Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lens question

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking to get a new lens, a mid range zoom. i currently have sigma 10-20, canon 50 1.8 and the kit lens the came with the 400D.

I take a lot of pictures indoor in low light so the main criteria is a constant 2.8 aperture, i am struggling with the kit lens. the choices are

canon 24-70 2.8 - this is too expensive at the moment, i can rule this out
    sigma 24-70 2.8 - can afford this but with the crop factor not sure if it would be wide enough, on the plus side if i ever upgrade to FF i can still use this

sigma 18-50 2.8 / canon efs 17-55 2.8: focal length may be better suited to crop sensor but wont go on a FF if i upgrrade in the future.

I am leaning towards the sigma lenses as they are more in my prices range,
    Just wondering what the views are on these lenses?

thanks for your help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Gozo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking to get a new lens, a mid range zoom. i currently have sigma 10-20, canon 50 1.8 and the kit lens the came with the 400D.

I take a lot of pictures indoor in low light so the main criteria is a constant 2.8 aperture, i am struggling with the kit lens. the choices are

canon 24-70 2.8 - this is too expensive at the moment, i can rule this out
    sigma 24-70 2.8 - can afford this but with the crop factor not sure if it would be wide enough, on the plus side if i ever upgrade to FF i can still use this

sigma 18-50 2.8 / canon efs 17-55 2.8: focal length may be better suited to crop sensor but wont go on a FF if i upgrrade in the future.

I am leaning towards the sigma lenses as they are more in my prices range,
    Just wondering what the views are on these lenses?

thanks for your help,
    I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for Nikon & I am happy with it & the price is reasonable. It gets good reviews too. I bought it from HK in ebay & was delivered by UPS
    & got charged custom of about € 60, but it was still a saving of over €200 if I can remember correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

wasper wrote: »
    I have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for Nikon & I am happy with it & the price is reasonable. It gets good reviews too. I bought it from HK in ebay & was delivered by UPS
    & got charged custom of about € 60, but it was still a saving of over €200 if I can remember correctly.
    Also have the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for Canon.

Bought it for the exact same purpose as you mention, OP. I like mine a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gozo

Thanks for the replies,

I'll check that lens out,

Advertisement