Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I become a foster carer...

Options
  • 15-12-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

After a bad experience owning a dog and the constant urge to get a new dog we decided to foster instead. This way we can be 100% sure when we decide on a dog that they are the right dog for our family yet still be able to love and care for dogs in the meantime.

We are really looking forward to our new arrival this evening, Dolly a 4yr old Yorkie who will stay with us over Christmas.

I reckon I will be using this forum for info and advice in the future, hopefully she fits in well though and we can get along nicely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Good luck with her! Fostering is very rewarding - if you can resist the urge to adopt everything that comes through your doors... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

^^ Very true, we fell in love with one of our last fosters and he's staying with us permanantly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Yep Helena, and she's fostering for us too and I have a sneaking suspicion we'll have another failed fosterer on our hands soon :D

kazza23 wrote: »
    Yep Helena, and she's fostering for us too and I have a sneaking suspicion we'll have another failed fosterer on our hands soon :D
    :D I've never been happier to be called a failure. I'm a failed fosterer and It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Send me pics! Dying to see how he's settled in!

• Advertisement

Will do tomorrow, he's settled in very well, ruling the roost since we got him alone. I was worried about him being a bit shy, not a hope. We had 6 visitors this evening, noisy full house. He spent the evening going from one to the other with his "duck" not a bother on him. Has nearly doubled in weight since the parvo too.

Getting on very well with one of my cats, he keeps trying to climb into bed with him (bit too close for comfort for the cat though). The other has given him a smack on the nose so he's avoiding her. :)

Actually, I have a video of him playing with a singing christmas thing I will text to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 *Penbo*

Good luck! i think thats great. Work in an animal rescue so i know how important it is 2 get fostering! Will probably do it myself if i was ever to get my own place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Best of luck OP, I've fostered twice and twice I've held onto the pets (a dog and a cat).

But if you can avoid doing this, then all the better, it mean's there's a constant move of dogs out of the pounds - but I'm a big softie and fell for the two I took out :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

OMG I dont know how we will ever part with this little one though, she just sits on 6yr old daughters lap constantly and potters around after her. She has been in since we got her, a tiny accident last night and one little one while I was out for a while today otherwise kitchen is just as I left it, bin hasnt been touched, she is a complete angel....

We have spoken to our eldest though that if we dont keep her she will need to leave and as we dont want the kids being heartbroken we also dont want the dog being heartbroken so I am trying to get the little one to at least let Dollie just sit beside her rather than on her lap, oh but its so tempting to constantly cuddle her.

7343170541a9643886360l.jpg

Advertisement