Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job as Presenter/Broadcaster. Anyone out there?

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

:)Hi,

Ok so seriously i want to be a television presenter. Ive finished a drama degree but realised what i want is to be in television. I could spiel on about myself for the next 10 mins but i just want to ask if there is anyone out there, who is in the business, who can tell me straight out...

1. which course/s are the best and if they are worth the extortionate rates. Bill keating seemed to be most professional.

2. If you take on people for work experience? ie as a researcher, work my way up etc

3.does sending in showreels "cold" to producers really work?

4. How do you get the really small (sorry i didnt actually mean to add resercher under this category) jobs like tea maker, floorsweeper (im serious!!) they are never advertised, ive looked for six months!

Ps im only interested in replies from those working in the business, or if you have completed one of these "presenter courses"

Thank You:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I've worked in radio - similar story.
    F.A.S.H wrote: »
    which course/s are the best and if they are worth the extortionate rates.
    I'd try and get unpaid work in a station before forking out on a course. Although Ballyfermot has some great courses. That might be your best bet. Paying money for a course doesn't make a difference.
    3.does sending in showreels "cold" to producers really work?
    No harm in it at all. It's just that so many others will be sent in so you need to make yours stand out. And get the right name(s) to send it to.
    How do you get the really small jobs like researcher, tea maker, floorsweeper (im serious!!) they are never advertised, ive looked for six months!
    Researcher "really small"? You must be ****ing joking me!! If it wasn't for researchers there wouldn't be any show.
    Researcher/presenter - these are two different disciplines. Researching can be very hard (especially on TV) so it's a mistake to consider it a route to presenting. No harm going for it though, but seriously, you'd want to look into what researching entails because you clearly have the wrong idea about it. It's a serious job, not a mickey mouse one, and many researchers are journalists (depending on the type of programme).

And the reason these jobs aren't advertised is: there aren't many of them and stations always have a pool of freelancers to cover any holiday work etc, then if a job becomes vacant, it's usually a freelancer who'll get it.
    Plus, the current economic climate.
    A good route into TV is radio, but unfortunately NewsTalk let go about 25 staff recently so freelance opportunities are gonna be limited there. TV3 also let go a lot of people recently.
    Actually, get on to the City Channel for some unpaid work - the more experience the better.

Or go for an internship. MTV offers one, as does Channel 4. It's very limited in this country. Would you be prepared to travel to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

You should decide what you want to do, production or presenting. So many people start out in production and dream of presenting but if your heart isn't in production there isn't much point to it.

If you want to work in production then Ballyfermot would be a good place to start or a university degree in production or journalism. After that it is just a case of applying for anything that comes up. But be warned at the beginning you will most likely have to work for free but any experience is worthwhile. Look out for internships. Also check out Screen Training Ireland as they run the best courses.

And as Dudess said researcher jobs are not really small. In fact they are usually highly coveted and you will most likely have to spend a good while being an intern and/ or production assistant before you become a researcher.

In terms of presenting you have to figure out something that will make you stand out from the crowd. TBH every wannabe presenter does the Bil Keating course and they all blend into one. Try and get involved in community televesion or radio for experience. Oh and if you do a showreel make sure that it is you in the majority of it. Fancy graphics and music is a waste as producers want to see you in front of the camera and what you can do. Likewise interviews are pretty pointless in showreels as the answers take up too much valuable time that you could be impressing the producer with.

For jobs check out www.iftn.ie/jobs or the jobs section of radiowaves.fm. And www.filmmakersnetwork.ie is a good resource.

Oh and some other stuff that just occurred to me. To work in any sort of media you have to be able to form a coherent opinion. So that means watching and listening and reading everything that you can and critically analysing what you like and what you don't. Courses are great but you need to be able figure out what you like and what you don't and more importantly why you feel either way.

Also one of the best ways into presenting is if you come up with a great idea for a show that only you can present. Maybe you have some sort of expertise? Anyway you need to be always thinking of new ideas. If you can come equipped with fresh ideas that will put you ahead of the pack.

