Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Licensing question

Options
  • 15-12-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭

Here's another one.

I had a learner permit issued around July this year. This was replacing a 2nd year provisional. I got my full license there last month. I now want to drive a motor bike. I know I need to get a A1 permit for use with the bike as my current full license only covers cars and tractors.

Do I need to redo the written test in order to reapply for a another permit considering I no longer have a one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

Hi,

Yes, you do have to do the Theory Test again for a Cat A before getting your Learner's Permit.

One point which I think is important is you should apply for a Cat A Learner Permit (not a Cat A1), if you pass the test for A1 you will have to go back and do it all again for the full Cat A - so go straight to the Cat A. BTW I'm assuming from your comment that you were on your 2nd Provisional that you are over 18 - if your not then you are limited to the Cat A1.

Regards,
    Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Hmm, that's a kick in the Balls. I can't see why I should do the test again when the permit I just lost was, as far as I remember, classed for either A or A1(can't remember).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I think it was back in 06 that the theory test for cat A/A1 split from the cat B test. As i had a provisional for both the A and B catagories with only one theory test.
    However, if you had a permit for a B & A vehicle, i can't see why passing your B test would void your provo/permit for your cat. A license/permit. Perhaps you should get in contact with your motor tax office

Might be worth a shot. I'll do it tomorrow when I can give them some details, like my motoring number.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I assumed that your provisional was just for Cat B, if it also included Cat A then will be no requirement to do another Theory Test. In fact seeing as your Learner Permit was issued last July it would still be valid (assuming it had the Cat A on it!)

• Advertisement

DriveSkill wrote: »
    I assumed that your provisional was just for Cat B, if it also included Cat A then will be no requirement to do another Theory Test. In fact seeing as your Learner Permit was issued last July it would still be valid (assuming it had the Cat A on it!)

Yeah, pity I didn't get it back after handing it in for the application of my full B license. It had the CatA, just not sure which one. When I did the test 4 or 5 years ago it seemed like a good idea to tick pretty much every category.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's sloppy work by the staff at your local MTO.

When you presented your Provisional Licence to obtain your Driving Licence for category B, your Provisional Licence should have been reissued with the motorcycle categories. It's basic standard stuff.

Rang them there. I "apparently" needed to re-apply for my permit while applying for my full license to have my permit sent back to me. That's according to the somewhat annoyed sounding receptionist at Nutgrove. The guys in the main tax office didn't seem to think so, but referred all further query's to Nutgrove. So now I have to go back to nutgrove and reapply for my permit with new pictures and use my new license as proof.

On the plus side, had both the A and A1 as well as pretty much everything else. God bless ticking random box's.

Advertisement