Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C if you please

Options
  • 15-12-2008 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Ok, so here's my first shot that I've been happy enough with to post. Could have gone several different ways from the original but this is how it turned out.

I'm quite new to all this but don't let that hold you back. Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated!!

3110641275_3ba114f266.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

If it was me I would either clone out the couple or the person at the door. I would also raise the shadows until you could just make out the slightest outline of the rows of seats and brickwork. (apologies for poor cloning)

3110876149_dd8cda07b2_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I actually like what you have gone for here... As for cloning out I wouldnt bother.. It gives the photo a sense of scale..

Good work, keep posting..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I like what you have done here. Nicely composed & really suits the mono.

Maybe (& only maybe) pulling back the highlights in the top window to show some more of the detail in the glass could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

CabanSail wrote: »
    Maybe (& only maybe) pulling back the highlights in the top window to show some more of the detail in the glass could be interesting.

I agree. Wouldn't dream of cloning out the people though - makes the photo for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I like it, maybe a little harsh in terms of contrast but thats a personal choice.

I like an image that makes me use my imagination, and the people in this are doing that for me, i wouldnt clone out any of them.

Its quite nice to see an image taken at a busy tourist spot or area with a lot of people, but for the people in the frame not to take away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

lukeod wrote: »
    I agree. Wouldn't dream of cloning out the people though - makes the photo for me...

me three - you have to leave in the couple holding hands, they're the subject, the rest is just gorgeous backdrop!

Great photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

Many thanks for all the comments - it's great to get some honest feedback.
    CabanSail wrote: »

This was one the things I agonised over but in the end lack of knowledge prevailed. Alas, my editing skills are mostly limited to applying effects to the entire image so I had to find balance that kinda suited the whole image.
    Eirebar wrote:
    Its quite nice to see an image taken at a busy tourist spot or area with a lot of people, but for the people in the frame not to take away from it.
    I never really considered removing the people from the shot (in fact I have a similar shot of just the church) but I can see why people might want to - I know I've certainly waited and waited for unwanted passerbys to move out of the frame of a 'perfect' shot only for the moment to pass with the loss of the shot!

It's really great to hear other people's ideas on how to process an image.

Just an idea - wouldn't it be interesting to let boardsies loose on a single raw image and then compare and contrast the final outputs that they create??

Thanks again for all the feedback!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think you've captured the gentle dynamic of the couple's movement with the austerity of the surrounds beautifully.

Whenever I look at this photo that song 'Rene and Georgia Magritte(with their dog after the war)' goes through my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm gonna got a tad extreme here with my comment. This photo, as it is, is possible one of the most appealing shots (to me) ever posted on here. There is something very Hitchcock about it amoungst other things. With out the person at the door it would just be a great picture of a couple but the extra figure makes more of a story of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭BeautifulLoser

humberklog wrote: »
    I think you've captured the gentle dynamic of the couple's movement with the austerity of the surrounds beautifully.

Whenever I look at this photo that song 'Rene and Georgia Magritte(with their dog after the war)' goes through my mind.

Song didn't ring a bell, and was even more confused when I found it it was Paul Simon as I thought I should have known it. Once I heard it I realised I'd heard it many times before and can see where you're coming from. Song's stuck in my head now :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement