Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nothing good on TV anymore, Any suggestions

Options
  • 15-12-2008 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I watched the last episode of The Shield recently, I realised afterwards that there is nothing good on TV anymore? I dont do reality TV and Im not into Eastenders or those type of Soap Opera's.

I've watched all of The Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield. I tried to get into Dexter and Brotherhood but they didnt stick. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Dexter didn't stick? Wow, love that show.

Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, Deadwood, Entourage, Californication, How I Met your Mother, The Office (US), Breaking Bad, it's always Sunny in Philadelphia.

All of those are well worth a watch, in my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

You should get your hands on The West Wing if you haven't watched it, myself and my boyfriend never watched it on TV and got the box set and watched the whole thing straight though - brilliant show

And there's always Lost and Heroes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

In no particular order

Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Weeds
    Band Of Brothers
    Homicide Life On The Street
    Six Feet Under
    Firefly
    Deadwood
    OZ
    True Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

24 in January

Jack Bauer power hour

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bren1609 wrote: »
    I watched the last episode of The Shield recently, I realised afterwards that there is nothing good on TV anymore? I dont do reality TV and Im not into Eastenders or those type of Soap Opera's.

I've watched all of The Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield. I tried to get into Dexter and Brotherhood but they didnt stick. Any suggestions?

Have to agree, nothing really worth watching at the minute. Much of the shows mention here you will have to get on DVD.

Dexter I have to agree, very overrated IMO. The novelity wears off very quickly and his Sister is annoying as hell.

Battlestar Galactica I don't think sky are currently repeating it, sometimes on Sky Two. Has the new series started?

Arrested Development and it's always Sunny in Philadelphia very funny AD is only available on DVD and I haven't seen IASIP in a while, C6 haven't shown the new series yet.

Deadwood and The Office (US) never got into them.

How I Met your Mother, I would have thought it was a fairly standard US sitcom, surprised BBC picked it up TBH. Watchable.

Entourage and Californication = Sex and The City / Lipstick Jungle for men.

You probable best catching up with DVD boxsets ExtraVision has most of these for rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭barneyeile

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Channel 6 I believe! A bit of nonsense but good nonsense.smile.gif

barneyeile wrote: »
    Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Channel 6 I believe! A bit of nonsense but good nonsense.smile.gif

It was a pity that they tried to recreate some of the scenes from T2. The actress who plays Sarah Connor really isn't up to the role, bring back Linda Hamliton.
    But yes a bit of good nonsense alright.

Elmo wrote: »
    It was a pity that they tried to recreate some of the scenes from T2. The actress who plays Sarah Connor really isn't up to the role, bring back Linda Hamliton.
    But yes a bit of good nonsense alright.
    Linda Hamilton might be a little bit old for the part at this stage! biggrin.gif I think if she was in the role now she would need a hip replacement!

Linda Hamilton might be a little bit old for the part at this stage! biggrin.gif I think if she was in the role now she would need a hip replacement!

You could account for this by sending old Linda Hamilton back to 1998 just before Sarah Connor dies of cancer in 2004 and then send her to 2008 with her son. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you liked 'The Wire', then I'd suggest you check out the mini-series 'The Corner', which covers a number of Baltimore drug addicts and also 'Generation Kill', following a company of marines in Iraq. Both were penned by Ed Burns and David Simon who wrote 'The Wire'. Similarly, check out 'Homicide: Life on the Street' (based on David Simon's book) which is a superb cop series that - whilst more formulaic than 'The Wire' - still has a great gritty feel to it and some real interesting characters.

If you want more calibre gems then there's 'The West Wing'.

Of recent series, I'd check out: '30 Rock', 'True Blood', 'Chuck', and 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles'. They're not in the same league as 'The Shield' or 'The Wire' but they're still highly-enjoyable fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Of things currently on the air Dexter and Brotherhood are both very entertaining and well made shows.

I watch House when it's on, nothing to write home about but good fun when there's nothing else on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

All 7 seasons of the west wing seem to be in the shops at some ridiculously cheap price compared to what i paid a few years ago. well worth buying.

seasons 1-4 of battlestar galactica also out now,brilliant show,even if you aren't into sci-fi that much you will still probably love this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mullen07

loads worth watching, especially on paramount comedy and dave..

also prison breeak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

Gavin and Stacey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yore ma,

oh this isn't after hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

rome series 1 and 2
    if you like deadwood or any of those other HBO shows you should like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Get a hobby
    learn a new skill
    read a book
    listen to music
    go to the pub
    sleep
    spend more time in here saying that everything is sh*te:rolleyes:

or watch the cartoon network? :)

who007 wrote: »
    Gavin and Stacey?
    No way! Go for the IT Crowd on C4 instead, a hell of a lot funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Mythbusters
    Air Crash Investigation
    Seconds From Disaster
    Horizon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

- Definitely +1 for Battlestar Galactica. That and the orignal 24 are probably the only two shows I've ever seen 10 minutes of by chance and thought 'T have to watch this'.
    - Sleeper Cell, if you can find it anywhere. Not really like 24 at all, despite the inevitable comparisons.
    - I've just started watching Dexter this week, loving it so far.
    - Prison Break seasons 1+2, but forget it after that, writing goes to pieces.
    - The West Wing
    - Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles is OK, I'm enjoying it but it's not a classic, and if you're not into it you won't stick with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Mimibear

No way! Go for the IT Crowd on C4 instead, a hell of a lot funnier.

+1 for the IT Crowd, really laugh out loud stuff and it takes a good show to get me laughing out loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I recorded these recently with the intention of watching them over the Christmas holiday.

Devil's Whore (C4)
    Wallender (BBC1)

Has anyone here seen these ? Opinion ?

TarfHead wrote: »
    I recorded these recently with the intention of watching them over the Christmas holiday.

Devil's Whore (C4)
    Wallender (BBC1)

Has anyone here seen these ? Opinion ?

I heard Wallender isn't very good, I am starting to read the Novels.

I wanted to like Dexter :(

Damages was alright bar the last few episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

Stop watching Television

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Friday Night Lights.

Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

if you're looking for gritty then "Deadwood" or "Rome"

for comedy try "Arrested Devleopment" or "Curb your Enthusiasm" or "Peep Show"

i watched the first few episodes of terminator series and didn't think much of it.

first season of "Prison Break" is very good but a bit downhill from then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I just got the complete west wing box set. Never saw it on TV apart from the odd episode. Its quality television!

Arrested Development is a brilliant comedy. Catch up on it before the film comes out next year:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

barnicles wrote: »
    Mythbusters
    Air Crash Investigation
    Seconds From Disaster

Some extremely top quality televisual entertainment in that list :cool:

[nerd]QI, MocktheWeek, How It's Made, The Real Hustle, Top Gear[/nerd]

Advertisement