Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does turning off a channel during the ads do anything ?

Options
  • 14-12-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Does it affect their ratings at all ?
    Does anyone else do this ? I often channel surf when something goes to ads.

Are there specific rules with regards ad breaks that broadcasters have to adhere to ? *i.e. how many and for how long and how often ?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_Ratings

Unless you are apart of the above system then no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I don't have one of those ratings boxes so me turning off at the ads will have no effect. There are regulations as to how many minutes of ads can be shown on average per hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

RTE post their top10 weekly ratings on Aertel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I always mute the TV during ads. It makes me feel better.

I started doing it because I was sure the ads were louder but I never got to the bottom of whether they actually were or not.

The ads would have a raise in volume. It's to grab your attention. Ads in cinemas are very loud also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have a HDD recorder, kind of like TiVo. I record everything but start watching it before the end and fast forward all the ads. Like if The Royal is on between 8-9pm on UTV I'd start watching it from the beginning at 8.20 but because I fast forward opening sequence and all commercials I'm still finished it by 9 when it's ending on the TV. I couldn't bring myself to watch live telly, not being able to fast forward or still things when I leave the room would drive me crazy.
    I expect the ratings people expect channel surfing during the break but it could be dangerous- you could find something that looks better and NOT go back to the programme you were watching, shock horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Are there specific rules with regards ad breaks that broadcasters have to adhere to ? *i.e. how many and for how long and how often ?

it turns the light on in your fridge.

No it doesn't. Only opening the door does that. There's been scientific tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

nevey wrote: »

I started doing it because I was sure the ads were louder but I never got to the bottom of whether they actually were or not.

The volume itself is the same as they are not allowed to change it
    so they change the frequency to make it sound louder:eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They do a 15min rating often press releases will mention the Highest viewing figure. For example often Football matches will get the best audiences towards the end, so the press release will take special care in mention this fact, sometimes forgetting to mention the average viewership, which is what the top 10 does. I assume that TV channels know how many people switch channel or turn off the telly during the ads. The first and last ads are always more expensive. And notice how sponsors are usually after the TV channels logo.

Ther are specific rules with regards to ad breaks that broadcasters have to adhere to. The BCI have their own rules coupled with the EU's TVWF (Television without frounteirs) Directive.

http://www.bci.ie/codes/gen_advertising_code.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

elshambo wrote: »

Thanks I have always wondered what the craic was with the volume raising during ad breaks. It is a pain in the ***, it always seems to go really loud when you need it to be quiet and then when you turn it down the ads finish and things are now too quiet...:eek:

owlwink wrote: »
    Thanks I have always wondered what the craic was with the volume raising during ad breaks. It is a pain in the ***, it always seems to go really loud when you need it to be quiet and then when you turn it down the ads finish and things are now too quiet...:eek:

Yeah! This is covered in the TVWF. I am surprised that their is an actually loop hole in this rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

I know it has no effect but I surf when ads come on as well, have for years. Often find something better to watch or ending switching between 2 or even 3 shows... :o

Mena wrote: »
    I know it has no effect but I surf when ads come on as well, have for years. Often find something better to watch or ending switching between 2 or even 3 shows... :o

Didn't DFTG ring up Radio Ireland about this, when it first started up. Of course they weren't surfing the web, I think Monica was watching Live at 3 but had the radio on in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Of course it does. If it didn't do you think Sky would have gone to all the trouble of synchronising all the ad-breaks on all their stations?
    Don't believe me? Try surfing on a sky box during an ad-break. What do you get? More ads.

But that's only Sky's channels surely ?
    I notice during prime time slots (7-10) that sometimes programes are on around the same time-ish , so that when Corrie is on ads so is whatever on elsewhere.

BBC for the winnage I say. I'd gladly pay a license fee for them. Sky News had their Managing Director oI think it was on earlier and he was being asked constantly about the "future of the TV license". Murdoch would love a share of that pie!!

But that's only Sky's channels surely ?
    I notice during prime time slots (7-10) that sometimes programes are on around the same time-ish , so that when Corrie is on ads so is whatever on elsewhere.

BBC for the winnage I say. I'd gladly pay a license fee for them. Sky News had their Managing Director oI think it was on earlier and he was being asked constantly about the "future of the TV license". Murdoch would love a share of that pie!!

I would rather a tv licence that costs a little more and no ads. They are starting to seem pointless. Especially on Sky +

Can you record progs on Sky plus and leave out the ads ?

Can you record progs on Sky plus and leave out the ads ?

No, but you can just fast forward through them really fast. When doing that you cant hear them and it is difficult to make out the ads. Some ads have adapted to this by making themselves alot simpler and more visual, but they still don't really work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

nevey wrote: »

The ads would have a raise in volume. It's to grab your attention. Ads in cinemas are very loud also.
    elshambo wrote: »

Its not frequencies (that applies to sound wavelength from long - bass to short - treble). Its called COMPRESSION!, the loudest sound is not actually louder than any other, rather the average is raised to a peak by compression. Its used in music all the time - google The Loudness War

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Its not frequencies (that applies to sound wavelength from long - bass to short - treble). Its called COMPRESSION!, the loudest sound is not actually louder than any other, rather the average is raised to a peak by compression. Its used in music all the time - google The Loudness War

So what is the loudest compression average aloud under the law. Damn Averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dunno but I have a vague idea that the UK authority did slap a channel for excessively loud ad breaks in the last year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I tried to explain it in simple language:eek:;)

it all being digitized nowadays and the likes

Advertisement