Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone appealed their vrt ?

Options
  • 13-12-2008 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

I've been looking at getting an e46 2003 m3 for a while now and with the price of sterling falling it seems now would be a good time ; that is until I check what vrt on such a car is.

I know it's possible to appeal the amount of vrt that one has paid after handing over the cheque but what can you expect to get back. Haven't checked in a while but I think vrt on a 03 m3 is about €12,000.

Anyone have any stories on how their appeal went?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

last june i paid 6200 vrt for a 03 325ci m sport, bloody thing dropped like a rock!. Not holding water!
    If i had the money i would of got an m3, they are unreal.
    Hold off on paying it i wouldnt be in no mas rush up to the vro,office
    It drops few hundred quid every month the longer you leave it

roslogo.gif

VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX (VRT) ENQUIRY Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) Calculation. CO2 emissions input by Revenue. DATE: 13 December 2008 TIME: 21:22 STATISTICAL CODE: 41185292 MAKE: BMW MODEL: M3 VERSION: E46 02DR / SPORTS COUPE (NON-CONVERTIBLE) / MANUAL / PETROL ONLY / CO2 EMISSIONS: 323</STRONG>
    MILEAGE: 45000 MILES DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION: JANUARY 2003 OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE: €38282 RATE OF TAX: 36% VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date)
    €13781 If you have documentary evidence that the CO2 emissions differ from the above, you may enter the CO2 emissions in the box provided and recalculate the VRT by selecting the Recalculate button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

i appealed... and failed. I had moved back to Ireland with my UK reg car, and tried to sell it 10 months later (got a job with a car). I had been living in the UK for 3 years before that - so I obviously wasn't trying to scam the system.

I was furious over it for a good month after wards.

I think it depends on the person you apply too, and their mood on the day (from what I've heard from people in the department)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Dinkie wrote: »
    i appealed... and failed. I had moved back to Ireland with my UK reg car, and tried to sell it 10 months later (got a job with a car). I had been living in the UK for 3 years before that - so I obviously wasn't trying to scam the system.

I was furious over it for a good month after wards.

I think it depends on the person you apply too, and their mood on the day (from what I've heard from people in the department)

So you drove around for 10 months on yellow reg? Or did you pay the full VRT and look to get it back? Hard to understand what situation you were in here.

Surely the law is the law...if you lived outside the country for more than 6 months and owned the car for same then you can clear it for 50 euro?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

even if they refuse your appeal for refund of VRT - you can appeal that too. Ask for details. At the second time the matter goes either to a supervisory panel or an independent somebody.

Appeal everything - the whole system is bollox and they are nothing but legalized robbers.

I wanted to import a Mazda RX-8 for a friend - could get one trade from the UK (04 low miles good condition) for €7500 - the VRT wanted €7500 roughly, absolute rubbish. Also had a nice Merk CLK Coupe 2001 high miles but lovely Advangarde SE, silver full leather ect, with 100K miles. Car cost me €5000 including delivery - the VRT wanted €4000 -- also noticed that on some models the OMSP went up after July 2001 and have not come down much since then, even though prices have fallen dramatically.

The whole system is one big rib off machine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 monty_mole

Im in the process of appealing at the moment.
    should be anyday now for the result,if i dont get what i want then im goin to the next stage.
    i paid 5k VRT on a 05 SAAB 9-3 vector sport 1.9tid 150bhp.
    I paid 5500euro for the car.

monty_mole wrote: »
    Im in the process of appealing at the moment.
    should be anyday now for the result,if i dont get what i want then im goin to the next stage.
    i paid 5k VRT on a 05 SAAB 9-3 vector sport 1.9tid 150bhp.
    I paid 5500euro for the car.

Can i ask on what grounds can you appeal vrt? i paid 6200 vrt in june. i actually printed off the ros total and brought it with me to santry. the ros slip i printed off said 6200 but when young scruffy vrt boy saw car he said he got 5900. I to my eternal shame said" oh great i got 6200 ( i know i know muppet) he said show me and i did like a tool and he said oh i forgot to put in m sport. so i paid 300 extra and the worse part of it , when log book came out it didnt even have m sport on it!.
    sold car now so prob makes no difference
    moral of story never open your mouth when vrt boy goes looking at your car!!!:mad:

i got 2 adverts off a saab dealer in galway of the exact same car,
    they were being sold for 14,500 and 15,000.
    The revenue value the car at 21,000 vrt is 24%.
    even if you think you wont get anythin back do it anyway,only takes 5 mins.

