Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Old Whisky & Scotch collection

Options
  • 13-12-2008 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Hello to all

I have an elderly customer of mine who yesterday told me he has a large collection of old irish whiskey, scotch and bourbon for sale.

He has being an avid collector since the 50's and has accumulated over 100 bottles, which he says a majority of them are single malts - all unopened.

Now, i dont know a whole lot about whisky(eys), ive only started my collection with a 12yr & 21yr Bushmills.

He has asked me if i know of anyone, anywhere who might be interested in such a collection as he wants it all to be sold in 1 lot. Where would i look for such collectors?

(This is not an advert, This is the only place i can get the best info about this)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dabko wrote: »
    Hello to all

I have an elderly customer of mine who yesterday told me he has a large collection of old irish whiskey, scotch and bourbon for sale.

He has being an avid collector since the 50's and has accumulated over 100 bottles, which he says a majority of them are single malts - all unopened.

Now, i dont know a whole lot about whisky(eys), ive only started my collection with a 12yr & 21yr Bushmills.

He has asked me if i know of anyone, anywhere who might be interested in such a collection as he wants it all to be sold in 1 lot. Where would i look for such collectors?

(This is not an advert, This is the only place i can get the best info about this)

If they are good, the celtic whiskey shop on dawson street will taken them off his hands. But if they are just bog standard bottles from 50 years ago, they mightn't be worth that much.

If they are really valuable, it would be hard to get one individual to buy them, as if they are worth €100 each that would be €10k's worth of whiskey. If celtic whiskey shop says no, he could sell them on ebay or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

If they are good, the celtic whiskey shop on dawson street will taken them off his hands. But if they are just bog standard bottles from 50 years ago, they mightn't be worth that much.

If they are really valuable, it would be hard to get one individual to buy them, as if they are worth €100 each that would be €10k's worth of whiskey. If celtic whiskey shop says no, he could sell them on ebay or something.

I might know people who'd buy it. Can you post a list of what he has?

eBay is a bid dodgy, because technically you're not allowed sell alcohol there, although it can be listed as collectable containers.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop is a good idea too. They sell more Irish than Scotch, though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Brockagh wrote: »
    I might know people who'd buy it.

100 bottles in one go? It warms the cockles of my heart to know that even in a recession there are some people who are serious whiskey collectors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

Obviously it depends on what's in the collection and what price is being sought. But there are many serious collectors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Contact the Scotch Malt Whisky Society at smws.com, they should be able to help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 yt1984

Would anybody no some who could help with pricing a jack daniles set I have cannt find much info about it

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Wow u resurected a fairly old thread but no matter ....

Jack Daniels may not be as collectible as it possibly would be back in the states but it may have some value if we can figure out what exactly you have.

Any chance of popping up a picture or 2. The bottles will need to be in good condition with no major damage to the seals.

Wow u resurected a fairly old thread but no matter ....

Jack Daniels may not be as collectible as it possibly would be back in the states but it may have some value if we can figure out what exactly you have.

Any chance of popping up a picture or 2. The bottles will need to be in good condition with no major damage to the seals.

Yea ill do that there in perfect condition seal still on them along with tags

yt1984 wrote: »
    Yea ill do that there in perfect condition seal still on them along with tags

Haven't used this in years how do I upload a pic .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

(going on the other thread - its the two bottle Prohibition set)

Its worth a bit, but not insane money - its only bottled in 2008, it will likely end up worth more in future.

There was a set sold at Christies for $245 last year (http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/wine/70th-anniversary-jack-daniels-distillery-re-opens-75th-5832419-details.aspx) although that seems to be a little on the low side due to it being in a mostly wine sale.

You *might* get €500 for it private sale, as a semi-educated stab in the dark. A dealer won't pay anywhere near as much.

Apparently it was about $90 at retail when out so it has appreciated quite a bit.

• Advertisement

Thank you very much ☺

Advertisement