Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memory Card

Options
  • 15-12-2008 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi. I seem to be getting some photojobs lately, and would need a memory card. Were would be the cheapest place to get it, and what type memory card would go best with my canon 50 D?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

shop4memory, memoryc and 7dayshop spring to mind. check the sticky for linkage.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54453007&postcount=1
    Sandisk Extreme III are excellent cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Would you not want one for free ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

San disk extreme are excellent cf cards. I got a 4gb extreme III for 16 euro on 7dayshop recently - cant complain bout that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Isar

I would need a memory card were you can take at least a couple of hundred raw photos... what size would i be looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

I bought a 2 GB flash card for my digital rebel from Viking Direct last year. It was under 40 Euro.

Now I see that there is a new Sandisk Mark III which comes with software that restores erased files.

I have not bought another card yet, as prices are so variable in the shops and the 4 GB is generally between 90 and 100 Euro, which seems a lot.

Perhaps the professionals could help with advice?

2GB is enough for one outing, shooting RAW, if you are not snap happy and take time to set up shots carefully.

You'll get over 200 photos, which is enough for my needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

landyman wrote: »
    San disk extreme are excellent cf cards. I got a 4gb extreme III for 16 euro on 7dayshop recently - cant complain bout that

That is amazing.

Do you have a link, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For a couple of hundred RAW files on a memory card you would need an 8gb card at least for files from the 50d

thanks guys.. I'll put it on my wishing list for x-mas

• Advertisement

will the Sandisk 8 GB Extreme 3 memory card go with my 50 D? Lets say I shoot in RAW, and the largest size, how many photos do you think I could get out of the memory card?

Anouilh wrote: »
    That is amazing.

Do you have a link, please?

On 7dayshop.com : ). It was over a month ago when i got it, it was on special at the time. Even if it wasnt on special now it shouldnt be more that 20 notes

its 53.... but I just wondered how many photos can you take with that amount of GB

Isar wrote: »
    its 53.... but I just wondered how many photos can you take with that amount of GB

53 euro?!? Sure your not looking at the san disk extreme IV?

Sandisk 8 GB Extreme 3 Memory Card + Micromate reader is 53 euro on pixmania.ie inc vat

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

8 gig...

all eggs in one basket a bit maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

buy 3 sandisk 2GB extremeIII's and back up your work frequently to your computer
    loose the 8gb in the field and everything is gone etc

format each card in the camera after you back up the files before using again for best results

I was also thinking about the 16 GB which is 80 euro... but how many photos can you take with a 8 GB if you shoot in the largest raw file?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Isar wrote: »
    I was also thinking about the 16 GB which is 80 euro... but how many photos can you take with a 8 GB if you shoot in the largest raw file?

You can do that yourself
    1)Format memory card
    2)Take one photo on the image settings you need eg Raw + Large Jpeg
    3)Plug card reader into pc,goto my computer and explore card
    4)Select raw and jpeg file,right click go to properties
    Say you get 13mb
    Divide it into 8gb or 8192mb
    Answer is roughly how many photos you can get...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ricky91t wrote: »
    You can do that yourself
    1)Format memory card
    2)Take one photo on the image settings you need eg Raw + Large Jpeg
    3)Plug card reader into pc,goto my computer and explore card
    4)Select raw and jpeg file,right click go to properties
    Say you get 13mb
    Divide it into 8gb or 8192mb
    Answer is roughly how many photos you can get...

Or you could just press the 'info' button on your camera til it shows the size..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Or you could just press the 'info' button on your camera til it shows the size..

But sometimes that has slightly more used up than shown

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ricky91t wrote: »
    But sometimes that has slightly more used up than shown

different photos are different sizes, the cams guess is as good as any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 apsley

I';ve got a 5D and get memory cards from mymemory.co.UK. Sandisk III and the 4gb is great for RAW files. Shipping in a few days and there is 30% off at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

8 gig...

all eggs in one basket a bit maybe?

I use loads of 8GB cards for my cameras, and also 4GB cards too. Never had a single issue. I use Sandisk cards, usually Extreme III or IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There was a time when having your photos on a 1 gig card was having all your eggs in one basket... :)

Then again, there was a time where you couldn't drop your microdrive card in fear of it breaking.

Newer technology = the dogs bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

mymemory have free delivery
    7day shop dont, 7.95 gbp !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You could always go for 32Gb cards or Samsung 64GB cards. :D I think Pretec even have 64GB and also 100GB CF cards.

Advertisement