How did you begin negotiations then with the customs? Did you ring up there head office or your local branch or what?

I will be doing this before the week is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,947 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ronanom wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting an e46 2003 m3 for a while now and with the price of sterling falling it seems now would be a good time ; that is until I check what vrt on such a car is.

I know it's possible to appeal the amount of vrt that one has paid after handing over the cheque but what can you expect to get back. Haven't checked in a while but I think vrt on a 03 m3 is about €12,000.

Anyone have any stories on how their appeal went?

try almost 14k :eek:

an irish one is probably as good value at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

With the way the car market is at the moment, you could have good grounds for an appeal. Their OMSP should be way off the market at the moment

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭oddone

Farls wrote: »
    How did you begin negotiations then with the customs? Did you ring up there head office or your local branch or what?

I will be doing this before the week is out!

I wanted to ask the same as the poster above?

Where did you present the adverts stating the lower OMSP?
    Did you have to fill in a form and send it to the revenue in rosslare?

oddone wrote: »
    I wanted to ask the same as the poster above?

Where did you present the adverts stating the lower OMSP?
    Did you have to fill in a form and send it to the revenue in rosslare?

You have to write a letter to the office in rosslare.
    I bassically wrote that they value a car with 30,000mls the same as a car with 80,000mls(wich they do) wich is bull****. also got the adds off of a registered saab dealer website,and stated they were the exact same car as mine but were 7grand cheaper.

they then sent me a letter sayin they had received my letter and would be looking into it.
    if i dont get anything back i will go onto second stage appeall and repeat the proccess again.
    At least they have to work a bit for my money :)

Hi

I was looking at a nice 2005 Volvo Estate CX7 or 9 recently - auto diesel, 70K miles full leather - a beauty - was going for roughly €12500 from trade in UK

went onto the vrt website to check vrt prices - nearly fell off my seat

they wanted €24500 vrt

they were valuing the car around €55000 if memory serves me

Make those filty legalised criminals work for the money they take of u and me - appeal every thing - even if you have no hope just do it, clog up the system and theyll soon start looking at lowering the OMSP for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭GB15

One thing to note is that you have to pay the initial VRT figure regardless of whether you plan to appeal it or not. You then have 2 months from the day you pay the VRT to make the inital appeal.

With this in mind I would pay the VRT and then wait out the two months. The way the market is falling you will then be in an even stronger position to appeal.

GB15 wrote: »
    One thing to note is that you have to pay the initial VRT figure regardless of whether you plan to appeal it or not. You then have 2 months from the day you pay the VRT to make the inital appeal.

With this in mind I would pay the VRT and then wait out the two months. The way the market is falling you will then be in an even stronger position to appeal.

Where did you get the 2 month figure from?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Farls wrote: »
    Where did you get the 2 month figure from?

section from vrt manual
    6.3.1.1 Lodgement of Appeal
    An appeal must:
    &#56256;&#56456; be lodged in writing;
    &#56256;&#56456; set out in detail the reasons for the appeal (reassessment of the facts/decision in the case);
    &#56256;&#56456; be accompanied by all supporting documentary evidence (any vehicle/s to which the appeal relates must be produced on request by the appointed officer);
    &#56256;&#56456; be lodged within 2 months (may be extended in exception circumstances) from the date of:
    • the payment of VRT
    , or
    • the refusal of a relief/exemption/repayment/remission, or
    • notification of:
    ⇒ a deletion from/amendment to the register of vehicles;
    ⇒ a determination of OMSP by the Commissioners;
    ⇒ granting/refusal/revocation of an authorisation.
    [SECTION 6]
    An appellant may lodge an appeal personally or have one lodged on his/her behalf by a professional representative. The appellant must be notified that the appeal has been received and that a determination will be made within 30 days from the date of receipt.

Allright, got the result of my appeal today(waiting a long time).
    I'm getting a refund of 1,940euro :D
    i paid 4970euro when i registered it.
    They said in the letter that after speaking with people in the motor industry that my car wasnt worth the 21,000 they valued it at.
    But with the mileage it was worth 11,000.

Thats a big difference,just wondering how many people havn't appealed being overcharged like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Allright, got the result of my appeal today(waiting a long time).
    I'm getting a refund of 1,940euro :D
    i paid 4970euro when i registered it.
    They said in the letter that after speaking with people in the motor industry that my car wasnt worth the 21,000 they valued it at.
    But with the mileage it was worth 11,000.

