Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Laptop charger Problem

Options
  • 13-12-2008 4:36pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have my Vostro about 6 months. Today just now my charger has stopped working. Green light does not come on. Charger just makes a beeping noise.
    This happen to anybody? I take it I will have to return it to dell and it can not be fixed? Need a new one fast. :/
    Their saturday phone line seems to not be manned.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The only thing that is really user-repairable on a PSU is the fuse (at the plug, not internal) and if you're getting a beeping noise, the fuse is fine. So back to Dell with the charger unfortunately.

The beeping noise is just an anomaly of the PSU design (switch-mode) which can make that beeping noise if there is an internal short/failure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, this always happens when you need it most. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Same thing happened to me last night. Think my warranty is just up too.
    Le me know how you get on?

Would a reular 60w do the job for a little while I wonder?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hello sweetie, I rang them this morning, I am still under warranty. They said it should arrive by tomorrow or the day after. They will also call me back to make sure everything is ok which is very good. :)

If you are not in warranty you may have to get one online. Theya re not too expensive as dell are common. Also, if you get a universal 19.5v adaptop i think it will power the laptop but it will not charge the battery.

out of warranty on the 3rd of december :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Most Dell plugs work with any laptop.

My old charger for my XPS wasn't working and doing that beepy thing too. Got a new one sent out hte next day. Sadly it seems it's the motherboard that's fúcked.

Most Dell plugs work with any laptop.

My old charger for my XPS wasn't working and doing that beepy thing too. Got a new one sent out hte next day. Sadly it seems it's the motherboard that's fúcked.

cheers boards birthday buddie

:D

Rang 10am yesterday. Delivered 2:30pm today, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Instead of making a new thread, I may as well ask here. (google brought me to this page)

Went to plug in my laptop last night and this happened to me. (It was funny cause I plugged it into my wall but I didnt go to use the laptop straight away. Then I noticed the beeping noise a min later, had no idea where it was coming from. Was a min or 2 before I traced it back to my laptop charger)

So yeah anyway mines fooked now it seems too. For no reason at all :confused:

So where do I get a new charger? I'm deffo outa my year warranty on my vostro at this stage.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Well that's strange, it randomly started working again :confused:

• Advertisement

That's fortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

this recently happened to my Dell Inspiron 1501 but if I plugged in the charger it would work but not actulaay charge the battery. Now mthe battery has blown and €150 to replace so i'll probably just get a new laptop,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mad_max_power

Had a few dell laptops in my time and the power supply always goes eventually.

You can get a universal power supply in PC world for around 50 euro, make sure it says it can be used with a dell laptop. Not all can.

Best of luck

The product i bought was a iGO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 mad_max_power

Had a few dell laptops in my time and the power supply always goes eventually.

You can get a universal power supply in PC world for around 50 euro, make sure it says it can be used with a dell laptop. Not all can.

Best of luck

The product i bought was a iGO.

Advertisement