Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techniques for speaking more naturally

Options
  • 13-12-2008 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭

So here's the deal, I'm in 5th year and doing German as a leaving cert subject and I really love it. The thing is, I'd really like to be able to speak it properly and fluently, as all the class really seems to be teaching is the same old stuff, grammar, verbs etc. (which, while being important, doesn't really help me to speak naturally), besides the oral, but most of that is learning off. I'm looking for ways to improve my spoken german and be able to use it more naturally. Are there any things I can do do in everyday life that will help? I've started throwing the odd german sentance in when talking to friends, and I'm also looking for German films to watch online. Anyone have any ideas? Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

The only surefire way to learn is actually to speak with Germans. Sure there are some Germans around?
    Also helpful is reading (aloud) German newspapers or books, preferably novels, just to get into the rhythm of the language. But do it without looking up every word you don't understand. Just go with the flow.
    You could copy an audiobook on your MP3-player and listen to or talk along with it. Same with German songs.
    Watch German TV on your computer. Google the stations, most have podcasts.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

+1 for speaking with Germans.

Truth is, the best way to learn any language is to immerse yourself in it. Would you consider going to Germany for a few weeks in the summer? Ask your teacher about the possibility of a language exchange or google summer schools in Germany. It's something I never did but anyone I know that did couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

palaver wrote: »
    The only surefire way to learn is actually to speak with Germans. Sure there are some Germans around?
    Also helpful is reading (aloud) German newspapers or books, preferably novels, just to get into the rhythm of the language.

There are 2 germans in my year that I've made friends with, they don't speak much german as they're trying to improve their english but I think I'll try and engage in the odd conversation in german. Any ideas where I'd pick up some novels in german? Would Easons or other big book stores have them or will I have to search the smaller bookshops? Thanks :)
    An Citeog wrote: »
    +1 for speaking with Germans.

Truth is, the best way to learn any language is to immerse yourself in it. Would you consider going to Germany for a few weeks in the summer? Ask your teacher about the possibility of a language exchange or google summer schools in Germany. It's something I never did but anyone I know that did couldn't recommend it enough.

Some of the lads in my class took part in an exchange last year. I couldn't take part as i was busy with other things in school while they were away, but when the germans were over I made great friends and it did help my speaking. Myself and a few friends are hoping to go visit them over our February midterm, when Karneval is on, so I really hope that works out :) Flights are dirt cheap. I've looked at exchange programmes and they seem extremely expensive, I'm not sure my parents would be able to afford it. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I've never heard of this: http://www.mylanguageexchange.com/Search.asp?selCountry=48

Would they be of use?

Or? http://www.germany.ie/en/home/impressum.html

Site isn't great but at least this has a phone number. Would they / Goethe Institut organise an event in Cork? Replies seem to be Corkonian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Kersmash wrote: »
    Any ideas where I'd pick up some novels in german? Would Easons or other big book stores have them or will I have to search the smaller bookshops? Thanks :)

Smaller bookshops or second hand bookshops are a better bet. Easons is too mainstream. But they do have the occasional German newspaper.
    Or try the local library. They usually have some foreign language books. Don't know about Cork, though.

You'll find stuff to read on http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/.
    But mind, it's mostly classics, not exactly modern German. But it's a start.
    Or read the online-paper www.spiegel.de.
    Or watch a bit of German TV: www.ardmediathek.de/ard/servlet/

Trouble with Germans is that all of them try to improve their English. You could ask your friends to have a 'German evening 'or such like when everybody is obliged to speak German only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Vero

hi!
    check in the local language schools, usually there should be plenty of german people there, because there are lots of students and au-pairs all over ireland.
    if you want to listen to german radio:
    http://www.swr3.de/musik/webradio/-/id=47410/15xko6o/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

there's a MeetUp in Dublin for German speakers, native and Irish people. There might be one in Cork. try MeetUp.com

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Listen to the german news, slowly and at full speed on Deutsche Welle. Transcripts also provided to check those words you just don't know.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,,2547,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Try 'Modern Languages' and 'International Books' bookshops, one's on South Fredrick Street I believe (one of those ones off Nassau Street across from Trinity) and the other just up from Pearse train station. Both have books in German, novels, ones that are graded depending on your level etc. Have a look at some German tv for sure, I loved Sat 1 when I was there, they have Germany's next top model and Deutschland sucht den Superstar (Like American Idol), so learning is also fun! Viel Glueck! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

Sorry, just realised you're in Cork not Dublin but maybe you're up here sometimes and could try those stores :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement