Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking for low price you may get it :)

Options
  • 13-12-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭

I was looking for a TV for a present this christmas 32" LCD. There is one in Aldi on Sunday for €400 or maybe from Ebay in Dublin for €460 but you have to bid & it could be higher. Then after hearing about people driving to the North I looked online for price up there. Argos £350 for Samsung 32" not bad as it it worked out about €380ish. Its a long drive & maybe lunch etc. Just before heading off I emailed Powercity. Would you give me this TV for €420? The gave me a call & said I could have a Samsung 32" which was €629 now €99 for €450. OK its almost €70 difference but saving on fuel, time & extra's if you drive North. Any way don't be afriad to ask for lower price in these hard times :)

Regards Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Good Stuff, its all about bargaining now and the power is in the consumers hands for a change and not the retailer

My sister was in Power City Drogheda 2 weeks ago and was spending 1600euro on various appliances, the sales guy offered her ..wait for it ... 15 euro off the total price.. she laughed in his face.. but it gets better.. as she walked away he came after her and offered her another 10 euro off.
    25 euro off 1600 euro purchases.. pathetic.. needless to say she declined his offer and went elsewhere .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

gar32 wrote: »
    I was looking for a TV for a present this christmas 32" LCD. There is one in Aldi on Sunday for €400 or maybe from Ebay in Dublin for €460 but you have to bid & it could be higher. Then after hearing about people driving to the North I looked online for price up there. Argos £350 for Samsung 32" not bad as it it worked out about €380ish. Its a long drive & maybe lunch etc. Just before heading off I emailed Powercity. Would you give me this TV for €420? The gave me a call & said I could have a Samsung 32" which was €629 now €99 for €450. OK its almost €70 difference but saving on fuel, time & extra's if you drive North. Any way don't be afriad to ask for lower price in these hard times :)

Regards Gary

Do you have the model number of the samsung tv?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Good Stuff, its all about bargaining now and the power is in the consumers hands for a change and not the retailer

My sister was in Power City Drogheda 2 weeks ago and was spending 1600euro on various appliances, the sales guy offered her ..wait for it ... 15 euro off the total price.. she laughed in his face.. but it gets better.. as she walked away he came after her and offered her another 10 euro off.
    25 euro off 1600 euro purchases.. pathetic.. needless to say she declined his offer and went elsewhere .

tell us more, where did she go?
    how much of a better offer did she get?

thanks.

kceire wrote: »
    tell us more, where did she go?
    how much of a better offer did she get?

thanks.

She went to Briscoe electrics, now named expert electrical on the southside of Drogheda, they knocked off 200 euro off the 1600 euro and delivered next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It usually depends on the item. Many sales guys get a % of the profit. And the profit can be little or nothing on some loss leader items, and stuff on sale. i.e. it is not always the same % they can take off. A different 1600 worth of items might have got 300 off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Yeah, I definatly agree that you should try your best these days to cut people down on price. As long as it's the kind of place that has people on the shop floor that have the authority of doing so.
    Buying a car these days you should knock about 20% off the asking.
    Also if ou are paying for anythin over 300 euro or so in cash you should demand some money off.

rubadub wrote: »
    It usually depends on the item. Many sales guys get a % of the profit. And the profit can be little or nothing on some loss leader items, and stuff on sale. i.e. it is not always the same % they can take off. A different 1600 worth of items might have got 300 off.

See my previous post above, the next store in drogheda she walked into they knocked 200 euro off with little haggling

I know sales guys get a cut of their sales, but 25 euro discount on 1600 euro ?? I dont know anyone else who would not walk out the door if offered such an insult discount like that especially in the current economic conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

Model: LE32A451C1XXEU 32" its on their web site :)http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32A451

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the secret behind being a good haggler is you always need to be prepared to walk away

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

It always was in the hands of the consumer, it's just that they didn't seem to care very much. I would agree that you must be prepared to walk away though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

bargaining,,,,bargaining ,,,,,bargaining
    now my story, i went in did bosh washing machine on sale 420, what you can offer me he said 400, whet in currys again same washing machine 420 he offerd me 400 but i wanted to buy another fridg which was 650 on offer (original price was 750) then he offerd me boht for 1000 but i insist free delivery to portlaoise and after few minuts bargaining he agree (standard deliver charges dublin to portlaoise 120euro) now let me count how much i saved:rolleyes:
    one thing i always bargain and always get good price ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I cannot haggle - too embarassing when the say no 9/10 times.

Was in a shop recently and I witnessed a woman haggling for something that cost €15! She got them down to €7.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Toughen up!
    There is no shame at all in haggling if it's a big purchase, now don't start haggling for the daily newspaper.
    Not only do sales staff not mind, they almost expect it. So are you saying you can haggle with a car salesman but you won't haggle over a TV costing over 1k?? Better in your pocket then theirs.

Just remember, you need to do it with sales staff or a manager, the 18 year old at the till can't give you a discount so don't waste your time

wasim21k wrote: »
    bargaining,,,,bargaining ,,,,,bargaining
    now my story, i went in did bosh washing machine on sale 420, what you can offer me he said 400, whet in currys again same washing machine 420 he offerd me 400 but i wanted to buy another fridg which was 650 on offer (original price was 750) then he offerd me boht for 1000 but i insist free delivery to portlaoise and after few minuts bargaining he agree (standard deliver charges dublin to portlaoise 120euro) now let me count how much i saved:rolleyes:
    one thing i always bargain and always get good price ;)

My brain almost froze a few times reading you post , had to get the decoder out to understand your post:D
    Think i got the point though, save save save !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

when you recieve your quote from axa wait for about 10 days before you ring them, ask for a reduction, which usualy is about 150 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know sales guys get a cut of their sales, but 25 euro discount on 1600 euro ?? I dont know anyone else who would not walk out the door if offered such an insult discount like that especially in the current economic conditions.
    Some get a cut of sale, some a cut of PROFIT, that was my point. I know a guy who sold over €10,000 worth of furniture to a customer but it was all on sale and made pittance, he could make more selling a high profit item for €300. If he gives a discount it comes out of his pocket/profit so he simply cannot afford give much off certain things. Dunno how powercity works.
    An easier way is to have another person with you. The second person could have a notebook or just act like they remember the prices in other shops. Let the sales guy overhear you discussing. e.g. saying to each other "what did it cost on pixmania/currys etc" and see if they will match or better the price you come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

My brain almost froze a few times reading you post , had to get the decoder out to understand your post:D
    Think i got the point though, save save save !

To save babelfish the hassle:

did = DID
    bosh = Bosch
    fridg = fridge
    boht = both
    offerd = offered
    minuts = minutes
    whet in= went into

• Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I work in my old lads tile shop every now and again and I dont think I've ever not been asked by anyone "is that the best you can do", i mean ever! Its funny how people will always ask for a discount on some things like tiles and cars, but wouldnt think of asking it off Tvs or whatever.

From a employees perspective in my case there is some items I can reduce , there is some items i cant touch. For instance if you ordered €1005 of the tiles i cant touch the price of I literally couldn't even round it down to €1000 on the computer system, I literally can not change the price of those items!

I guess its different for me seeing as its a family owned business and I'm not making any commission, but I'd always like to see a customer get a good deal.

There is also no point haggling at the till, they all ready know your prepared to buy at that stage.

The useful part of my post ends here!
    Now the other side of the haggling coin is people who try take advantage of you: eg A woman came into the shop one day, she had been in before but had not been dealing with me. She needed quite a considerable amount of tiles, but she was looking at tiles i couldnt change the price of. She showed me a sample of a similar tile from another shop saying that they were offering it for €5 less than us and if we could match the price she'd go with us. (the shop that tile was from wouldn't be best known for prices to put it nicely :))

Me: When did you get that tile off them?
    Her: A couple of weeks ago now
    Me: And they are still doing it for that price?
    Her: Yeah, i confirmed with them on the phone this week
    Me: Em ok, you know the've been closed down for about 2 months right?
    Her: ---

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I have always haggled with prices on TVs,washing machines,cars etc.. it not just in these times people should be haggling i was doing it in the good times.That why i never shop in Argos no one to haggle with.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

thanks m8, thats nice decoding ;)
    milltown wrote: »
    To save babelfish the hassle:

did = DID
    bosh = Bosch
    fridg = fridge
    boht = both
    offerd = offered
    minuts = minutes
    whet in= went into

• Advertisement