Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me if this is a good idea or not

Options
  • 15-12-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

I have always been a compact user and am now thinking of moving up to a SLR.
    I am thinking of getting a Canon Digital SLR Camera Kit - EOS 450D with EF-S 18-55 IS Lens from 7dayshop for £423 sterling (here: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=103551)

I assume that the included lens gives a zoom of about 3, so I will need another lens to get me closer, and am thinking of a TAMRON Aspherical [IF] MACRO AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Lens which is €204 from pixmania (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/532962/art/tamron/aspherical-if-macro-af-18.html)

Are these good options or is there something else I should consider? Is image stabilisation built into the camera or does it come with the lens? Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I've on experience with the canon stuff, but I've had experience with the tammy 18-200. My da had one on his nikon two years ago but sold it a couple of months back. Its an alrite superzoom lens but suffers lots of distortion at pretty much all focal lenghts plus it needs to be steped down to f11 to sharp I personally think. It suffers from lens creep too.......... Also the I prefer the solid feel of the old minolta zooms and the nikkor lenses, tammy feels sorta tacky to me. Get a decent canon 50-200 or a 70 300, theres plenty of canon people here to point you in the right direction on lenses.

I've had no experience with the canon stuff, but I've had experience with the tammy 18-200. My da had one on his nikon two years ago but sold it a couple of months back. Its an alrite superzoom lens but suffers lots of distortion at most focal lenghts plus it needs to be steped down to f11 to sharp I personally think. It suffers from lens creep too.......... Also the I prefer the solid feel of the old minolta zooms and the nikkor lenses, tammy feels sorta tacky to me. Get a decent canon 50-200 or a 70 300, theres plenty of canon people here to point you in the right direction on lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Hi Brian!
    Can't wait until you get a SLR! Your photographs are so so original and will really push you up another notch once you get a SLR!!
    I owned the 450D before and it is one excellent little camera, most of my pics on pixie are sourced from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭leche solara

looking forward to joining the SLR world. Any recommendations on decent zoom lens that doesnt cost a fortune. This is a whole new world with its own language. think i'll forget the tamron in light of the crap review by landyman.

Can't really comment on budget lenses, Mine are L. :p
    You'll get a few people in pretty soon though with pointers...
    Whats your budget, if you could somehow get the 70-200L thats a mighty fine start...Kerso from Scotland is also prob the best priced.

• Advertisement

Can't really comment on budget lenses, Mine are L. :p
    You'll get a few people in pretty soon though with pointers...
    Whats your budget, if you could somehow get the 70-200L thats a mighty fine start...Kerso from Scotland is also prob the best priced.

Not particularly looking for budget lens, just don't want to pay over the odds. Don't know what L means. I can spend up to €500 on lens but want plenty of zoom and image stabilisation. Do extenders double the zoom and are they any good. I really have no idea about this whole SLR world.

Extenders work with certain lenses and the 70-200L f/4 I mentioned it works with too...the IS is dearer again but I'd only buy it if it had IS tbh...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-70-200MM-F4-IS-LENS-IN-SCOTLAND_W0QQitemZ200286488128QQihZ010QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-CANON-1-4X-EXTENDER-IN-SCOTLAND_W0QQitemZ140288031447QQihZ004QQcategoryZ30070QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
    Extender

1.4 extender I recommend btw not the 2x

Also if you deal away from e-bay he knocks of another 1.5% I think....

Janer,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Is the 70-200 about the same as a 3X zoom. I have been looking at Kerso on ebay and see an 18-200 and wonder if its any good.. Its certainly much cheaper, but I havent a clue

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-CANON-18-200MM-IS-LENS-HOYA-UV-IN-SCOTLAND_W0QQitemZ200286488162QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_CameraLensesFilters_JN?hash=item200286488162&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I think the 24-105L is classed around a 4x zoom so the 200 would be close to 8?
    Not an expert here.....
    I do know though that the image quality is far far superior on the 70-200 than on the 18-200 which is generally aimed at beginners.

The 18-200 is more discreet and smaller, the 70-200L is white! Donno if you'd be a conservative type...I find white sexy tbh.

looking forward to joining the SLR world. Any recommendations on decent zoom lens that doesnt cost a fortune. This is a whole new world with its own language. think i'll forget the tamron in light of the crap review by landyman.

Would you consider second hand lens - when I started off I bought a minolta 75 300 f4-5.6 (out of a matter of interest its still one of my favourite lenses). I only paid 150 euro or pound at the time which was at least 150 to 200 cheaper than the new version!! Teleconverters may double the zoom but half the light, so there only useful in good light as far as I understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've never heard anyone referring to #x zoom and DSLR's... it's more of a compact thing. You just get used to lens measurements :D

landyman wrote: »
    Teleconverters may double the zoom but half the light, so there only useful in good light as far as I understand.
    Yes, you lose a full stop with the 1.4 and a full 2 stops with the 2x and the 2x is also weakens the IQ.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Why not get the 450D & EF-S 18-55 IS Lens, add some Memory, spare battery, UV & CPL Filters. That will give you a lot to learn for a start. When you get your head around the change to DSLR & get comfortable with the whole concept of looking through a viewfinder etc. then look at more glass & a million other goodies.

I've never heard anyone referring to #x zoom and DSLR's... it's more of a compact thing. You just get used to lens measurements :D

In my first post you will see that I am coming from compacts to SLRs and I've already said its a whole new world, and language, it seems.
    CabanSail wrote:
    Why not get the 450D & EF-S 18-55 IS Lens, add some Memory, spare battery, UV & CPL Filters. That will give you a lot to learn for a start. When you get your head around the change to DSLR & get comfortable with the whole concept of looking through a viewfinder etc. then look at more glass & a million other goodies.

That mightnt be a bad idea. What type of filters should I look for?

In my first post you will see that I am coming from compacts to SLRs and I've already said its a whole new world, and language, it seems.

That mightnt be a bad idea. What type of filters should I look for?

Look for a uv filter they basically protect the element and reduce haze - make sure its multicoated cos they let more light through......

Advertisement