Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my settings? (Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd)

Options
  • 13-12-2008 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm having a bit of a problem recently with my Fujifilm FinePix S6500fd. It used to take great sharp photos, but recently the photos are all turning out with a watercolour type look to them. I'm even using it in Auto mode so surely any settings i did accidentally change would be reset to default on Auto.

Here's a cropped section of an image, zoomed in 100%....
    image_error1.jpg

See what I mean?

Here's the Metadata from that image file....
    image_error2.gif

And here's a 100% Zoomed crop from another earlier image to show how it used to be...
    image_error3.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I fixed mine (FF S5800) by putting a hairdryer to the lens for about 30 seconds. Cleared it up really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

ISO is a bit high at 800 maybe, though it doesn't look nosiy as such.

Did you compare the EXIF data from a good one to a bad one, and see if anything has been changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

The lens doesn't appear smudged at all, it's perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I just looks like high ISO and noise reduction to me, the reason the bird one is much sharper is that it was taken on a bright day hence the low ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

gary82 wrote: »
    The lens doesn't appear smudged at all, it's perfect...

Neither did mine.
    But then again, mine did get a lot of water vapour inside that time.

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote:
    Did you compare the EXIF data from a good one to a bad one, and see if anything has been changed?

Why didn't I think of that!!

I've found another image, taken indoors with flash, which also used iso 800....and it appears much sharper.

One thing I noticed is the "Compressed bpp" (bits per pixel) on the older one is 4 and the newer one is 2. And the quality is set to "fine" rather than "normal"... seems like a big step down in quality if that's all the problem was but I'll take that photo again and see......

Ok I changed from Auto over to Aperture Priority.... allowing me to manually change the ISO... set that to 100.... and got my old sharp image back again! :D
    image_error4.jpg

I'm still a bit confused though, should the camera not have worked out how to get the clear image on Auto on its own?

I'd always used Auto before (for non "photographic" photos!) and never had that problem.

P.S. Appologies for not finding a more pleasant subject matter than dirty dishes!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

gary82 wrote: »
    Ok I changed from Auto over to Aperture Priority.... allowing me to manually change the ISO... set that to 100.... and got my old sharp image back again! :D

I'm still a bit confused though, should the camera not have worked out how to get the clear image on Auto on its own?

I'd always used Auto before (for non "photographic" photos!) and never had that problem.

P.S. Appologies for not finding a more pleasant subject matter than dirty dishes!! :p

Give it a break its only a camera!

Also it might be focusing on the wall and not on the things in front of it. Auto can be a bit hit and miss on cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well done, ISO was very high just keep an eye on that in future, try to get the best you can with a low ISO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

S6500fd is one of the best superzooms there is, dont like the new fuji ones now. Also theres a great lens on it too. Pity there not made anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

S6500fd is one of the best superzooms there is, dont like the new fuji ones now. Also theres a great lens on it too. Pity there not made anymore : (

Edit sorry bout the double post.

Advertisement