Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first night shots of Dundalk

Options
  • 15-12-2008 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Picture21250.jpgIMG%5D
    IMG%5D
    IMG%5DPicture21286.jpg
    IMG%5D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dundalkeye

Picture21300.jpg

Picture21280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

3rd shot is Perfect for this season, l like it...:)

1st & 2nd need a little straighting & cropping, maybe crop all the black in No. two, and you'll bring out the shoreline.

Again in the last shot l would crop & just show off the houses & the catedral on the right side, with some sky.

If you go with this let us see the results Dundalkeye.

Good Luck. :D

PS. What Cam are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

The first one reminds me of that picture where the naked guy took a picture of his kettle and you can see his reflection. Neither are worthy of a second look.
    The one with the church has potential, but the big black tree at the front ruins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

First one is an interesting idea.

The 3rd one is good but maybe colour correct it... yellow looks unhealthy !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Good work!

Love the Cathedral shot!

Agree with previous, yellow is a bit unhealthy!

I assume this is a white balance issue, should be easily sorted in software in about 2 seconds with the original raw files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Yeah I think you need to set your white balance accordingly in your camera or shoot RAW and PP later on the computer. This would help to get rid of the yellow.

thanks for the feedback guysi only started photography 6 weeks ago i got a kodak EASYSHARE Z8612 IS Digital Camera

Picture21300-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

personally i think the first attempt is better than the edit but imo it really isn't what others think of your photos unless your shooting weddings or models! Personally i shoot photos for the hell of it and post what I like. have to agree with most people.. The last 2 are great shots. Well done Dundalkeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Yes l do like the silvery look now, Very nice keep up the good work....:D

'Merry Christmas'

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I think there is a white balance issue and while your colour correction is an improvement I think there could still be room for improvement beyond desaturation/silvering.

Furthermore, I understand that it can be difficult to level your camera at night but if you're going to post process your images you really should correct the misalignment of the images (unless, of course, it is a creative choice), e.g.: your processed image of the church across the river is noticeably tilted to the right. This may sound trivial, but it can be jarring to the viewer and there really is no reason not to correct it as failing to do so does a disservice to your work.

I haven't had much experience with the technique myself, but if you are shooting the church or similar scenes again, your work might benefit from the use of HDR, especially if you're going to post process your images anyway.

Advertisement