Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying A TV In The North

Options
  • 15-12-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Now that sterling is at an all time low and the vat rate is way cheaper in the North my question is do UK TV sets work in Ireland or what is the difference in them, was thinking of buying a new TV but if it wont work here its pointless.

Anyone here ever get one from the North.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

You would be better off to post in Consumer Issues this is for talking about I am a celebrity and X Factor.

For what it is worth a TV from the north will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You would be better off to post in Consumer Issues this is for talking about I am a celebrity and X Factor.

For what it is worth a TV from the north will work fine.

Thanks mountainyman I just done it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

A TV bought in the North will indeed work in the Republic. But beware on two fronts:

1) TVs bought in the UK often do not have VHF tuners. This will cause you problems if you plan on using analogue cable, as most Chorus NTL regions (and NTL ones in particular) broadcast their analogue channels in the VHF band. Also, you might be unable to pick up RTÉ1 and RTÉ2 on analogue terrestrial in certain areas where they're broadcast in VHF (should not be a problem for TV3/TG4, but see http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/television-frequencies.pdf for details).

You can however, circumvent this problem by using the tuner in an Irish VCR. Or go digital, which brings me to:

2) TVs bought in UK will now often have DTT tuners (Freeview). Beware that many of these tuners will be MPEG-2 only, and incompatabile with the MPEG-4 system planned for Irish DTT.

In short, if you are planning on using your TV only for digital cable or satellite, or as a monitor for your PS3/Xbox360, you should have no problem. Otherwise you need to do your homework.

Advertisement