Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Operators & HSDPA pricing

Options
  • 14-12-2008 11:53pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Could someone answer this question for me please. As per usual I've checked all the relevent websites only to be left more confused.

Currently I use a Three / 3 SIM in my Laptop for the odd time I'm out on the road with my Laptop. I choose Three as at the time, as far as I know, they were the only operator that let me do this on a prepaid SIM - I don't make use of it enough to pay a fixed montly charge.

However, I see now on the o2 and Meteor websites that there is data pricing of up to 99c for up to 50 MB a day...is this for a HSDPA connection using prepaid SIMs, in the scenario I have above, using my Laptop? Or is it just for some kind of 'Mobile Internet'?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Both O2 and Meteors prepay pricing will allow you 50megs for 99c a day with your laptop. While not strictly designed or marketed for that it will work. Pop the SIMs into your existing unlocked modem or use your phone as a modem. This applies to all their APNs but only their ISP ones will work with the laptop.

Vodafone prepay pricing will allow you 19c per megabyte when using their ISP APN.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Thanks Random.

So do these prices from o2 and Meteor allow HSDPA speeds?

I remember when I tried my Vodafone SIM in my laptop I couldn't connect to the hs.vodafone.ie APN, hence only EDGE speeds, which was terrible!

Provided your device is HSDPA capable then you'll get coverage if the network has it in the area.

O2 at the moment have a good spread all over Ireland. Meteor are Cork / Dublin and I think Waterford mainly.

O2 and Meteor both have a pretty good EDGE network at the moment too if there's no HSDPA in the area.

You generally have to request that whatever network activate the ISP APN on your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

Could someone answer this question for me please. As per usual I've checked all the relevent websites only to be left more confused.

Currently I use a Three / 3 SIM in my Laptop for the odd time I'm out on the road with my Laptop. I choose Three as at the time, as far as I know, they were the only operator that let me do this on a prepaid SIM - I don't make use of it enough to pay a fixed montly charge.

However, I see now on the o2 and Meteor websites that there is data pricing of up to 99c for up to 50 MB a day...is this for a HSDPA connection using prepaid SIMs, in the scenario I have above, using my Laptop? Or is it just for some kind of 'Mobile Internet'?

Thanks

From reading the 02 forums the 50mb was designed for the prepaid iphone which is 3g. So if you connect to it you shouldnt really have a problem but if you go over 50mb they will charge you 0.5c per kb . So be carefull

From reading the 02 forums the 50mb was designed for the prepaid iphone which is 3g. So if you connect to it you shouldnt really have a problem but if you go over 50mb they will charge you 0.5c per kb . So be carefull
    The new rate is 2c per KB rather than 0.5c SamandFrank. It's (O2) the same price as Meteor now.

Both will charge you if you go over the 50meg but as it's prepay you have less to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Yeh I had noticed that alright. It really is very expensive "out-of-bundle" at over €20 per MB. That's crazy. Especially when the likes of 3 have the same for 49c.

Presumably the idea is to limit bandwidth use on the network but it's very open to honest mistakes. Like it'd be very easy for someone to download an extra MP3 above their limit and bam!...there goes €80. That's one expensive song.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

Random wrote: »
    The new rate is 2c per KB rather than 0.5c SamandFrank. It's (O2) the same price as Meteor now.

Both will charge you if you go over the 50meg but as it's prepay you have less to worry about.

Wow thats much worse thanks random thats good to know. Oh wait still says 0.5c on the website. Probably havent updated it or something

Wow thats much worse thanks random thats good to know. Oh wait still says 0.5c on the website. Probably havent updated it or something
    It's still 0.5c/KB overage charge at the moment but this is changing in a couple of days so I just quoted the new one.
    Source: http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/About%20O2/Terms+and+conditions/Customer+Notification
    Customer Notification
    Prepay Mobile Internet Changes effective from December 21st 2008.

We wish to advise O2 customers that the following amendments to Speak easy prepay data pricing will come into effect from December 21st 2008. From this date prepay customers accessing O2 Internet on their mobile will pay 2c per Kb until they reach the 99c daily rate.

The daily rate of 99c for up to 50 Mb of daily usage will not change. Data usage in excess of 50Mb will be charged at 2c per Kb. These charges apply when accessing all Mobile Internet pages including the O2 Mobile Internet homepage. All prices quoted include VAT.

Advertisement