Thats a big difference,just wondering how many people havn't appealed being overcharged like that.

:) Nice one! How long were you waiting exactly? - I'm just about ready to submit an appeal tomorrow. Did you notice if the revenue adjusted their figures on the website - or do they hope nobody else will notice their misvaluation of the OMSP??

i appealed in the around the middle of October.
    I just checked the website and the car is on there for 18,500euro.

• Advertisement

i appealed in the around the middle of October.

At a guess I would say they don't drop the OMSP much because of the lack of people who actually do appeal.

€1900 thats a great result - thats cheered me up no end today!

I've been reading a lot of posts on the issue of VRT and appeals and sometimes I can't believe my eyes when I read people saying "its not worth appealing" - as it clearly is as Monty-Mole has demonstrated.

Less than 1 % of those that VRT cars actually Appeal - and yet it is clear that the Revenue Over Estimate Values, thus the majority of people are paying out too much VRT and never claim it back!

However - as I always say, this is a paradox as VRT shouldnt exist in the first place!

APPEAL APPEAL APPEAL - PLease just make Rosslare work for the money they steal from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think people should appeal if they feel they have been overcharged. More should do it. then they might look at fixing the OMSP figures to properly reflect the market.
    There is a fair bit of admin work that could be saved on their side too.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

Hi monty_mole,

In your appeal did you give the a figure of what you thougt the car was worth and if so did they value it at your suggestion or lower than it.

The reason I ask is I sent in an appeal in Early November so therfore I should receive a reply within the next few weeks. I suugested an realistic price but wished I had suggested a lower one now due to the collapse of the car market

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PCwiggum

Why am I not surprised...

foxirl wrote: »
    Hi monty_mole,

In your appeal did you give the a figure of what you thougt the car was worth and if so did they value it at your suggestion or lower than it.

The reason I ask is I sent in an appeal in Early November so therfore I should receive a reply within the next few weeks. I suugested an realistic price but wished I had suggested a lower one now due to the collapse of the car market

I dont think it matters what you suggest,I sent in 2 adverts of the same car as mine, same year,colour,mileage.
    They were off a SAAB dealer in galway,he was selling them for 14k and 14.5k(i think they were on sale as well.).
    And the VRO value my car at 10,550euro now.

I wan't expecting that much back so im chuffed, i was thinking more in the way of 600-700 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭foxirl

I dont think it matters what you suggest,I sent in 2 adverts of the same car as mine, same year,colour,mileage.
    They were off a SAAB dealer in galway,he was selling them for 14k and 14.5k(i think they were on sale as well.).
    And the VRO value my car at 10,550euro now.

I wan't expecting that much back so im chuffed, i was thinking more in the way of 600-700 euro.

Hope it works out as well as that for me then.

I have a very awkward case where the vehicle I've just paid through the nose on VRT on isn't actually available in Ireland. Well this specific model isn't.

I have a very good case though as I got a registered insurance assessor to put an 'irish market' price on my vehicle. It turns out to be 10k under the OMSP that I paid VRT on.

Should be interesting what the VRO say to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

in the appeal should you mention that the selling price of similar cars include the VRT therefore the OSMP should be this price minus the VRT rather than based on this amount.

I imported a Toyota Corolla Verso 08 1.8T3, they are selling/advertised from 24.5-27k, so if the actual selling price is true then the value for VRT basis should be 24.5/1.28= 19140 and ver at 28% should be 5360 whereas the OSMP of the car is 23300 and the VRT calc of 28% is 6546, therefore valuing the car at over 29k 23.3+6.6.

Now given that the advertised prices of cars are being reduced for cash sales by 10-20%, do you think the customs will acknowledge the above that the OSMP should be the VRT exclusive price of cars being sold locally, or si that what they are meant to represent ?

Just believe that the 6.5k VRT is far too high, given the current climate and the OSMP if it is menat to be the basis for calculation of VRT of 23k is far too high.

Any deas whether should mention the above, or just submit details of the two locally which are selling for 24.5k and explain that the realistic prices should be less 10-20% of this, so 23.3 as an OSMP to base additional VRT on is way too high.

Any thoughts ? am going to appeal anyway but want to know what to say and maybe what not.

• Advertisement

hi

ask for 10% off from a dealer and then get them to email you back with a quote of the asking price: and then use this in your appeal as actual asking prices out there in the market!

Clever hey?

Advertisement