Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cross Border speeding

Options
  • 13-12-2008 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Question, I'm from Southern Ireland and I went up to Northern Ireland, If I was speeding in Northern Ireland and got caught by a police camera, will i get a fine or/& penalty points? I was not stopped by the police, but I think the camera caught me breaking the limit......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well as you didnt get stopped you should be ok, thats not to say you wont get a fine in the post, which you can ignore, but if your stopped again in the North then they will arrest you and give you an even bigger fine....

However, no penalty points(yet)you will get a hefty fine, around £200 I think.. and if you dont have the sterling on you, they will bring you back to the Police station where you can pay by credit card...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well as you didnt get stopped you should be ok, thats not to say you wont get a fine in the post, which you can ignore, but if your stopped again in the North then they will arrest you and give you an even bigger fine....

However, no penalty points(yet)you will get a hefty fine, around £200 I think.. and if you dont have the sterling on you, they will bring you back to the Police station where you can pay by credit card...

Are you sure about this. I have been travelling to the North every week (once or twice a week) for the last 9 years and have never been sent a fine in the post. I do not go mad but tend to ignore the averaging cameras and travel at 120kmph on the dual carriageway. They have been actively policing the roadworks (40mph zone) and I stick to 100kmph throughout. I will slow if I spot them and they are not that hard to spot. Always in same few places. Banbridge and Hillsborough especially. I have seen them stop IRL regs using the tag team approach. Camera van first and then a red passat estate further down close to the Hillsboruogh roundabout. Granted those who were stopped were "flying". I can imagine a fine for them.

Since penalty points have arrived on this side of the border, there has been a very noticelable decrease in speed among IRL drivers when north of the border. Still a few speeders but before penalty points there would be a line in the right lane of IRL drivers pushing as hard as they could all the way to Belfast. Now you get about equal numbers of IRL and NI drivers pushing it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm actually noticing more and more white-plate cars doing 60mph on the A1 due to assuming that thats what the NSL signs mean!

Two friends have been pulled; one fined and one given a lecture but let off (but told that the next speed check would not be as lenient, and there was another 10 miles or so down).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭sammy657

Hmmmmm when you cross the border and the lines in the road change and you see the nsl sign i see cameras there right on the border are they them specs average ones? They start at the border and head to the Cloghogue roundabout and are the same on the way back right to the roi border change

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, any cameras on the border are more likely NRA traffic counter ones - the only SPECS installation in NI is on the very poor quality Beech Hill DC out of Newry to the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm actually noticing more and more white-plate cars doing 60mph on the A1 due to assuming that thats what the NSL signs mean!

But if there are NSL signs on it and it's an A-road (non-dual carraigeway), then isn't the speed limit 60mph?

Advertisement