Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving dogs inside?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what peoples opinions are about leaving dogs in the house.

At home our dogs have the routine of walked for a mile in the morning and left inside from 9-6 and then walked twice again for between 1 and 2 miles. I know they get more than enough exercise.

the reason i ask however, is that a friend of mine have a dog who for the past 6 years has been left outside of their house while they are at work.
    recently some neighbours have been accusing them of neglect(i worked as a veterinary assistant for 5 years, and believe me they were not neglecting her!!) she also gets walked for several miles in the evening.

but they are so ashamed that they won't put her outside and now they are considering getting rid of her! they consider leaving her inside from 8-6 as cruel.

what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

It really depends on the dog. If the dog is happy outdoors and gets plenty of attention, regular exercise, has adequate shelter, isn't displaying any signs of being distressed, then I don't see the harm in it. My dogs are indoor dogs. I'm lucky in that I'm self employed so I'm usually never gone for more than 3 hours at a time.

OP - do your dogs have access to outdoors between 9 and 6 or are they the best housetrained dogs in the world? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

kazza23 wrote: »
    It really depends on the dog. If the dog is happy outdoors and gets plenty of attention, regular exercise, has adequate shelter, isn't displaying any signs of being distressed, then I don't see the harm in it. My dogs are indoor dogs. I'm lucky in that I'm self employed so I'm usually never gone for more than 3 hours at a time.

OP - do your dogs have access to outdoors between 9 and 6 or are they the best housetrained dogs in the world? lol

they didn't used to at all and they were fine, they even used to have to be coaxed out of the warmth in the evening!

but the little one has a heart problem now and her drugs make it her pee a lot so she is attended to by a retired relative during the day. (spoilt rotten!)

i guess maybe its routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I think your friends should feel no shame about leaving their dog outside. If she is is well loved and looked after as your post suggests, and is happy enough in her routine, then why destroy that just because some know-it-all neighbour says something?! Unless she spends the day barking and whining then where's the harm? If she's happy and healthy then leave well alone since its not having any adverse effects on her or her quality of life.

Besides, some dogs simply prefer to be outside and have to be coaxed to come inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

i used too work for the RSPCA in london...

now this is one of the things THAT REALLY BUGS ME since i moved too ireland.. THAT AND DOGS ROAMING THE STREET

DOMESTIC DOGS ARE NOT TOO BE LEFT OUTSIDE
    they are breed FOR A DOMESTIC ENVIROMENT NOT THE OUTSIDE

HOWEVER SHOULD YOU WANT TOO KEEP A DOG OUTSIDE GET A WOLF

even the most harden collies NEED TOO BE INSIDE..

THIS IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND ANYONE WHO CANNOT KEEP A DOG IN THERE HOME SHOULD NOT I REPEAT NOT HAVE A DOG AT ALL

there is no NO place for a domestic dog too be left in a garden
    ITS DISGUSTING

now i know your all going too have something too say, but as i TRAINED
    RSPCA OFFICER IN ENGLAND, THINK YOUR SELVES LUCKY ireland does not take the same view, because my IRRESPONSIBLE BOARDIES..
    YOU WOULD BE SERVING A PRISON STRETCH I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN PEOPLE TOO COURT FOR THE OFFENCE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

There's no need to shout...

• Advertisement

Oh for Pete's sake. Nobody is saying the dog is left out all day and all night. As long as there is adequate shelter for the dog, food and water, toys to play with, and the dog is not showing any signs of distress, and the dog is back in once the owners have returned from work and getting lots of quality time then I don't see the problem.
    Homes are hard enough to find for dogs here at the best of times. If rescues are going to turn down otherwise good homes, because the people are out working 9-5, then the PTS rates are going to skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

now this is one of the things THAT REALLY BUGS ME since i moved too ireland.. THAT AND DOGS ROAMING THE STREET

THIS IS IRRESPONSIBLE AND ANYONE WHO CANNOT KEEP A DOG IN THERE HOME SHOULD NOT I REPEAT NOT HAVE A DOG AT ALL

ITS DISGUSTING

RSPCA OFFICER IN ENGLAND, THINK YOUR SELVES LUCKY ireland does not take the same view, because my IRRESPONSIBLE BOARDIES..
    YOU WOULD BE SERVING A PRISON STRETCH I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN PEOPLE TOO COURT FOR THE OFFENCE

this is very interesting, how do they judge this?

my grandfather had a dog and the dog would be in the fields with him from six am until 1pm at dinner and then out again until 5 or even 11pm in the summer!
    as a more up to date example a friend who works at home leaves her dog in the garden all day.

is this wrong according to the RSPCA. i'm just wondering because obviously they have some veterinary reason for this claim and i'd be interested in hearing that.

any opinion on this matter helps as i just don't know what to advise my friend :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Oh for goodness sake don't be ridiculous.

I too lived in London and had two dogs, I used to work during the day, so they had a kennel outside, and they were left out in my very large garden during the day, and slept inside at night. Hmmmm, I wonder why I wasn't prosecuted???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

because my IRRESPONSIBLE BOARDIES..
    I must say I take offence to this statement, and as a result of the unnecessary shouting (thats the caps in case you didn't know) in your post I have now chosen to ignore the rest of its content.

Guess I'm just immature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Skadi

I think leaving a dog out in the garden all day is not any different from leaving it in the house. My dogs are in the house, but of course they are confined to few rooms.

As long as the dog has food, shelter and water outside, and of course a few things to keep it entertained.

As for poster who says Dogs should be kept inside, this depends on the breed. My dog gets too hot inside the house and will happily sit outside in the drizzle, or playing in the frost and it is hard for me to get her to come back inside again. If I had a more secure garden I would be happy to let her out in the garden all day.
    this is very interesting, how do they judge this?

my grandfather had a dog and the dog would be in the fields with him from six am until 1pm at dinner and then out again until 5 or even 11pm in the summer!
    as a more up to date example a friend who works at home leaves her dog in the garden all day.

is this wrong according to the RSPCA. i'm just wondering because obviously they have some veterinary reason for this claim and i'd be interested in hearing that.

any opinion on this matter helps as i just don't know what to advise my friend :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

ITS DISGUSTING

YOU WOULD BE SERVING A PRISON STRETCH I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE TAKEN PEOPLE TOO COURT FOR THE OFFENCE[/QUOTE

I may be reading this wrong but am amazed at your comment. I cannot understand how you feel dogs should not be left outside !! Do you mean outside the house boundry ie gate or the actual door ?? Can you explain your outside theory further - as a trained professional. I consider myself a caring dog owner. I can understand how you may feel frustrated after working in the environment where cruelty to animals was apparent but i think you may not have gotten your point across well. No intention to offend but a bit confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

/
    This post has been deleted.

im sorry too be so confrontational on this, but it really isnt a good thing for a domesticated dog, granted dogs get used too it, on the surface
    but there not meant too be kept outside.
    i personally, ( this isnt a attack on anyone at all please dont take it the wrong way) i dont see the point of having a dog unless its part of the household/family.

theres a reason dogs are pets, thats because there domesticated,
    ireland being orginally a farming country has a long way too go on this, ( however ireland as a whole could teach the uk amougst others more than a thing or two)

it gets me going because i have in my time as a rspca officer seen such cruelty, and this though a MILD form of it, isnt great..
    i wish everyones dog could talk too them then he/she would tell you,
    as well as a whole lot of other stuff lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I agree that dogs should not be outside all the time, but to say a dog should never be outside at all is like saying a child should not be outside. It's not healthy IMO.

From current personal experience; my pup will not go to the toilet unless I walk up the garden with him. He will sit at my feet for as long as I will stand there until I walk up to the back of the garden. (It's not a huge garden btw)

So yesterday and today I was working at home, I left the back door open so he could go out and explore without me there, in his own time. He was "left" outside with access to the kitchen for about 2.5 hours. (he was supervised but could not see me). Needless to say he came in wet, muddy and tired BUT this evening when I was bringing him out to go he sauntered out, no bother on him. He didn't need me with him.

