Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Step up to Nikon D200 ?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Q. Would it be a good idea to step up to a Nikon D200 ? ie. from an Olympus E510. Would there be a dramatic/fairly-dramatic step up in tearms of quality, ISO, usefullness, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

You could step up to an E3 and get to use your existing lenses...
    Apparently you can pick them up online for around €1200 but a D200 would still be cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭nilhg

Q. Would it be a good idea to step up to a Nikon D200 ? ie. from an Olympus E510. Would there be a dramatic/fairly-dramatic step up in tearms of quality, ISO, usefullness, etc.

You'd lose the IS and liveview straight away, rather than jumping from one system to another, especially when you would be going to a discontinued model, I'd be thinking of looking at your lens collection.

The E30 will be along soon, so you could keep that in mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

and the D200 has the worst ISO since the 100 series of and nikon SLR, pretty nasty, every came from D50/D70 whoops its ass. It was alright in its day, nothing spectacular, and as a result is aging rather badly now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭nilhg

Have a look here, its a comparison of the sensor image quality for the D200 and the E520 (they don't have the E510 yet but the sensors are pretty similar) with the D700 thrown in as a comparison.

The comparisons are done directly on the sensor, so you cant draw any inferences about other aspects of a camera system but it should put your mind at ease about whether there would be a dramatic step up if you changed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

nilhg wrote: »

The comparisons are done directly on the sensor, so you cant draw any inferences about other aspects of a camera system but it should put your mind at ease about whether there would be a dramatic step up if you changed.

not a huge step up really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Many thanks, ye all confirmed my suspicions, especially about ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Stick wit the olympus.......... Dont become another generic canikon user!!

landyman wrote: »
    Stick wit the olympus.......... Dont become another generic canikon user!!

<throws rock and ladymans head>
    get back you!!!!

<throws rock and ladymans head>
    get back you!!!!

<picks up a brick of a d3x and throws it back>

<tries to pick up stupild olympus but in cam vr causes him to drop it>

• Advertisement

Haha i dont use an olympus...... I use a sony and thers no performance difference between in camera vr and in lens..........

thats not what yer ma said :D

and thats me done...

thats not what yer ma said :D

and thats me done...

That dont make sence

Advertisement