Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How difficult is it??

Options
  • 15-12-2008 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just wondering how big a job, if possible at all, it is to change a locking system from just turn of a key to remote central??

There has been a few break ins/robberies of motors around and im thinking of changing to remote central locking and removing the barrels from the doors if its a handy enough number.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car's it on?Some are easier than others but its not the hardest of things to Diy.

I wouldnt be doing it solely as a theft deterrant though,if they want to get into the car they'l just bend the door back or break a window

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Plus if your battery goes, your central locking won't work and you'll have to break a window to get into your own car. Something to bear in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

eireal wrote: »
    What car's it on?Some are easier than others but its not the hardest of things to Diy.

I wouldnt be doing it solely as a theft deterrant though,if they want to get into the car they'l just bend the door back or break a window

Its on a skoda octavia..... i have recently spent a good whack of money gettin the car perfect so i think safety is an issue...... plus i will have to replace the lock at some juncture soon so i thought i might look at remote as an alternative...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Its on a skoda octavia..... i have recently spent a good whack of money gettin the car perfect so i think safety is an issue...... plus i will have to replace the lock at some juncture soon so i thought i might look at remote as an alternative...

Here ya go lad, if you register with this forum, there's a step by step guide with photo's for an octavia,

doesnt look too hard.

http://briskoda.net/technical-guides/octavia-remote-central-locking-guide-photos/89175/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

hi_im_fil wrote: »
    Plus if your battery goes, your central locking won't work and you'll have to break a window to get into your own car. Something to bear in mind

In thru the boot!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I wouldn't atempt it on my car ( maybe someone elses :D)

any quotes i got where always around the 300 mark down here in cork ( 260 in Bandon)

that was to change from old-style key in central locking to remote with all mod cons ( except removal of old keyhole)

I bought my own system off ebay thinking it would reduce the cost but no luck

I Didn't bother with it in the end - I still like the old style central locking

at least I know if some b**tard stole my keys it won't light up like an Xmas tree when they go out to the car park

Advertisement