Those presenting courses are a money racket.

And don't do journalism because you want to get on TV - you need a genuine interest in journalism, it's not something you do as a route to get somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If you can speak Irish and are hot, move to Connemara and try TG4.

Frada's not wrong. Having Irish is a massive advantage when it comes to securing media work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Learn Irish and be willing to work for nothing.

Dublin City 103.2 look for new ideas all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

has anyone completed this course and if so have they found it usefull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

:)

4. How do you get the really small (sorry i didnt actually mean to add resercher under this category) jobs like tea maker, floorsweeper (im serious!!) they are never advertised, ive looked for six months!
    QUOTE]

You could break into the industry the same way as Ryan Tubridy and get a job making tea on the Gerry Ryan show. But it helps if Gerry Ryan is also your godfather. (so just to clarify, going for the late late gig recently were Gerry Ryan, his godson and the wife of the director of programming). Good luck with that...!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Leave Ireland, even if you do get a job presenting everyone will hate you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

Move to the UK or the states.

If you move to the UK become a script editor - The job is piss easy. Within months you'll be a producer. Then you can do whatever you like.

If you move to the US - Become a member of waiting staff in one of the "In" restaurants. Wait for a big shot to walk in and then offer him / her anything they want.

Ok above a little tongue in cheek, but only a little.

Get a copy of the Writers and Artists yearbook. Get a copy of Contacts [From Spotlight UK] Get your photo into spotlight first. Write to all the production companies you can find - But - and it's an important but - try to find out what programmed they make so check them or their personnel out at IMDB.com or IFTN. there is no use applying to be a presenter if they don't make that kind of programme. A great place to start work is with companies who make training and corporate videos. They are always in need of extra hands.

Check out the media guardian for jobs in the UK - consider posts with advertising companies and PR companies as it is a good in.

Check out the BBC talent page as they are always running different competitions.

Also check out the shooters website http://shootingpeople.org
    for a small fee you can put your details up there and also receive daily emails. A lot of directors use it to source actors cheaply but it will improve your showreel. [I think it's around 30 for the year.]

If you want to stay in Ireland that's fine but their is less work.

Do not be put off by how bad it is out there. It is actually to your advantage as it is the older / more expensive pros that are now undesirable due to cost cutting.

Contact Jon and Ros Hubbard at Hubbard casting to ask if they will see you for a chat. Years ago I moved some furniture for them and they later cast me in a commercial - they are also top notch casting directors.

I hope some of that is useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Before I chuck in my 2c I have a couple of questions for the OP.

Where are you based FASH?

And do you have any specific area you want to get into (eg. sports presenting, political, current events, brats TV)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

ireland is too small and boring for jobs like this, add to the fact we are an english speaking country so we are bombarded with us and british produced stuff more than others. ireland is a very uncreative country, you best off moving somewhere more dynamic. my cousin works in french media :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭2fivers

ianrush wrote: »

You could break into the industry the same way as Ryan Tubridy and get a job making tea on the Gerry Ryan show. But it helps if Gerry Ryan is also your godfather. (so just to clarify, going for the late late gig recently were Gerry Ryan, his godson and the wife of the director of programming). Good luck with that...!

This thread being 6 months old, The post above being what it is, and my "tongue-in-cheek" detection abilities lessened through lack of sleep; I'm wondering if it's really worth pointing out that there's quite a bit of stuff that falls into the category of "not totally correct" in that post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

Is Tubridy Ryans God Son?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

ianrush wrote: »
    :)

QUOTE]

Nearly. Gerry Ryan is actually the godson of Eamonn Andrews, broadcasting legend here and in Britain and former chair of the Radio Eireann authority which oversaw the introduction of tv to Ireland. Miriam O'Callaghan got her first start on tv in the '80s as a researcher on Eamonn Andrews' "This Is Your Life", a ratings topper on British ITV for decades. Don't think Tubridy has any family links to Ryan, other than them all being members of the great big Fianna Fail family. Gives you a nice warm feeling inside.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement