it.

As for the nct, it will be back dated to the closest two year cycle, if you time it right you can get the full two years. If you time it wrong you could get a month lol. And declaring the car off the road is only for tax purposes, not for the nct.

• Advertisement

I will be getting it tested next month(god almighty thats next year)so i hope thats the right cycle
    thanks for the info!

PS. Pheasant thanks for closing the micra thread i was getting bored of it myself,

JackFrosty wrote: »
    I will be getting it tested next month(god almighty thats next year)so i hope thats the right cycle
    thanks for the info!

Ye, if you have the logbook (VLC) it will tell you the exact date of first registration so you can time the NCT accordingly. Basically, up to 3 months before that date and you will get a 2 year (& 3 mth) NCT.

thanks buffman, il check the book tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I imported a car from the UK in 2003 and never NCTed it, as when I called, I was told that "the reg isn't in our system" (it was maintained properly, though, and was probably safer than a lot of cars that had NCTs, but no attention paid to them between NCTs).
    I got a letter this year, saying that my NCT was due (they've worked out that import reg's should be added to the system!), and decided that I might as well do it.

The anniversary of the car's first registration is in June, but the letter arrived in August. The new NCT was awarded in October, but will expire in June 09, as this was the anniversary of the first registration - a bit of a pain, but at least it's legit now. To confirm though, no questions were asked about where the car had been between '03 and now.

PS: To prove that it was safe enough with no NCT, it passed first time with no extra preparational work (other than a quick wash and tyre-pressure check), and the tester commented that it was in great condition for the year/mileage (1993/180k miles).

JackFrosty wrote: »
    thanks buffman, il check the book tomorrow

Ye, no bother, hope it passes for ya.
    Type 17 wrote: »

PS: To prove that it was safe enough with no NCT, it passed first time with no extra preparational work (other than a quick wash and tyre-pressure check), and the tester commented that it was in great condition for the year/mileage (1993/180k miles).

Sounds good, you imported a nice one there. Feck all VRT for a 93 too I'd say. They say you're supposed to bring it to an NCT centre when you get your Irish reg and have it input onto their system, then apply for the test the normal way, then return to centre for the test.... Not long winded or anything!

You probably only got the leter when they compared the motor tax database to the NCT one and saw a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sounds good, you imported a nice one there. Feck all VRT for a 93 too I'd say.

€400 on a 10-year old Audi 80.
    They say you're supposed to bring it to an NCT centre when you get your Irish reg and have it input onto their system, then apply for the test the normal way, then return to centre for the test.... Not long winded or anything!

That's why I never bothered... also, there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the NCT in the early years - leaked letters from NCTS to test centres about not failing enough cars, etc. Seems to be a bit fairer these days.
    You probably only got the letter when they compared the motor tax database to the NCT one and saw a difference.

Yeah, a few other people I know got letters for their imported cars around the same time - took them long enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

€400 on a 10-year old Audi 80.

That's why I never bothered... also, there was a lot of dissatisfaction with the NCT in the early years - leaked letters from NCTS to test centres about not failing enough cars, etc. Seems to be a bit fairer these days.

Yeah, a few other people I know got letters for their imported cars around the same time - took them long enough!

Not really,they just dont leak the letters anymore thats all icon14.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

MYOB wrote: »

I needed my form stamped as was away for two months during summer so went along to Bridewell and the Guard there made a gangster movie of it.

Said he wanted to check the system to see if my car had been clocked out and about. An hour later he comes back out to me and said the system was down and couldn't do it! I wanted to smack him round .. I mean what was he doin all that time?

Anyway, told me to come back at 9pm and different guard on then who just signed and stamped it without stopping a conversation he was having with another guard.

Had to produce license and incurance on Kevin St few months back also and they kept me waiting an hour and half. Said something about scanning documents on to the system so all stations could have access to it.

Nico

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I imported a car from the UK in 2003 and never NCTed it, as when I called, I was told that "the reg isn't in our system" (

Didn't really want to get into this here but that also happened me and worse.

I was after a B5 Audi A4 Auto 115bhp for ages and when at an Audi Owners Club meeting in the UK back in Feb this year I seen 2000 one for sale and fell in love.

FASH, very well looked after etc etc and an Auto 115Bhp TDi like I wanted so I bought it - cost me a mint but was just what I wanted as I don't like the B6 at all.

Anyway, I paid the VRT but never heard from the NCT so I phoned them and they said I wasn't on the system and kept transferring me to Shannon head office who would then just blame the test centre etc etc.

So one day I head out to the cinema, stopped at the end of the road and two guards walking by and the Ban Gardai just montioned to roll down the window and said 'I'm taking the car off you, get out!' -- I said 'What's wrong Guard' and she just said 'You have no NCT, get out I'm taking the car'.

She just jumped in off they went. Cost me a bundle to get it back and only a Guard felt sorry for me down in Kilmainham it would still be there as I am still waiting for them to sort me out on the system.

There was one guy down in Kilmainham crying as they had taken his Van (he ran a business doing something or other) and they kept his Van till he passed his NCT.

How you might ask. Well as I was sitting there with him there was a recovery truck lifting his van up to take it to Fonthill as that was his test day. His Van had been there weeks waiting for his NCT test to come up and whatever Guard was dealing with it wouldn't let the Van on the road so he had to hire the recovery truck.

He told me that with all the fees for storage of the Van in Killmainham and the Recovery Truck - he was out 3000e!

Nico

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nico22 wrote: »
    Anyway, I paid the VRT but never heard from the NCT so I phoned them and they said I wasn't on the system and kept transferring me to Shannon head office who would then just blame the test centre etc etc.

This sounds... eeriely familiar. In the end, I sent a bitchfest of an email to Transport, who blamed the NCTS but all of a sudden they were able to book me in == Transport fixed my cars record on the NVDF and claimed it was never broken.

My car however was "native Irish", not an import!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

Nico22 wrote: »
    She just jumped in off they went.

As far as I know, they can take your car but you're under no obligation to give them the keys. You should have made them tow it, although then you'd be charged for that too I guess...

Advertisement