Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is not longer the land of one hundred thousands welcomes..?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

well first of all Merry Christmas! (:
    lol now..
    need to write an english essay for school tomorrow..
    on either 1 of the following..
    1. using mobile phones is a great way to make friends..
    or
    2. Ireland is not longer the land of one hundred thousands welcomes..
    so i chose number 2 only because 1 is a bit boring..
    but now need to include the following..
    - begin with an opening statement
    - present your evidence (facts, statistics, personal experience and so on)
    - explore the alternative point briefly (what ever that means?)
    - logical conclusion
    * include persuasive language techniques
    - rhetorical q's
    - contrast
    - the use of "i"
    - repetition
    ahhh help please!??
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, firstly, do you agree? You can argue either way so long as you can present your case well...

I'd agree with the statement (lord I wrote enough Irish essays about this). Why? Well, Irish people are increasingly racist. We have a lot of immigrant workers and we're hardly welcoming... people give out about Romanians for stealing, people give out about Polish people for not speaking English fluently, etc. There's also been attacks on foreigners, though if that was nationality-driven or not is up to speculation.

You could also say how Irish people have becoming increasingly selfish and concerned with their own wealth. We are less likely to open our homes to people we don't know as well for fear of theft or whatever. We don't talk to strangers on the streets, we're more suspicious and "anonymous". You could blame this on the Celtic Tiger and our newly found wealth etc. You could hark back to the "good old days" of how everyone knew everyone else and would help each other out no bother, and then say how nowadays we don't even speak to our neighbours etc. We're no longer the "friendly chatty" nation we used to be.

And so on and so forth. The important thing is to write things you believe, or else it'll be hard to make it sound convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

Amyy wrote: »
    well first of all Merry Christmas! (:
    lol now..
    need to write an english essay for school tomorrow..
    on either 1 of the following..
    1. using mobile phones is a great way to make friends..
    or
    2. Ireland is not longer the land of one hundred thousands welcomes..
    so i chose number 2 only because 1 is a bit boring..
    but now need to include the following..
    - begin with an opening statement
    - present your evidence (facts, statistics, personal experience and so on)
    - explore the alternative point briefly (what ever that means?)
    - logical conclusion
    * include persuasive language techniques
    - rhetorical q's
    - contrast
    - the use of "i"
    - repetition
    ahhh help please!??
    thanks!
    The first one sounds easier to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Amyy

barneyeile wrote: »
    The first one sounds easier to do!

thanks i agree..
    but theirs not much to write about "making friends through mobile phones"?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

For help with the second one, take a visit to After Hours for some controversial Irish opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

Well, firstly, do you agree? You can argue either way so long as you can present your case well...

I'd agree with the statement (lord I wrote enough Irish essays about this). Why? Well, Irish people are increasingly racist. We have a lot of immigrant workers and we're hardly welcoming... people give out about Romanians for stealing, people give out about Polish people for not speaking English fluently, etc. There's also been attacks on foreigners, though if that was nationality-driven or not is up to speculation.

You could also say how Irish people have becoming increasingly selfish and concerned with their own wealth. We are less likely to open our homes to people we don't know as well for fear of theft or whatever. We don't talk to strangers on the streets, we're more suspicious and "anonymous". You could blame this on the Celtic Tiger and our newly found wealth etc. You could hark back to the "good old days" of how everyone knew everyone else and would help each other out no bother, and then say how nowadays we don't even speak to our neighbours etc. We're no longer the "friendly chatty" nation we used to be.

And so on and so forth. The important thing is to write things you believe, or else it'll be hard to make it sound convincing.
    Are you a Communist or something in saying that because we have become more wealthy over the years that means we are more selfish! What utter tripe! There were a lot of selfish people around when we were broke what with the off-shore bank accounts etc... Irish people today are just as charitable as ever and the good old days were a myth! Anyway with the downturn in the economy you will probably welcome it with open arms so we can all become friendly and welcoming again. Your description of Ireland in the past is like something out of a American film of Ireland from the fifties or sixties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Are you a Communist or something in saying that because we have become more wealthy over the years that means we are more selfish! What utter tripe! There were a lot of selfish people around when we were broke what with the off-shore bank accounts etc... Irish people today are just as charitable as ever and the good old days were a myth! Anyway with the downturn in the economy you will probably welcome it with open arms so we can all become friendly and welcoming again. Your description of Ireland in the past is like something out of a American film of Ireland from the fifties or sixties.

Now I shant speak on her behalf and say she isnt a communist as frankly who knows *shrugs* (Also what is so wrong with someone being a communist?)

Anyway........Were you alive during the 50's and 60's? (Just out of curiosity)

And people are exceptionally selfish today, we see this as we dont wear rose coloured glasses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I said "you could blame". Let's analyse this for a moment before we get too excited. Conditional tense. Not necessarily true. Possible correlation, who knows? I was mostly speculating.

Would you say Ireland is still the land of 100,000 welcomes, considering you are clearly familiar with the Ireland of generations gone by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

op dont go ****in near After hours, full of tree hugging pc clowns who would make it out like its a sin to be from ireland be be proud to be from here.

i honestly hate most of them with all my life

Advertisement