Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a good laptop for editing and the likes..

Options
  • 15-12-2008 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

So im planning a trip to New York for august through until the start september. I want a laptop. :D

I don't really know where to start though with so many laptops around. Ive looked at macbooks and some other laptops but im fairly lost.. I wouldn't have this problem with a desktop though as I built the one im using now with all top of the range stuff last year.. Im out of the loop we will say :)

Just looking for a nice beefy laptop for editing and storing photos while im away.

Obviously this would go great in the laptop forum.. but id rather have your guys views on it.

Thanks

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

okie, one could go down the macbook route...not the worst idea, tho the new screens suck pretty badly, you'll get the apple fanboys on soon enough and the windows fanboys on the otherside. both are great options, you bay quite the premium for a mac, and euro for euro you'll get a better bang for buck with a windows based anyday, macs are macs, but a windows lappy lookout for.

4 gb ram
    duel core....no celeron or singlecore crap
    fast hd... size is a choice, external hds usually way to go
    built in card reader is handy
    check out reviews on the screen, vital for photography
    battery life
    gfx...hummm mixed cookie, up til vista i woulda said whatever, tho vista is aweful power hungry gfx wise so dedicated will take the strain off the ram for ps, so between 256-512 dedicated ram for gfx

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use a Sony Vaio fz11s for most of my work, 2gb of ram and a 160gb hd. Screen is really nice and works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

What is your budget? Mobility an issue? 15.4"/17" screen?

For value/quality you cant really go wrong with Dell.
    Here's a couple laptops worth looking into:

15.4" Screens

€629 Core2Duo T5800/Vista/256MB ATI Radeon 3450/3GB RAM/250GB Hard drive.

€979 Core2Duo T8400/Vista/256MB ATI Radeon 3450/4GB RAM/320GB Hard drive.

17" Screens

€799 Core2Duo T5800/Vista/256MB ATI Radeon 3650/3GB RAM/320GB Hard drive.

Vista is a preference, you either love it or hate it. I have Vista on both my laptop and my desktop and cant fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

unless your going to run 64bit windows, you can only address 3 gig of ram, no point paying for 4gig if you cant use it

the most important thing, is that most laptops screens are pants when compared with a proper monitor

I would suggest getting a external monitor too, so for main editing you onnect to the external screen.

Although HP are releasing one of their high end screens in a 20" laptop, then you have a proper screen i.e. it will calibrate well etc. but this one will be silly money

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

things are going to change a lot in 8 months but the main thing you should be concerned with at the moment is sussing out which manufacturers have the best screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

okie, one could go down the macbook route...not the worst idea, tho the new screens suck pretty badly, you'll get the apple fanboys on soon enough and the windows fanboys on the otherside. both are great options, you bay quite the premium for a mac, and euro for euro you'll get a better bang for buck with a windows based anyday, macs are macs, but a windows lappy lookout for.

Mac's are no longer the 'premium' they once were tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I use a MacBook and find it great for the most part, however, there's something dodgy going on with colour in that it should be 16 million colours, but it isn't - there's banding present on grads which shouldn't be there in theory if it's a true 8 bit per channel system. I don't know whether it's a GPU thing or a screen thing, but I find it moderately annoying. This particular MacBook is an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, about 18 months old, so if you're thinking about a MacBook, you should verify this colour restriction is no longer there.

Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea looking for a 17" if at all possible.. budget.. anything under 1500.. Id rather use xp over vista but I don't mind when it comes down to it.. ill have a look through the dell site, that one you link king for 800 looks nice now and alot cheaper than I expected!

Ill post back up in awhile.. back to work with me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭faithy

I have the Dell XPS M1530

Its great for photo editing and stores so much

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'#d have to suggest a high end Macbook or a MacBook Pro, they just work and feel alot less clunk then windows both regarding the OS and the likes of lightroom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'#d have to suggest a high end Macbook or a MacBook Pro, they just work and feel alot less clunk then windows both regarding the OS and the likes of lightroom

Here we go again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Cabaal wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Your talking €1500+ though if I were to get a high end one. I did up a dell for €1100 with a dual core 2.26GHz 17" 1920X1200 4GB memory and a 250 gig 7200RPM HD which is fairly decent. I could get a 2nd hand macbok for less that €1100 but I don't know if its worth it.. I like having things like that new :pac:

Advertisement