Being alone inside or outside teaches a dog that he does not always have to be with you, making it easier for him to stay in kennels or have a pet sitter in the house. I would consider myself to be a responsible pet owner, but I think you can over do it and turn a perfectly healthy and robust dog into an overdependant neurotic animal.

Ukgalwaymcguire, this is taken from the DEFRA consultation paper on the Welfare of Dogs, published November 2008, from the UK:

Keeping a dog outside
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]If you keep your dog outside ensure that it is also kept within a secure space to prevent it from escaping or roaming and to stop other animals getting in, unwelcome visitors or even theft. If your dog is kept outside you must still ensure all of its needs are met, including security, adequate comfort, shelter from adverse weather conditions, companionship and interaction and protection from injury.

So, I would be really interested to hear how you managed to prosecute people in the UK and send them to jail for doing something that, contrary to what you posted, is NOT against the law in the UK
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

/
    ireland being orginally a farming country has a long way too go on this,

Yes, we were originally a farming country and many of us grew up with collies and other cattle and sheep dogs. One of the reasons these breeds are good for this purpose is they love the outdoors. In my opinion, keeping an outdoors-loving animal inside all the time, as an indulged and cosseted plaything, is a form of cruelty itself.

We have a beagle, which is a hunting breed, and he loves tearing round the fields. To keep him constantly inside would be against his nature. Yes, he's inside with us a lot of the time but he has a very comfy kennel and run outside, which he is more than happy to go to. If he was a wee terrier, then I would probably do things differently.

It's arrogant to assume what a dog is really thinking and to condemn everyone for not doing what you think is right. At the end of the day it is merely your opinion.

ISDW wrote: »
    Ukgalwaymcguire, this is taken from the DEFRA consultation paper on the Welfare of Dogs, published November 2008, from the UK:

Keeping a dog outside
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]If you keep your dog outside ensure that it is also kept within a secure space to prevent it from escaping or roaming and to stop other animals getting in, unwelcome visitors or even theft. If your dog is kept outside you must still ensure all of its needs are met, including security, adequate comfort, shelter from adverse weather conditions, companionship and interaction and protection from injury. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial,Arial]So, I would be really interested to hear how you managed to prosecute people in the UK and send them to jail for doing something that, contrary to what you posted, is NOT against the law in

DEFRA, arent animal welfare and it is against the law, it impeeds the animals welfare...
    looking up on the net what DEFRA a uk agricultural agency DOES NOT
    make a arguement too a ex rspca officer of 10 years plus, and also a breeder.

sorry some people have taken this so personally, it isnt a personal attack against anyone at all. my professional opinion

deemark wrote: »
    Yes, we were originally a farming country and many of us grew up with collies and other cattle and sheep dogs. One of the reasons these breeds are good for this purpose is they love the outdoors. In my opinion, keeping an outdoors-loving animal inside all the time, as an indulged and cosseted plaything, is a form of cruelty itself.

We have a beagle, which is a hunting breed, and he loves tearing round the fields. To keep him constantly inside would be against his nature. Yes, he's inside with us a lot of the time but he has a very comfy kennel and run outside, which he is more than happy to go to. If he was a wee terrier, then I would probably do things differently.

It's arrogant to assume what a dog is really thinking and to condemn everyone for not doing what you think is right. At the end of the day it is merely your opinion.

outside all the time is not quite the same though is it.....
    your dog comes inside, and i wasnt reffering too not taking them for a walk lol
    i remember when i was a child, on my grandfathers farm in kilkee,
    the dogs were by the fire after work. ( yes im irish though spent years in the uk) they worked all day, and had pride of place by the fire at night.

and arrogant ... i didnt assume what a dog is thinking i said it would be nice too know
    PLEASE read my posts before trying too start a arguement with me.. thank you kindly

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ireland being orginally a farming country has a long way too go on this, ( however ireland as a whole could teach the uk amougst others more than a thing or two)

You are being utterly ridiculous. Most dogs were bred as working dogs and there are dogs where neither they nor their ancestors have ever lived in a house. You are also talking nonsense about UK laws, if you leave your dog outside without adequate shelter you can be prosecuted. But you are well within your rights to house your dog outside if the dog has a warm dry bed, in outbuildings or a kennel.

tell you what... ask the ispca.. the gspca.. who ever
    what there thoughts are on leaving a domestic dog outside ALL the time
    before you start a personal attack on me.. and you a moderator..
    i would of thought diplomacy a watch word there..

i me.. uk galway mcguire dont agree with it... dont attack me on it..
    i didnt get personal with or about anyone so dont do it too me

is it was so ok too do this why is this post here too start with mmmmmm??:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Advertisement

truth hurts.... :p thats why your all taking it so personally lol... what a joke

DEFRA, arent animal welfare and it is against the law, it impeeds the animals welfare...

sorry some people have taken this so personally, it isnt a personal attack against anyone at all. my professional opinion

Do you have a clue what you are talking about? Defra are the government department with responsibility for animal welfare in the UK. They are the ones who wrote the initial draft for the Animal Welfare act. The RSPCA is a charity with limited powers introduced under the act, to enforce certain aspects of the act.

UKGalwayMcGuire - Read the original post. They didn't say that the dog was out 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The dog is outside from 8 til 6 while the people are at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

My dogs have always stayed outside.Once the area is big for them and different activities for them to do. I had a small sand pit so they could bury stuff .Their treats were placed in those large rubber things so it would interest them. The neighbours were encouraged to interact with them over the wall.Somewhere for them to sit off the ground apart from their kennel.

OP, would it be possible for your friends to put in a doggie door so their dogs can have access to indoors and outdoors. If they have shelter it isn't necessary but it might be worth it in order to get the neighbours off their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

tell you what... ask the ispca.. the
    I think you will find that the ISPCA in Ireland is pretty useless. It has been any time I have had the honour of dealing with them.

Many of the very people you have called "my irresponsible boardsies" work tirelessly to help out. Ok so you were RSPCA officer, you were doing a job, and I would imagine it's a very hard one too. But don't put the people you speak to here down, until you know just how hard a lot of them work against animal cruelty in Ireland. They work every bit as hard as you would have and have seen much the same cruelty as you. Without payment. When you get to know people better you will see that really we are talking to some of the hardest working and best known rescues and individuals in Ireland. For you to come on so quickly and brand them as "irresponsible boardsies", is it any wonder people are annoyed?

truth hurts.... :p thats why your all taking it so personally lol... what a joke
    I don't want to argue with you, having a nice conversation about your cats in another thread etc and your heart is very obviously in the right place but really you're not doing yourself any favours. This forum is a great resource to any animal lover. Your agression and sarcasm and a seeming attitude of "if I said it, it's correct" is a bit unnecessary IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

My dog is outside in her kennel/back garden everyday while I work and I don't see that it causes her any distress.
    The minute I am in the door so is she and gets such love and attention that I would never call myself cruel or callous towards her.
    She was a rescue dog and if any rescue got her life then I believe they would be very very happy.

[quote=ukgalwaymcguire;58292474Arial]

sorry some people have taken this so personally, it isnt a personal attack against anyone at all. my professional opinion[/quote]

Well I have to say that the word troller is coming to my mind. I'm sorry, but if you don't know who DEFRA are, and what their legal responsibilities are in the UK, then there is no way that you have ever stood in a court of law and prosecuted someone for animal cruelty.

Its isn't a personal attack? Reread your posts.

Anyway, while its been fun talking with you, back to the OP's original question:

I would rather leave a dog outside with adequate food, water and shelter during the day whilst out at work than inside for a whole working day. A dog flap is a great idea if its possible where your friends live, or alternatively, if they could find a dog walker in their area who could come in and walk the dog once a day, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

possibly the biggest load of tripe i've read on this forum in ages.

ITS DISGUSTING

possibly the biggest load of gick i've read on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

I would consider myself a massive dog love and advocate of animal welfare on every level. It is not my choice for my dog to be outside, in fact she sleeps in her crate in my room BUT that is not everyone's choice and so long as any dog has adequate attention, food, water and they have a warm and dry kennel to sleep in at night I don't see any harm in them being kept as outside dogs.

UK GalwayMCGuire - Have you ever tried getting as you call it a 'hardened' collie to come and stay indoors? :D

Advertisement