Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNFAIR

Options
  • 14-12-2008 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

Was on Trinity website and am fuming....

The reason is because it is so much easier for students who take A-levels to get into the science course I (wanted) to do.

All they need is a A-level grade C in 2 subjects consisting of: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, geology, geography or applied mathematics

L.C students need the same (ie H.C in 2 of those subjects) but also need 420 points, which A-level students don't need.

Jus think this is real unfair:confused:!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Was on Trinity website and am fuming....

The reason is because it is so much easier for students who take A-levels to get into the science course I (wanted) to do.

All they need is a A-level grade C in 2 subjects consisting of: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, geology, geography or applied mathematics

L.C students need the same (ie H.C in 2 of those subjects) but also need 420 points, which A-level students don't need.

Jus think this is real unfair:confused:!!

1. That would be the MINIMUM entry requirement.

2. An A in Alevels= 150 points I think.

3. Alevels are considerably harder than LC.

Mr.S wrote: »
    and we just do 1 exam per subject (except maths and English), they do course work over the year,so i'd say we have it easier as all the leaving cert is, is basically memorizing questions and anwsers for a 2 hour exam in June..

I was talking to a friend of mine up north a few days ago about this, and the only course she has course work for is Art, which is entirely coursework.

So while they have continuous assesment to an extent, exams in january and then in june, its still not perfect.

That said I could be completely wrong :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Mr.S wrote: »
    and we just do 1 exam per subject (except maths and English), they do course work over the year,so i'd say we have it easier as all the leaving cert is, is basically memorizing questions and anwsers for a 2 hour exam in June..

But they do only 3 r 4 subjects, whereas we do 7 or 8 (which is how many I do) and exams are usually 3 hrs.

But I the A-levels cud be harder, I don't know. It just pissed me of a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fad wrote: »
    1. That would be the MINIMUM entry requirement.

2. An A in Alevels= 150 points I think.

3. Alevels are considerably harder than LC.

But so is 420 points. The average grade for an a level is a B and there supposedly easy caus they had to bring in a new grad the A* (which I think is worth 150, not A) because uni's in there couldn't distinguish who were the really good students and who were just "average" students

But so is 420 points. The average grade for an a level is a B and there supposedly easy caus they had to bring in a new grad the A* (which I think is worth 150, not A) because uni's in there couldn't distinguish who were the really good students and who were just "average" students

The 2C's is most likely just a minimum metric value! Not points!

No additional points awarded for A* or S level qualifications.

The only reason thats an average is because you need good grades to stay kn school, a friend of mine got like 2 C's and a D or something in AS levels and she had to repeat her entire 5th year, theyre not easy, they just have quality control in place.

Unis in the UK differentiate using the UCAS form, which has a Personal Statement, and they have interviews.

Read pg11 of the prospectus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

A HC in say, Physics, is not the same as an A-Level C in Physics, so your basis of comparison isn't fair.
    If it makes you feel any better, they have to pay fees to go to college here, which is perhaps why our universities aren't overflowing with "underqualified" A-level students. : p

If it makes you feel any better, they have to pay fees to go to college here, which is perhaps why our universities aren't overflowing with "underqualified" A-level students. : p

Do they? Isnt the whole Free Fee's thing EU based and not just Ireland.
    Rules

If you are an undergraduate student at a publicly funded third-level educational institution, you do not, in general, have to pay fees.
    Free fees

In order to qualify for free fees:

* You must be an EU national or have official refugee status and
    * You must have been living in the EU (this includes any of the accession states) for at least 3 of the 5 years before starting your course

They do have to move country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Hm, interesting. I thought EU students just got a reduction on their fees, but didn't get fully free ones unless they'd been resident in Ireland for x years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

citizensinformation.ie

Advertisement